Installing V-Boost where there wasn't one...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hurleyman77

Reaction score
(I'd swear I've asked this question before, but I can't find where, so feel free to redirect me)

I bought a '94 a couple of years ago and soon discovered that it did not have V-Boost installed at all. It runs great (mostly) so I haven't thought much about it until now. I'm planning to do some fairly extensive work on it in the near future, so I'm thinking it might be a good opportunity to install (re-install?) the V-Boost, while I have it apart.

So, the questions are two-fold. Firstly, how much crap am I stepping in? I'm pretty comfortable working on the carbs (I've cleaned them, tuned the A/F mix and synced them), and I've done plenty of other work on it like replacing the main steering bearing and the starter clutch. Which is to ask, how difficult would it be relative to that kind of work? (I've also done all kinds of work on cars, so I'm pretty familiar with engine work in general).

Secondly, what all do I need? I can't really tell if this thing ever had V-Boost at all (does such a thing exist as a VMax without V-Boost?) so I don't know what kind of electronics my also be missing from the equation. How hard is it to get a kit that would have everything?

Lastly, what are the implications of installing V-Boost on a bike that's already tuned (sorta) well? Is V-Boost going to throw everything off, and need to be re-tuned? or is it simply a matter of tweaking the AF a little? (I'm running with pot filters instead of the airbox, some kind of Kerker exhaust that the last guy did and insulated pipes).

In summary:
1) Is this a great big hairy deal of a job?
2) How can I tell if I already have what I need, aside from the assembly itself?
3) What ELSE will I need to because of installing the V-Boost?

Thanks, fellas!

If it was set up for stage 7 carbs and the Vboost was replaced with straight runners you'll want to leave it alone. If it never had Vboost because it was sent out to certain countries, you may be in a world of the unknown to me. Need Close Up Pictures of the area under the carbs to start with.

Assuming the vboost system is completely removed you will need all these items I quickly thought of and I may have left some thing out, but all these item can be found fairly easily if you contact Sean Morley or Captainkyle. You might find some of the parts for sale here on the forum iin the Buy/Sell section. Like Specs mentioned if the bike has the original Ignitor box/ecm sold in USA and not an import from another country where they had restictions on the HP all you would have to do is install everything and adjust Vboost cable.

1. Vboost controller located under the left scoop

2. Vboost servo motor with cable and bracket (holder)

3. Vboost butterfly mechanisim

I think all year models are interchangeable also.

Attachments

• manifolds.jpg
    manifolds.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 30
  • servo motor.jpg
    servo motor.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 27
  • vboost controller.jpg
    vboost controller.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 29
I installed vboost on my Jpn spec bike. Took about 6 hours and not difficult if you are comfortable with the carbs. If its not a US spec bike, there are a bunch of other little things you need to consider, like the speed limiter in speedo, the switches, wiring harness, etc. Cost of individual parts if buying used isnt too bad, but it adds up quick.

Assuming the vboost system is completely removed you will need all these items I quickly thought of and I may have left some thing out, but all these item can be found fairly easily if you contact Sean Morley or Captainkyle. You might find some of the parts for sale here on the forum iin the Buy/Sell section. Like Specs mentioned if the bike has the original Ignitor box/ecm sold in USA and not an import from another country where they had restictions on the HP all you would have to do is install everything and adjust Vboost cable.

1. Vboost controller located under the left scoop

2. Vboost servo motor with cable and bracket (holder)

3. Vboost butterfly mechanisim

I think all year models are interchangeable also.

I was looking at these parts on Ebay just to get an idea of the prices of the 3 items I listed was about 4-$500 dollars. I'm sure you could do much better than that from Sean Morley or some one parting out their bike here on the forum. Then you have to figure costs of the items the other members have added to that just for Vboost. I have the mounting bracket for the servo mtr. you can have for just the shipping charges.

Well, the VIN on the steering post starts with a 'J,' but the engine serial is '2WE-040040' so I'll bet the last owner replaced the Jap engine with a US one... but there's really no telling what all he did.

Here are some pics of Ugly's carbs and S/N: https://plus.google.com/111156147529108366381/posts/MzzvW1ZubGJ

After looking at johnpclynch's write up, I'll bet the carbs are US. They don't have the restricted slides or the blocks (I think), but it also doesn't have V-Boost. So that seems to suggest that all I really need to do is install the V-Boost parts, and maybe unrestrict the TCI... if the last guy didn't.

There were a few other visible ways to tell if you have a fully restricted model
- exhaust outlet size
- no reflectors on the rad covers
- bigger reflector behind the seat
- reserve switch under the starter button
- speedo only goes to ~185kph
- RPM red line is at 8,500rpm

attachment.php
attachment.php

Interesting... Thanks!

Turns out, it looks like the frame is the only thing that remains of the original limited bike. The instrument cluster has been replaced, the right-hand controls were replaced the day I bought it, the exhaust is after-market, the tail behind the seat has been replaced... etc.

The only thing I still need to confirm is whether or not the electronics have been replaced already.

OH DON'T DO IT....Just sell it and buy a US Spec VMax or perhaps become sane and buy a Suzuki 109 V-Twin. The conversion will end up costing you millions of dollars. No Kidding.

I think you misunderstand. I didn't clarify that all these components have been replaced with US spec parts.

Which is to say, most of the conversion has already been done by the last guy :-D It looks like the only thing left to do is install the V-Boost.

The other thing is, I've actually fallen in love with this bike in particular. I'd rather keep it the way it is, than sell it ;-)

Why not just install a stage 7 kit with the tubes fully open and be done with it.
A lot less hassle of fitting up the Vboost.

A lot of conversion here in europe with the EU harness.
You need :
-Vboost butterflies
-Vboost servomotor
-Vboost controller

You can find it at good price at Morley Muscle ;)

Then you have to "make"' the vboost electrical connector :
3 wires and flat female plugs :
- +12V ignition ON
- Ground
- Trigger wire, from tachometer (grey wire)

Nothing difficult, can be done in 30 minutes..

Thanks Thor!

jedi, I've not heard about the stage 7 kit. What is that? If it's less hassle with similar results, I'd be happy ;-)

If your bike have stock exhaust or slip-ons, the Vboost will give better results.
I ve got a Dynojet stage 7 with Strapps slip ons, no way to tune it correctly without O2 wideband sensor, jets provided are too large.
And Vboost will give you more grunt at middle 4000-5000 RPM.

I went through the entire process of installing vboost, and then changing pipes and adding the jet kit. Would have been a lot cheaper to just skip the vboost and go to jet kit. Most other things like speedo, sliders, etc had already been changed to US spec.

It seems like it's already been rejetted, but it's hard to tell without tearing it apart, AFAIK.

Back