Latest project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traumahawk

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my latest project.

This is for a friend of mine....and it will eventually be given to his daughter as a present. It was dropped by.....as well as boxes of "stuff", last week.

This friend of mine is a old biker from WAY back when. When I asked him why did he want me to build it, (He has the connections to have ANY HD mechanic to build it) he said that he wanted the bike to have "heart".

I am very honored by that.

Attachments

• 20150320_171708[1].jpg
    20150320_171708[1].jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 81
Looks like a welded-on hardtail, w/a huge gusset but not being a H-D expert, I couldn't tell you what frame served as the donor.

I stopped by the H-D dealer "Space Coast H-D" on my way back to the Miami FL area after Bike Week recently, and the salesman had a whole row of the new 500 and 750 Harley water-cooled bikes. He called them 'Metrics,' and said it like the word tasted badly. I sat on one, and it seemed to have reasonable ergos. I am not a fan of limited ground clearance, floorboards, and minimal power. I wouldn't be surprised if these new bikes didn't bring in a lot of younger riders to the H-D stable. They need to price them right or they won't compete against the bikes like the FZ/FJ-09, the Bolt, and the other contenders.

Needs an S&S 126ci thumper in there!! I have no doubt though that youll do a great job on it and im looking forward to seeing it take shape... even if its accelationally challenged, lol.

The way you go through your max, I'm sure you'll build a cool HD. You say it will eventually belong to his daughter. Try to find out what she like about bikes & maybe incorporate that into it. Keep us update on the build, very cool Eric

Good luck with the build Eric. I'm about to start an old kz900 hard tail chopper restoration for a friend too.

I do know the 1972 Sportster was a 1000 cc engine & not an 883 cc. Back then my roommate bought one new. So the '73 would be a 1000 cc. I had a '71 H1 500 Kawi two-stroke triple which would walk the dog on his Sportster, leaving him in a big blue cloud of Klotz two-stroke oil.

I think to hop it up is to make it less reliable, keeping the engine stock will make it not have issues. Because of the vibration parts will still loosen & fatigue/break. He would be better off getting her some metric cruiser but he's a H-D guy evidently. If she wants to she should get plenty of wrench time keeping it on the road. Dogs and Harleys, as the saying goes.

Hardtails are not known for comfort.

It looks like the some Sportster models were available in 883 cc and 1000 cc (and even 750 cc) from 1957 on.
XL, Ironhead, 1957–1985: 883 cc and 1,000 cc Ironhead overhead-valve engines with cast iron heads, K series frame
XLCH, Ironhead, (unofficial "Competition Hot" moniker) 1958–1971: 883 cc, and 1,000 cc 1972 & up

Take a look here for more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Sportster

I'd think you could figure out exactly what model that one is by checking codes/labels on the frame and motor if they are still there.

Go big or go home!!!

https://www.zodiac.nl/en/news/sscycle/145.html

145 ci!!!

145.jpg

You will build something bad ass for sure!

Good luck.

Can't wait to see some pictures.

I do want to see about a little bit of head work...maybe a different cam. Just a little bit more ummph.

I do want to see about a little bit of head work...maybe a different cam. Just a little bit more ummph.

Send the heads to Wes at cyclerama in Florida he will fix you right up. I cant say it will be cheap but it will be right ! I know where there is a Sportster that has been sitting for years whenever I get a chance to back to Florida I might see if I can pick it up. I would like to build a 103 street tracker

Back