What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The taillight did not work out as planned. Was no way I could get it bright enough for me to consider it acceptable. It looks as if I shall stay with stock. Still, there are ways to make the stock brighter. They have some really nice LED bulbs that will fit in that offer much better light, so I shall not complain.
Dash, google "2357 bulb"
Direct replacement for 1157. Same lumens output on tailight filament, but 25% brighter on brake filament. Very little increased amperage required, but wouldn't matter anyway, since brake light use is sporadic.
Cheers!

The taillight did not work out as planned. Was no way I could get it bright enough for me to consider it acceptable. It looks as if I shall stay with stock. Still, there are ways to make the stock brighter. They have some really nice LED bulbs that will fit in that offer much better light, so I shall not complain.
Dash, google "2357 bulb"
Direct replacement for 1157. Same lumens output on tailight filament, but 25% brighter on brake filament. Very little increased amperage required, but wouldn't matter anyway, since brake light use is sporadic.
Cheers!

2357 is what I use in the front turn signals, as well as what I already run for my brake lights.

Was checking out my starter today as such drained coolant and removed the drain cock assembly - this is what was lodged in my thermostat housing. Had to be restricting flow although I've never had an overheat issue. Been there since 2002!

Dale

Attachments

• IMG_6832.jpg
    IMG_6832.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 40
Was checking out my starter today as such drained coolant and removed the drain cock assembly - this is what was lodged in my thermostat housing. Had to be restricting flow although I've never had an overheat issue. Been there since 2002!

Dale
Holy Crap Dale, What the Hell is that ????

And obviously it didn't hurt your Max too much because I remember you being right on my Tail in the twisties on the 219 on the way to Thunder. ;)

Looks like some sort of drill debris from a machining operation of some sort. Lodged in the water jacket & worked its way thru circulation to the point of restriction at the thermostat housing. It would have been useful to show something for comparison.

Attachments

• Kong.pdf
    102.8 KB · Views: 19
Holy Crap Dale, What the Hell is that ????

And obviously it didn't hurt your Max too much because I remember you being right on my Tail in the twisties on the 219 on the way to Thunder. ;)

Dennis, I've been having some hot start issues. I think my 8 yr old odyssey is going out. Charges but seems week when hot. I thought I would rule out the starter so took it apart. This piece was sitting right behind that elbowed section with the o ring at the thermostat. It was blocking approx. 50% of that passage.
I should have put a ruler in the pic. It was about 1/4" dia by 1/2" long. Obviously machining pieces not cleaned out properly.
Time for one of your UB12220 batteries you love so much!:biglaugh:

Dale

That's 6061 aluminum drill debris. Judging from the width, and colour, the drill used was cobalt, included tip angle of 83 degrees, flute rake angle of 16 degrees, and recently sharpened - poorly.
The length suggests a drill rotation speed of 750 rpm, the serrations indicate an advancement speed of 1.5 mm/sec., which you all know is too fast for hand drilling without lubricant.
I'd have to see the debris in person, in order to give a detailed analysis.
Cheers!

Mostly finished for this year, just some odds and ends to wrap up, but fully ridable now!

Attachments

• CAM00284.jpg
    CAM00284.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 26
Be sure to closely inspect the downtubes for knicks, as putting new seals onto tubes where there are breaks in the hard chrome wiped area is a waste of time and $. They will leak in short time.

Forking by Frank is one place for downtubes, but they aren't cheap. If I had an early model front end I would use this as an excuse to upgrade the triple trees, sliders, downtubes, calipers, and rotors to the 1993+ 43 mm size downtubes, instead of spending the $$ on new Frank's 40 mm 1985-'92 downtubes.

http://www.frankmain.com/

Mine is a 2005 so it has the bigger forks already
I used sealmate and it cleaned some dirt and no more leak for now but I'm still gonna change them when they come in
My forks are in good shape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back