Front tire removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErnieK2

Reaction score
Bought a beautiful fork brace, problem is I have to remove the front tire to install it. I don't have a center stand so I'm looking for suggestions on how to remove my front tire? I've tried a lift style jack but with my exhaust system I can't jack on the frame and Im not crazy about lifting on my exhaust pipes. I have engine guards installed, would they support the weight of the bike.? Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Well it's a little sketchy but I've done it before. Use ratchet straps and suspend the bike from the rafters, or a tree or whatever. Good luck. Loosening all the bolts before you lift it will be a little safer.

i have engine savers bolted to the exact location where the case guards go and have always jacked the front end by placing jackstands on the engine savers.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408439883.755358.jpg

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

The exhaust will support the weight of the bike if you want to jack up on it. You can use a rag if you're worried about scuffing it up.

Sean

Bought a beautiful fork brace, problem is I have to remove the front tire to install it. I don't have a center stand so I'm looking for suggestions on how to remove my front tire? I've tried a lift style jack but with my exhaust system I can't jack on the frame and Im not crazy about lifting on my exhaust pipes. I have engine guards installed, would they support the weight of the bike.? Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Yes, I've been using jack stands under the crash bars for years.

I use a bike lift and never had a problem.

Attachments

• Fork_Off_1_800x800.jpg
    Fork_Off_1_800x800.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 42
I use a bike lift and never had a problem.
I'm picking up a similar lift today. I was a little leery using the exhaust pipes to support the weight if the bike but I've been assured they can handle it.

I'm picking up a similar lift today. I was a little leery using the exhaust pipes to support the weight if the bike but I've been assured they can handle it.
I've had mine up on that lift quite a few times and even left it up for a few days while changing my fork seals.
It works great.

NEVER had an issue with my lift with the stock exhaust......or even a kerker 4-1.

Only issue I ever had was from melting the rubber lifting pads when I wasn't thinking and was running the bike while it was on the lift.

This is what I used to lift my bike. I have 2.

I have a lift jack for motorcycles to, but stop using it after a seal gave way and drop the bike. I'm glad I was there at the time.

It clears the exhaust to go's up about 4" leaves space under the bike.
This jack on amazon.com for 39.00 bucks .

Attachments

• P1000526.jpg
    P1000526.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 50
  • P1050639.jpg
    P1050639.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 47
  • P1010650.jpg
    P1010650.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 42
I have one just like that now and it works great. Read a bunch of reviews on them and the weak point is the bearing on the socket head end of the threaded rod....keep that well lubed up with white grease so there is no wear on that bearing cage. I lube every friction point with white grease, you'd be surprised how much easier it works.

I have 2 of them flat jacks Danny is right keep them well lubed. I have personally seen a couple of the cheap ones fail because of poor materials. My hand hurt for days from a vrod dropping down on it.

I have 2 of them flat jacks Danny is right keep them well lubed. I have personally seen a couple of the cheap ones fail because of poor materials. My hand hurt for days from a vrod dropping down on it.

Ouch! Maybe lucky to have that hand at all Kyle!

Wonder if we could modify these a bit with a better bearing design....some sort of thrust bearing.....:hmmm:

The factory ones are cheap junk!

Picked up a lift today, it's your typical 2 arm lift. If I position the rear arm under the mounting tabs for the center stand and use a 2x4 as a spacer so when you start to lift it doesn't put any weight on the rear exhaust headers.. The front would be positioned a little behind the engine drain plug, so again using. 2x4, you be lifting on the rear of the engine and not touching the front exhaust pipes. Do I have the jack in the right position to get the bike up enough to get my front tire off ? All I'm trying to get done is install this cool looking fork brace from UFO. Does the speedo cable need to be disconnected? Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

I have one just like that now and it works great. Read a bunch of reviews on them and the weak point is the bearing on the socket head end of the threaded rod....keep that well lubed up with white grease so there is no wear on that bearing cage. I lube every friction point with white grease, you'd be surprised how much easier it works.

My is steal and there wheels .... I had this now for 3 years even set out side for 6 months through winter bike up in the air covered up.

Back