Tire size and flame tread

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Max2012

Reaction score
Guys, I see I'm riding my Max, way more that my buddies are riding their other bikes.. I've gotten 2.5 riding seasons out of my tires and its about time to replace, at least the rear tire anyways. The front has about 3mm of tread depth left. The rear is about bald at the center. My friend rear tire, barely looks used, and that was installed last year.

When I picked up my 91, it had these cool looking flame tread tires on the front and rear.. Also, I really liked the way the front size tire fit. I'm now trying to find that same tire set. If it wasn't for the fact that the tires had bad dry-rot, they looked brand new.. Even the little rubber pins, were just getting worn down, in the center of both tires. So it looked like someone changed the tires, then let the bike sit for years.

The one on the Left is the original that was dry rotted, the one on Right is how its fitting right now.. I'd like to get new tire like the original ones.
When I get home, I'll get the size of the ones I have on there now.

Front tire before bike purchase and after change..jpg

So, H-rated are good to 130 mph, V-rated to 149 mph. If you don't go anywhere near those speeds, don't worry about it, if you do 130+ then you should have the V-rating. Since the VMax can do the 130 mph speed in a bit over 1/4 mile, consider your options. Tires are nothing to skimp-on. I wouldn't buy IRC, Nankang, Cheng Shin, or any of the other lower-priced tires.

the rating is at sustained speed (1 hour is the rating standard) so don't worry about exceeding the rating for short durations. I've taken a Metzler ME880 over 200mph on the dyno a number of times with no failures.

Good to know.. Thanks.. I've only pushed it to 145 in NJ but that was only for about 30 seconds or so.. I still have to get the current tire size.. It was pouring over here today.

So my current tire sizes are:
Front: Dunlop 110/90/18 MC
Rear: Dunlop 150/90/15 MC

I would like a little larger in the front, and I'm hearing that Shinko Tourmaster is a good choice.

I'm thinking:
Front 130/90-18
Rear 170/80-15

I'm wondering is there a big difference in the Tourmaster series, like 230 vs 712 vs the SR734R

So my current tire sizes are:
Front: Dunlop 110/90/18 MC
Rear: Dunlop 150/90/15 MC

I would like a little larger in the front, and I'm hearing that Shinko Tourmaster is a good choice.

I'm thinking:
Front 130/90-18
Rear 170/80-15

I'm wondering is there a big difference in the Tourmaster series, like 230 vs 712 vs the SR734R

It''s not advisable to install a tire wider than a 110/90 on a stock front wheel. A 120 or 130 will spoon on and inflate, but it won't fit right, especially the 130. It's been done, for sure. The last riding Bud of mine took the 120 off after going for a ride. Safe? I wouldn't want to find out. 170/80 in back, no problem.

Latest posts

Back