Water/coolant leaking from this weep hole?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spottedsquirl

Reaction score
'85 Vmax. Why is there water/coolant coming from this hole between the top and middle rib on the cylinder head? I've been flushing the old coolant out with a flush and now just staight distilled water. Second galon flushed through when I saw it bubbling out after a 10 minute idle warm up. Engine was cooled over night before draining and adding fresh each time. I fear the worst as I have been fighting a coolant leak domino affect. Started with a cracked tube from thermostat to water pump. Then discovered a busted breather manifold case. Then water pump weep hole. Now this weep hole... not to mention all the other issues I'm dealing with on it. Will never understand why such a relic be so neglected.
050933c8a79234668eb4d083bd1a5617.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I believe that hole is the drain for the spark plug hole, and has absolutely nothing to do with coolant. Try blasting some compressed air thru it and do it with the spark plug boot off. You should get a big rush of air from the plug hole on-top of the cyl head. if there's any debris in it, that would impede the drainage of it. That's all it is, a drainage hole.

Water pump weep hole means what it does on any water-cooled engine, failing shaft seals in-need of replacement.

Your plastic parts are tired and brittle after a 32-year life cycle, I imagine they are probably original to the bike. These are things to be replaced to have security of mind that they will function correctly probably for as-long as you own it, once-replaced.

Neglected relic? The owner probably had neither the $ or the knowledge to fix it. You are the new custodian. That's your job, now, to repair the deficiencies, and to return it to service and reliability. You shouldn't expect that you're going to make money on this unless you bought it for a few hundred dollars, unlikely for a running bike, especially a first-year.

Water pump:

Oil Seal
93101-10090-00
$3.78

Seal, Mechanical
11H-12438-10-00
$29.21

O-Ring
93211-16591-00
$5.93

Gasket, Water Pump
3JP-12449-02-00
$8.16

O-Ring
93210-27778-00
$2.16

O-Ring

93210-43713-00

$3.00

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50042682f8700209bc788600/water-pump

Boats.net may be a bit cheaper.

I keep one of these on-hand, for security, like Linus's blanket, from Peanuts (attachment)

Attachments

• 20171014_201622.jpg
    20171014_201622.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it wasn't anything bad since I couldn't find it in the service manual. As of right now I'm just trying to get it to the point I can ride it safely and securely then, slowly restore it as time goes on. She does show her age and act it lol

Will never understand why such a relic be so neglected

As mentioned it's simply a water drain for any water that may get into the spark plug cavity.

Did some more research and investigating. I hope it's not the water jacket leaking behind the plug. I'm gonna look into it more this weekend.

More likely the coolant hose than the water jacket plug.

Yeah I've had this going on for over a year as well. Additionally, one cylinder (I think it's this one) fires a lot harder than the other three. The force of the exhaust of one cylinder is twice the force of the other three pulses. So I should be looking at the water jacket?

Latest posts

Back