Re-using the multi layer metal head gaskets?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rzubonja

Reaction score
I know...I know..buy new ones...they are cheap and you don't take any risk's...

But googling this topic returns a lot of people that are actually reusing them without any problems on cars.

They just use some copper spray on both sides of the gasket!?

Of course that both of the engine/head surfaces needs to be cleaned and prepared...but if the old gaskets are not damaged, why not re-use them?

Any thoughts here?

There are people that have reused them with no problems as you mentioned but I don't usually ever bother. On cars the cost is a lot higher for them and they are usually doing it on race engines that are only going to run for a season or two at the dragstrip then get removed again.

I think they have 'crush' to them to seal, I dunno if spray copper is going to give you the seal you need. Given the work to replace one or two if they go bad, heads-off, new gaskets seems like the best policy to me.

Yes, I'm in Croatia

It's like 3x USA...3x more expensive and 3x times waiting time

A good recent example were the valve cover gaskets for a friend of mine...the two of them costs 100$ ....waiting time was 3 weeks.

It depends on the gasket and the access.

On a 60's Muscle Car where you could have the head off in half an hour, we reused the steel shim head gaskets (using Aluminum paint).

On something with composition head gaskets that is also a considerable ordeal to change them, I would not reuse them.

My Cometic Gaskets rep confirmed with me years ago that they could be reused with some metallic paint as has been mentioned. But, with the prices not being too bad for these I would still not suggest it.

Yes, I'm in Croatia

It's like 3x USA...3x more expensive and 3x times waiting time

A good recent example were the valve cover gaskets for a friend of mine...the two of them costs 100$ ....waiting time was 3 weeks.

Wouldn't it be easier to buy genuine parts from within the EU?

Latest posts

Back