SOS starting engine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have that same issue. It could be things loosening up, or it could be a broken sprag. There is a thread that gives details on fixing this issue. Give me a bit, and I will find it again.

You probably have the back 2 coil connectors crossed. Reverse the connectors and try to start..........

thanks for all the replies, as if i didn't have already enough problems to solve from 3 months of owning the bike, a brake fluid leak when i pull the clutch at the entrance of the engine that going to cost me 350 euros to solve, 3 cylinders working at neutral stance another 350euros for it and now this, i don t have all the tools for this, lack of experience and time as space (no garage) this bike is ruing my bank account...
Now to get a transport to the shop will be 60 euros, can you guys tell me what’s the average time for this operation, if parts needed, and are they usually expansive?

Pretty sure it is, but it seems he does not want to try the simple things, like swap the coil connections. If all he did was change the battery now he has this popping and kicking back, he probably has the back 2 coils crossed..I know because it happened to me.

I had this problem before, which made me think it was the battery, because i don t know how old was it and it left me down once before. so that is why i change the battery, but i m sure i didn t change any wire, was exactly as it was before. and the last time i drove it was 2 - 3 weeks ago and i ve been trying for 2 weeks to start the engine.

Make sure the Stator pickup connection near the battery did not come loose.. If it did, the CDI box would not know when to fire the coils. The wires leading to the connector is Black and Orange or Black and Red. The 2 pole plastic connection is sitting next to the battery, under the seat. hope this helps.

Note: You can also see if your getting a spark by pulling out one of the spark plugs, connect the coil wire to it, and ground it to the engine body, then crank the engine.. You should see a spark across the gap.

ok, i will try that tomorrow since now here is late night. there is one thing that i didn't mention, i dint know if this has interference with the happening.

On the last two times i did a cold start on neutral then after half minute when i pull the clutch and hit first gear the bike moved forward and engine went off then the reaction was to press start again engine restarted with a slight moving forward (i m not sure if this is normal to happen).

Had the 3 last weeks every day rain, today first day of sun and this bad luck.

i ve see those connectors close by, i will really check those connections.

But anyway, if it s the starter clutch, what could be the average time to fix it?

ok, i will try that tomorrow since now here is late night. there is one thing that i didn't mention, i dint know if this has interference with the happening.

On the last two times i did a cold start on neutral then after half minute when i pull the clutch and hit first gear the bike moved forward and engine went off then the reaction was to press start again engine restarted with a slight moving forward (i m not sure if this is normal to happen).

Had the 3 last weeks every day rain, today first day of sun and this bad luck.

i ve see those connectors close by, i will really check those connections.

But anyway, if it s the starter clutch, what could be the average time to fix it?

Can't help you with the starter clutch but think what you're describing here is normal....these are 'wet clutch's,' the oil gets heavier after sitting and the clutch plates tend to stick together. Try letting the motor warm up more before shifting into 1st.

+1 on what Dannymax said, but if you have the kick stand down it will kill the engine also......it's a safety feature so that you don't ride off with the kick stand down.

Sounded as if the motor was turning over fine to me......leading me to think an electrical problem. If all the connectors are reattached properly, then I'd be leaning towards a failing CDI box and all that BS that goes with it.

Can you crank it and check for a good, crisp hot spark?

+1 on what Dannymax said, but if you have the kick stand down it will kill the engine also......it's a safety feature so that you don't ride off with the kick stand down.

That I would notice because it happens to everyone sometimes, but there is no kick forward when it s that case. I have to check the spark on all the 4 spark plugs right?

Start with the basics, pull the plugs and make sure they are clean, check for good hot/blue spark at all 4 cyls...........................Tom.

Hello, thanks all who tried to help me, so today i was able to know the status and just want to leave an update on this and oppinion.
After all electric part checked and good, motorcycle had to go the shop.

Aparently the three bolts of the starter clutch were loose and created some damage on the starter clutch, they say the fly wheel is good but the other part with the teeths arround have also to be replaced because the round part that sticks out got a bit shrinked.

Now the cost of the fixing of the whole thing with oil change and filter is going for 1000 euros (motorcycle is going to be stuck in there for a while...).

But there is another possibility which is putting all back like it is now and there is a 50/50 chance that it will work. By the look of the starter clutch damage do you think i could run that risk?

Attachments

• 20140910_165132.jpg
    20140910_165132.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20140910_165134.jpg
    20140910_165134.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20140910_165139.jpg
    20140910_165139.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 35
Most members just retighten the bolts and peen the part of the bolt that sticks out on the other side. It should work fine. If it were mine that's what I would tell them to do. We hardly ever replace the whole assy. Make sure the brass cage that holds the rollers and springs in place does noes not have a crack in it.

Most members just retighten the bolts and peen the part of the bolt that sticks out on the other side. It should work fine. If it were mine that's what I would tell them to do. We hardly ever replace the whole assy. Make sure the brass cage that holds the rollers and springs in place does noes not have a crack in it.

I'd replace the bolts while i was in there but otherwise yea.

Back