need some help with a strange issue - surging - dies when shifted when cold.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
l recall that Barnett clutches were notorious for allowing the friction disc/steelies to stick-together when left to sit overnight, or longer. First time into-gear the next morning, the bike would lurch and die, and you had better be ready to cover the brake if it decided to stay running!

This appears to be more of a non-start issue than one of sticky clutch plates. I think what some of the guys are saying, is that the micro switch on the clutch may be killing the circuit. It can stick like the side stand switch, and render the bike dead. 'Fanning' the clutch lever may temporarily free the micro switch and allow the bike to run. Bypassing both sidestand and clutch switches removes them from the equation, though you lose the safety they provide when working properly.

All I can say is ding dang!:ummm:

I think I finally have it.
I came home and started it, dropped into first...dead. this is good, something repeatable.
Installed the clutch and front brake switches (they just came in) , same thing first gear...dead.

Took another look at the side stand plug, it looked loose. It was clipped but loose. Plugged it in...problem fixed! Pulled it to the end of the clip, the problem returns. Long story short, did some cleanup of the plug tightened the spade connectors, added more dio grease and tried it again, and everything works. :bang head: I hope this is the end of the issue. I guess I'll see in the morning.

Thanks again for all the help.

D

This episode reads like an old comic strip, "Little Nemo Adventures in Slumberland." The little kid would fall asleep w/his favorite stuffed toy, and take-off on incredible, fantastic journeys. They would end when he awoke, w/his plush toy by his side.

May your dreams of great rides be realized now.

images
images
images
images

I know, I'm starting to feel like I've been dreaming about riding the vmax and never actually ridden it! Hopefully today is the day.

Back