Knocking/Tapping on cylinder 4, cold start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onspeed

Reaction score
98 Vmax, 18,000 miles, getting a tapping/knocking like noise on cold starts that goes away once warm. Increases with RPM. Almost sounds like the noise a sticky hydraulic lifter makes in a pushrod motor. Possible I need valve adjustment? As far as I know, it's never been done on this bike.

If i remember correctly the valves dont have to be adjusted until around 26000 miles.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

98 Vmax, 18,000 miles, getting a tapping/knocking like noise on cold starts that goes away once warm. Increases with RPM. Almost sounds like the noise a sticky hydraulic lifter makes in a pushrod motor. Possible I need valve adjustment? As far as I know, it's never been done on this bike.

Does it go away if you pull in the clutch?

Does it go away if you pull in the clutch?

Nope, no effect from the clutch. Listening to it again, it might be coming from the crankcase and not the cylinder. I would think possibly a spun bearing, but since it seems to go away (or more like get quieter) when the engine warms up I'm not sure...

Sounds more like a wrist pin noise. They can be very difficult to track down since the sound travels all over the crankcase. The rear for sure can be fixed in the case but it's work for sure.

If noise goes away when the clutch is pulled in then it's likely the bearing in the basket. BUT, these are noisy in that department too so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Sean

Latest posts

Back