What kind of paint to use?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atropine

Reaction score
Hi All-
I want to paint my 98 a matte or flat black. I also want to paint some of the brushed aluminum parts like the triple clamps, sissy bar, speedo can, etc. I plan on owning this bike forever so I'd like the paint to last. I have a decent HVLP gun and air compressor with a good clean garage that I can mask off and do the job well I think. But what type of paint to use? Obviously prep work is the key-- tons of sanding and cleaning. I'd also like to "smoke" the scoops and side covers. The plastic is in good shape, but will need a good solid sanding. The right scoop has the clearcoat chipped off from where the PO allowed a keychain to flop around on the scoop. I'd also like the chrome exhaust to be flat black, but I'm afraid I better take that to a powder coater if I want it to last. For the paint, do I just go to any auto paint supply warehouse and just tell them what I'm looking for?

You may want to take a look at Eastwood's web site.

http://www.eastwood.com/?SRCCODE=MN...tm_term={keyword}&utm_campaign=Brand-Eastwood

They are a good company to work with if you are a DIY'er. I've never been disappointed with any of their products.

I would definitely consider powder coating for any metal part. I've used a color/coating called "Black Magic" on a bunch of parts....it's a matte black that is very nice. Not all coatings are created equal..... if you just ask for low gloss or matte you may be disapointed......I was first time around.

Here is a photo of an engine cover done in Black Magic.

DSCN4314.jpg

I'm a big proponent of powder coating but even that isn't "Forever". It is a good start though if you can live with a somewhat limited color palette. You can get flat, satin or gloss finishes though for the same price.

I sprayed my pipes with Rustolum flat black. No prep,not even a wipe, just to see how it'd hold up. It is still on after one season. I think I'm going to bead blast the pipes and paint them right. Eastwood high temp satin looks nicer, for me. Mufflers polished, end caps Matt black powder coat. There is a high temp. PC available, but I haven't herd a report about it yet.
I had my pipes ceramic coated when they were new and am disappointed with how they held up.
Steve-o

I sprayed my pipes with Rustolum flat black. No prep,not even a wipe, just to see how it'd hold up. It is still on after one season. I think I'm going to bead blast the pipes and paint them right. Eastwood high temp satin looks nicer, for me. Mufflers polished, end caps Matt black powder coat. There is a high temp. PC available, but I haven't herd a report about it yet.
I had my pipes ceramic coated when they were new and am disappointed with how they held up.
Steve-o

I've had a similar experience with VHT header paint but I did scuff my Kerker a little but not much prep work at all and that was over 3 years ago and it still looks great. Some things look good powder coated and others not so much, I like paint because I can do it myself and its cheaper.

sent from my HTC Rezound using tapatalk

Powder coating has come a long way, it's available in lot's of colors and finishes. Still, I wouldn't use it on everything.

These are photos from a local guy I use.......I was impressed with the BMW and Moto Guzzi covers that he did. The finish is even and smooth, as nice as paint. I had a handlebar done previously at a big shop that does a lot of industrial work and I hated the way it looked. It was semi gloss black and the finish was not smooth at all, it had a very mottled appearance.

BMWCovers.jpg
MotoGuzziParts.jpg

Thx guys. Those powdercoated parts look fantastic. I love the look of that Black Magic- that is exactly what I am looking for. Now I just have to figure out what type of paint to do the fenders/faux tank cover in. I'll take some time looking through Eastwood's website.

I'm a firm believer in plasti dip, it's tough and inexpensive, and if you decide you want something else you can peel it off, or spray another coat of a different color right over it. The dip on my bike is still in great shape after last season and being winterized, and my best friend has had it stand up to being slapped with shredded tires on his drift car at the track several times.

Powder coating has come a long way, it's available in lot's of colors and finishes. Still, I wouldn't use it on everything.

These are photos from a local guy I use.......I was impressed with the BMW and Moto Guzzi covers that he did. The finish is even and smooth, as nice as paint. I had a handlebar done previously at a big shop that does a lot of industrial work and I hated the way it looked. It was semi gloss black and the finish was not smooth at all, it had a very mottled appearance.

View attachment 40386
View attachment 40387
+1, I had a industrial shop do some p/c for me and it either had some silver overspray from another job or his p/c was the wrong mix (wanted gloss black) so it matters who is doing it for sure. The work Sean has done is excellent, and the pictures Patmax has posted look excellent as well, so I can recommend either of them.

Latest posts

Back