1800 goldwing swingarm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antwerks

Reaction score
here is one for ya'll, i want to install a 2008 or 9 single sided honda goldwing swing arm on my 1997 max any suggestions?

Pics, details, dimensions? :ummm:

I was considering instaling BMW K1200S swingarm and wheel but one problem is the final gear ratio. You should check that.

Or maybe you want to combine v-max pumpkin and goldwing swingarm?

Ok, i've checked that for ya and goldwing final drive ratio is 2.75 so it will work with little overdrive.

But from what i've found Goldwing have shaft on the right so it wont work unless, you have very good machining skills and you
will fabricate something.

There only couple bike with shaft from the left. Most BMW's are rightsided but 2007 K1200S is leftsided shaft.

I've seen it done. I don't know if the hypoid gear on that arm was left untouched or if the Goldwing ring and pinion can permanently go in reverse at 100+ mph

I wonder what the jackshaft reaction is on the reversed hypoid and how long it would last running backwards like that. I like his footpeg approach. Gives me a good idea for the chaindrive swap.
vmaxgoldwingswingarm.jpg

Theres no difrence with jackshaft rotation.

Problems may start when you get used setup and start to rotate it oposite.
Gears get used to specific rotation and its not a good idea to change that direction with gear with about 10k miles on it.
Surely it will affect on durability.

But i like this design look. Its badass!

Definitly i will try this way someday but with stock pumpkin. Goldwing swingarm runs 40$ on ebay so
no loos to try :)

Those are Otec rearsets, the best quality on the market but expensive like hell.
You may try Ozzo rearsets, they're cheaper and very good quality too.
You may order them via technobikeshop.

I wonder what the jackshaft reaction is on the reversed hypoid and how long it would last running backwards like that. I like his footpeg approach. Gives me a good idea for the chaindrive swap.
vmaxgoldwingswingarm.jpg

That is one sick looking bike.... wow

sweet the honda swingarm flipped and stock pumpkin.... that's the ticket, plus you can run up to a 220 rear tire

Hello, brandnew here and busy with building a gl1800 swingarm into a Vmax but facing some problems. Already machined the width of the swingarm so it fits between the Vmaxframe and put the right bearings in the swing. I will give a brief enumaration of the problems I´m facing:
Read the problem about rotation, mounted on a goldwing the driveshaft is turning CCW, so when turned upsidedown it will turn CW and thats the direction the Vmax engine is turning so in my opinion no problem.
When mounted upsd in the Vmax frame the joint from the Vmax engine hits the swingarm, so I have to machine out the opening of the arm or move the arm more to the right side of the Vmax and machine more room for the right bearing.
Then my biggest problem is how make a construction for the suspension without machining the fueltank. I want to hold on to mono suspension.
At last the driveshaft, I want to weld the vmax connecting(engineside) to the driveshaft of the gl1800, but then there are 2 joints, do i have to use a bearing to support the driveshaft?

GLVmax_2+%25282%2529.jpg

GLVmax_1.JPG

But your final drive breather is at the bottom now, will that be a problem?
I suppose it would be easy enough to relocate it

That is the least I'm worried about. I think that the drawplug would be the new breather and closing the breather with a screw.
But thanks for your comment

Very nice innovation!

I like it!!

Rear shock, what are you going to use for that? And considering you are replacing two shocks with one shock, you might lose some weight there, but out of curiosity how much does that swing arm assembly weight compared to the stock Vmax unit?

Vent tube, no biggie there, I would do like you said and either tap and plug it, or machine it off and weld it and smooth it out. Make it disappear. If you are already at this much trouble , that is nothing extra to really do.

Brakes are surely an upgrade as well. What about tire size, and length of travel with the shock, and over all length? How much longer is this swing arm than the stock Vmax swing arm?

I ve got lots of questions, but I ll let you answer these first :)

Todd

Very nice innovation!

I like it!!

Rear shock, what are you going to use for that? And considering you are replacing two shocks with one shock, you might lose some weight there, but out of curiosity how much does that swing arm assembly weight compared to the stock Vmax unit?
Want to use the stock triangle and then the shock in the hole downwards, welding support on lower frametube. Don't talk about weight because this construction is much heavier.(for that reason, I told my lady, that 1300cc is neccessary)

Vent tube, no biggie there, I would do like you said and either tap and plug it, or machine it off and weld it and smooth it out. Make it disappear. If you are already at this much trouble , that is nothing extra to really do.
Worry about that on the end.

Brakes are surely an upgrade as well. What about tire size, and length of travel with the shock, and over all length? How much longer is this swing arm than the stock Vmax swing arm?
See attached picture, hope to run a lightmetal car wheel with 200 tyre, maybe more.

I ve got lots of questions, but I ll let you answer these first :)

Todd

Keep u informed

Attachments

• smallrearcomplete.JPG
    smallrearcomplete.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 44
Can you not run a shaft (single)from the rear drive direct to the front or does the angle of the swingarm screw that up?
Strongly suggest you don't weld a stock front Vmax shaft to anything.
Believe me I deal with this stuff every day and the amount of failures that happen
are more often than not.

Hi Berrymax

Now thats something to think about. I've been tweaking with something like that for a long time already. The GL1800 has a convergence on the splined sleeve of about 3,21º so you need to work it out. As it seems you are going for a narrow tire so you may be able to achieve it with little mods. The vmax narrow end drive shaft tip (male) is the same as the rear end of the GL1800 drive shaft (female) so you can cut the rear end of GL1800 drive shaft and weld it to the rear end of the vmax one like the pic below. If you are going to go for a double Ujoint system there is a problem that is the 3 degrees convergence on the final drive sleeve. On a double Ujoint setup the input and output axles have to be parallel or on a W arrangement so will have to correct the angle prior the "bearinged" Ujoint. Send me an email to wildweasel_pt @ hotmail. com and we can talk further. I have some other things to tell you.

PS - The VFR1200 is also a possible start point with a good looking SSSA.

Attachments

• Apresentação1.jpg
    Apresentação1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 3,21º de convergência.jpg
    3,21º de convergência.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2638_zps05971c04.jpg
    IMG_2638_zps05971c04.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 52

Latest posts

Back