1st clutch change

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is me also. I thought I was going to do the DD clutch mod. Once I pulled my side cover to my surprise was the purple Barnett clutch and plates. My inside plate is or was still the smaller half friction plate. Not sure to replace it or put in full plate. Which is better, it didn't have that much left on it either. Also wondering how much to torque the spring bolts down to and if I should still use the thread-lock. OH does anyone want to buy a new spring for the DD kit? I paid 75 last week. Willing to trade for new bolts, pins, caps, and gear for starter clutch.... Too bad I don't have the clear cover for my clutch already....About to head back out to shed and look. Busy trying to do things for my wife as a mother day present... Looking for a little advice....Pm me if you have advice for me...

Id use a full size plate.

I tighten the bolts 7-8 nm on the clutch spring bolts. I don't use locktite. Never had an issue with them coming loose on any bike.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

I have a Barnett 6 spring conversion and I installed a full friction in place of the 1/2 friction plate (and it's associated parts).
As for the bolts, tighten them until the washer is flush with the plate so the springs don't hang up.
I didn't use lock-tite on them either.

Last edited:
Should I put that wire/ back and does this require an additional friction or metal plate. I had ordered the OEM spring for doing the DD, gonna send it back to Sean. Me ordering it was my fault for not knowing what was hidden behind my cover. I just want to get bike back up for riding.. Next week I am dipping into the starter clutch as for it has been acting up this year.

Sounds good. I wonder if '88' will take a partial trade on a Dyna3000.

Found what I had been doing wrong. When I went to in stall Barnett cover it didn't line up correctly. Therefore it wasn't sliding down all the way to meet the plates. I ended up thinking about it last night, double checked it this morning. Guess I will wait until I get with Sean for a Clear Cover( also misplaced my perma-gasket) . Maybe see if he has any used ones, as for the rest of engine paint doesn't look great either.... Guess I need to get with Yamaha and cancel the half plate tomorrow and order new bolts, pins and caps for starter clutch.

Latest posts

Back