Entering Drag Race - Hungary

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are more details...

The following video shows me in my first qualification. I totally missed second gear. It happens, I guess. But during practice would be much better than during my Q1. :confused2:

Qualification 1

"The Champion" :rofl_200:

Trophy_zpsz0h1y30x.jpg

DSC_0126_zpsxiizuoor.jpg

I strapped the forks down with some simple straps. Cheap and effective.

VMax_strapped_zpscqogrmap.jpg

Congrats on the win- Why would you not run in one of the lanes 2 hot spots instead of off to the side. You would stick better and can launch a liitle harder, also a small dry hop after the burnout will clear any water that may have stayed in the tread when using street tires.

Why would you not run in one of the lanes 2 hot spots instead of off to the side.

I'm a novice. I only chose the launch area because that's where everyone else was launching. I'll try it next time.

I think I launched well during these runs. Last time, there were 3 times I know the rear tire spun. This time, I don't remember any.

I look for the area that the drag slick or soft tire bikes have been running in. The street tires leave little balls of rubber and is defined by the term "on the marbles" which is not good.

Sean

i'll walk in each lane and the one that tries to pull my boot off the most is the one i'll take.
DO YOU KNOW HOW HOW TO DEEP STAGE? sorry for the caps

I also noticed that in this video the r6 was 3 bikelenghths ahead of you doing his burn out. I personally never do burnouts in water and NEVER get water on my front tire.
A vmax has enough power to just do a dryhop and not waste a street tire.
Just make sure you can feel a good launch with the right air pressure for you (it varies for each rider considering rider weight).
Not embarrasing to get beat by a quicker bike ever - i'll bet you learned something from that race and that is what my point is.
There is a learning lesson in every race you race.

DO YOU KNOW HOW HOW TO DEEP STAGE? sorry for the caps

No, I don't.

I was hesitant to post this video, but I will. It shows my cool burnout before my final run. But I forgot to shift back to first so launched in second gear. I had a big audience, so this was very embarrassing. Hey, we make mistakes but hopefully learn from them. You'll notice in the video below that just after the launch, I sat up, knowing something was wrong.

FINAL RUN VIDEO

Here's a photo taken at the track. I got tough looks and sound... but that's about all. :confused2:

Final_zpsbrxyrzxs.jpg

There are 2 staging lights on the christmas tree-top one is pre stage and bottom one and top one at the same time lit is staged. If you roll up a little more the pre stage light will go out and you are now deep staged. I always tell the starter that the "d" i have on my windscreen in white shoe polish means i am staging deep. On a 3 tenths pro tree that you are running on you leave as soon as you see the three yellows light up being deep staged and it will help your reaction time greatly. Hope it helps ya-also i notced in the video that your hein gerickes were off the forks!!

No, I don't.

I was hesitant to post this video, but I will. It shows my cool burnout before my final run. But I forgot to shift back to first so launched in second gear. I had a big audience, so this was very embarrassing. Hey, we make mistakes but hopefully learn from them. You'll notice in the video below that just after the launch, I sat up, knowing something was wrong.

FINAL RUN VIDEO

Here's a photo taken at the track. I got tough looks and sound... but that's about all. :confused2:

Final_zpsbrxyrzxs.jpg
If you do a practice launch after your burnout you will not only get any extra water off the back tire but you will also know that you are in the right gear.:bang head:

You'll also burn off the stickiest layer of rubber. I don't ever do a practice launch after my burnout. I don't burout IN the water. In fact I don't drive THROUGH the water either. Around the water, back up into the front 1 maybe, pull forward to the very front edge or even just past the water and then do a good burnout until even thick consistent tire smoke is visible (either by looking around or with a spotter).

Sean

...also i notced in the video that your hein gerickes were off the forks!!

Thanks for the info on the "deep stage." It must be tricky to know the point not to red-light.

Yeah, I removed the straps knowing there would be photos and video... I was right. Thought it would look tacky. Plus my time didn't count since I had no competitors.

Thanks for the info on the "deep stage." It must be tricky to know the point not to red-light.

Yeah, I removed the straps knowing there would be photos and video... I was right. Thought it would look tacky. Plus my time didn't count since I had no competitors.

You usually have about 6 to 7 inches of "rollout" once you hit the deepstage light.
I measure ALL the rollout in each lane too. Every track and every lane has a different amount .

I don't deep stage though it can improve times just a hair since you are reducing the length of the track by a little bit lol

Sean

Another event is scheduled for August 14-16. I'm planning to attend... maybe with my son. They have a 50cc junior class I'm thinking about entering him in.

If the weather looks bad, I'm not going. I absolutely hate riding in the rain. Especially when the track is over 4 hours away.

Maybe I can launch in FIRST gear this time. :biglaugh: That's why I go - to have fun and learn from my mistakes.

I got a trailer reserved. So it will be a little more convenient.

Question for the serious drag racers out there...
What is optimum rear tire pressure? I lowered mine the last time I raced, but unsure what it was. I ran a respectable 11.69. It will be HOT (in the mid 90's). I know that's a factor also.

Went and had a BLAST with my son on Friday and Saturday.

He entered the Junior 50cc class, and I was again in the "Old Top" category. My son did very well. He qualified #5 out of 15 in his class. I qualified #2 out of 4 in my class. It was UNBELIEVABLY hot there, with little shade (98 deg. F). And you can imagine how hot is was bundled up in all the riding gear. At one point on Saturday, I could not even do a burnout. The track was so hot, my tire just stuck. But that's good for a launch. We left Saturday evening before the big race on Sunday. We had fun and qualified. We both learned some things from the experience - that was the goal. I could have returned home with another trophy, but it was just too hot, and I had church commitments on Sunday.

See video link at the bottom.

FATHER AND SON RACE VIDEO

Last edited:
Nice, I'm glad you and your son had a good time.
Great Video too !!!!!!!! :D

Back