Vboost or no Vboost

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those were quotes from your previous posts.
Damn, i didn't even know until now that i was a poet too!!:worthy:

Last edited:
Ok I didn't know you were picking pieces here and there from the posts.

I guess I should have been more clear when I said that. I was referring to the video, not having ridden it as shown in the video.

How many vmax's have you owned and for how many years?

Just curious, I ve had a couple and it's always great to hear other people's documented experiences.

Don't forget if you are changing the filter also the 2 tabs on the cover go at the top.

Yes, and stupid me now has a bike sitting with no oil in it because I forgot the you don't get an O-ring with the filter like you do with most all car filters. Unfortunately, the old one is a bit damaged so not willing to risk draining again if it leaks. Hopefully the local dealer will have one in stock today so that I can finish the job.

Matt

This is where a problem arises-If you unplug the servo as customs does on his video
you cannot be sure where the venturi stops. It could and probably will not be open all the way. With the carbs off i did this and then reach down and opened it up directly across the port- that showed me that it did not open to it's fullest.You are assuming it is unless you have the carbs off and then it could still be off a bit.
If you are going to run it full open all the time the ultimate would be to take the venturi's out all together as they are causing some restriction to the port. Of course modifications would have to be done for that. I did mine with a 1988 model manifold because it was 1 mm larger than the '85. I do not have to worry about where the venturi stopped when unplugged and i have absolutely no restriction.
Anyone that says it does not help or provides a quicker ET at the track is doing something wrong.
Why do you think a tunnel ram with dual quads was invented?
Fact is factories are limited-that's where modification and creativity come in.

I've checked mine in the past and the butterflies definitely do not open all of the way during the cycle with the key, at least on my bike.

Ok I didn't know you were picking pieces here and there from the posts.

I guess I should have been more clear when I said that. I was referring to the video, not having ridden it as shown in the video.

How many vmax's have you owned and for how many years?

Just curious, I ve had a couple and it's always great to hear other people's documented experiences.
Look at my gallery.
This is what i have now- I was racing when i was 16- turned pro at 23 and have not stopped.

Hear or see?
#12 in points that year was Alan Bradshaw- he ran nhra top fuel for BME- bill miller engineering just a few years ago.
Lester McGaha is driving the altered pictured in the next post and his son Chris is running nhra pro stock now.
Penwell consisted on average 250+ racers at every meet.
Lubbock was over 300 racers per meet.

I was #4 at penwell and #2 at lubbock in my 1st year turning pro.SANY3917.jpg

SANY3916.jpg

SANY3915.jpg

SANY3914.jpg

I like having the V-Boost open all the time. Sounds good in the low revs cruising around town. I'm not trying to scrounge up every last drop of HP in it, though. I'm far from being a good drag racer, but I make T&T night occasionally just for testing out some Ignitech Maps. I have found that with the butterflies open, it messes with the vacuum advance because the manifold pressure becomes greater with smaller throttle openings compared to when the butterflies are closed. I'm not sure if this has the same effect on the stock MAP sensor or not. I can say that it stands to reason that with the Vboost open at low RPM, the velocity of air flowing through each carb would be diminished. Thus reducing atomization and the venturi effect. I imagine that the carbs could be tuned to compensate, but who really cares? The difference is negligible at best for MOST of us. I do know that the bike is more fun to ride with the Vboost on all the time. Wheelies are much easier and a lot more fun! I'm not saying either way is better, it just depends on what you are looking to get out of the bike.

I ll try and scan some time slips in if I get some time. Thank you for posting the dyno charts, I know a few others here have dyno'ed and share the same experience.

Redne, Vmax Mike said the same thing about wheelies with vboost open.

This is correct. Having the Vboost open early will make it feel faster at partial throttle. At WOT the stock setting has a substantial advantage over opening at 3000. I have ran my bike on the dyno many times with many different jetting configurations and the stock setting always has a significant advantage from 4000-6000 RPM. Dynos may not be perfect but comparing on the same dyno on the same day will give you an accurate comparison. I have attached a dyno sheet with stock vboost compared to opening at 3000 and there is a big difference. Although it may feel faster opening at low RPMs the facts are that it is not. We could speculate forever but there are facts to support the stock Vboost setting.

I'll say it again, numbers do/can lie. A dyno does NOT tell you or anyone else how fast something is, that is a fact. Some of us have simply said that our individual bikes run better with the v-boost at other than stock settings. Most of us, including myself have been riding long enough to know if our bikes are a bit quicker or slower. It's not all just about 1/4 mile times either. it's about passing someone starting at 60 or 70 mph. Or maybe having a bit of a play with another bike and having the boost already fully open when I downshift a nail it instead of waiting for it to start to open at 6000. Not many people have the exact same set up, ie; rear tire size, jets, exhaust, tuning etc... so therefore not all bikes will act the same with the boost the same. Yamaha probably tried to pick the best "all around" setting for a stock bike, but who here has a stock bike??? Maybe your dyno numbers are due to the way your bike is tuned which i'll bet is different than my bike. There are quite a few companies making a fair bit of money off of products made to alter the boost settings. Are you saying that they are all thieves and anyone who buys these are suckers? You are saying that anyone that says there bike is more responsive, or quicker or faster, is wrong because your Dyno numbers, for your bike, somehow magically have something to do with there bike and how it is set up and how it runs. It's funny/strange that most of you that like stock settings insist on making sure that we are wrong, usually due to a piece of paper, and those of us that like our different settings, have no interest in telling you that your bike is slower with your settings.

Matt

Matt,
No argument dyno's can lie, time slips yeah I guess you can fudge those too. BUT.... seat of the pants can lie just as well. I have no problem with your opinion. Your entitled to it, as am I and everyone else here. Just wanted to clarify that with you so you don't have any misconceptions of my opinion.

Matt,
No argument dyno's can lie, time slips yeah I guess you can fudge those too. BUT.... seat of the pants can lie just as well. I have no problem with your opinion. Your entitled to it, as am I and everyone else here. Just wanted to clarify that with you so you don't have any misconceptions of my opinion.

All is well on the western front. All of my post, I think you will find, are only my opinion and first hand thoughts or experience. I have many times said things like, I don't agree, wouldn't it, or, it might be or don't you think etc... I don't really get mad at anyone, hell, I don't actually know any of you well enough to let that happen. And i'll be the first to admit that I like a good banter, debate or even the occasional argument. Anyway, thanks for that, and i'll stick to my opinion even if it's wrong.

p.s. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Matt

I'll say it again, numbers do/can lie. A dyno does NOT tell you or anyone else how fast something is, that is a fact. Some of us have simply said that our individual bikes run better with the v-boost at other than stock settings. Most of us, including myself have been riding long enough to know if our bikes are a bit quicker or slower. It's not all just about 1/4 mile times either. it's about passing someone starting at 60 or 70 mph. Or maybe having a bit of a play with another bike and having the boost already fully open when I downshift a nail it instead of waiting for it to start to open at 6000. Not many people have the exact same set up, ie; rear tire size, jets, exhaust, tuning etc... so therefore not all bikes will act the same with the boost the same. Yamaha probably tried to pick the best "all around" setting for a stock bike, but who here has a stock bike??? Maybe your dyno numbers are due to the way your bike is tuned which i'll bet is different than my bike. There are quite a few companies making a fair bit of money off of products made to alter the boost settings. Are you saying that they are all thieves and anyone who buys these are suckers? You are saying that anyone that says there bike is more responsive, or quicker or faster, is wrong because your Dyno numbers, for your bike, somehow magically have something to do with there bike and how it is set up and how it runs. It's funny/strange that most of you that like stock settings insist on making sure that we are wrong, usually due to a piece of paper, and those of us that like our different settings, have no interest in telling you that your bike is slower with your settings.

Matt
I totally agree with what you are saying Matt - some do not understand that factories are limited as to what they can build and sell to the public. This is the reason some countries don't get the vboost added and this is the reason aftermarket parts are made- bottom line is modification.
When most people start out in drag racing they buy a stock car or bike and move up in classes by modifying. There are many tricks to the trade (some like to trade their tricks and some don't). I have learn at the track from many racers and learned to stay away from a few.
On EVERY vehicle i have owned the first thing i do i slot the sprockets on the camshafts so i am able to degree the cams where i want them. Then i go to carbs.
(Sorry, i'm going to keep that part to myself).
As far a drag racing to et time slips to prove something there are many tricks to that trade also.
Smaller front tires help reaction time and most important is measuring roll out on the track. To win your best advantage is your reaction time.
Leaving the starting line at 10,000rpm will change your time slip if you are normally leaving at 5,000rpm and also deep staging so throw those numbers out the window.
When you feel more "PULL" come from having your vboost open all the time and you state that it has more low end torque and is easier for you to wheelie i have learned that the more horsepower and torque you have leaving the starting line will give you a quicker et in the 1/4 mile.

What I do find nice and what I see a fair bit on this forum, is that most of us seem to have the enough morals, values or respect for each other not to want to actually offend each other too much. I've find it refreshing that people actually bother to make sure that we know, they meant no harm. And just so you all know in the future, This is all good fun to me and I love almost every post in some sick sort of way. It wouldn't be informative or fun if we all thought the same things. Keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Back