Douche Move? branded leathers.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyjones955

Reaction score
I have been curious about this for years. I have to come out of the closet as a recovered (former) HD owner and im well aware of sensus of riding a Harley without some variant of the HD emblem, flames, a flaming skull, or some sort of Ed Hardy-esquee pre-adolescent snake coiled around crossbones with a dagger through it sort of thing. So... This questoin is without regard to any UAM brands. I intentionally excluded rockers/colors.

Whats the first thing that you think when you see someone wearing a XXXX jacket while riding a YYYY?

Where do you draw the line? Is it in poor taste? Offensive? Is it ok if the jacket and bike are from the same country? Do you notice, or even care?

I will take delivery of my 99 Vmax on the 23rd and will be wearing my retro heavy Triumph leather to pick it up, and indefinately thereafter. Im just OCD enough to value continuity so if I see a tasteful Yamaha jacket i may consider it. Personally I draw the line (for my own use) at gear branded (ie, Joe Rocket) with all the graphics. Its no more my style than a barbed wire sleeve. I have enough color in my lid and jacket to be pretty visible so my question does not even pertain to safety oriented colors/ reflective graphics. I got the Triumph jacket in 2000 with my new Sprint ST and used it with my KLR to. When i sold my last HD I happily got fid of all associated items and washed my hands of it, the Euro bikes had me hooked and I felt compelled to reinvent myself. Anymore im live and let live but I do notice it when I see it.

Lemme hear opinions, i cant be offended. What do you think about this, opinions/experiences...

Wearing a jacket of one brand while riding another marque of motorcycle tells everyone, "I have more than one bike!" That's how I interpret it.

I wear a hi-viz adventure/tour jacket, so I'm probably not the right guy to ask. BUT... I don't think anybody on here would even consider giving you a hard time for any jacket/bike pairing. I'd wear a full Dainese suit all the time if I wasn't such a fatty. I think high quality gear is very important.

Also, riding in a douchey manner on any bike with any (or no) gear makes you a douche, not your gear.

I like Triumphs so I'd have no problem with wearing a Triumph Jacket while riding my Vmax.
Vmax guys tend to be lone wolves/rebels/slightly insane people who tend to Not care what other people think anyways.
So wear what you want and just be careful until you get used to your Vmax and VBoost !

Wearing a jacket of one brand while riding another marque of motorcycle tells everyone, "I have more than one bike!" That's how I interpret it.

Really ? I'd look like and feel like a complete prat riding my Yamaha while wearing a Suzuki jacket and visa versa. Kinda like going to a Cardinals / Cubs game wearing a Brewers shirt. If you support your marque, wear it, If you don't, go neutral. Pretty bloody simple and it avoids confusion.

Chris.

I pretty much do as please while using caution not hurt others, i got a few interesting reactions with the Triumph leather while rolling the Kaw and while riding a friends panhead a guy leaned out of his truck and yelled "buy a real jacket fag". I found humor in that but my feelings are not easily hurt. I have long been curious about why and to what degree this is an issue. I have never thought to ask before what folks really feel about this. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I love my T jacket, its awesome, lots of years and miles. I see plenty of fashion statements i cant get behind but the veriety keeps it interesting. Thr T is pretty safe, I really think im going to like the max crowd. Thanks guys.

It could be a terrible mistake to wear the soccer jersey in my wifes country, glad US motorcyclists are pretty laid back!

Although I wouldn't wear a jacket with a different name brand on it, I have to say a wouldn't wear a jacket with any brand on it. If you can't tell what kind of bike I'm on already then you're probably someone that doesn't care and I don't care to tell either. Wear whatever makes you happy I say. Just keep in mind that if you wear a matching set of gear that is supposed to make you look like a superbike racer wanna be, many people will then think you are royal Douche!

Matt

I would HATE to wear a suit everyday to work and worry that some clothing are not matching . I wear a motor cycle jacket that I like I could not give a rats ass if it offends anybody it's there to protect and it's kinda comfy even if my boots don't match .lol

Although I wouldn't wear a jacket with a different name brand on it, I have to say a wouldn't wear a jacket with any brand on it. If you can't tell what kind of bike I'm on already then you're probably someone that doesn't care and I don't care to tell either.
Wear whatever makes you happy I say. .....
Matt
I'd say I agree with all this mostly.

I did always want a Vmax jacket, however... but only for when I'm NOT on the Max. ya know, just so when your at a bar/restaurant/ho down.. people still know I'm awesome. :eusa_dance:

Maybe it is me.. But I never match... I could care less about things looking great, but more about what is practical and comfortable. Hell I get crap from the HDs and the sportbike guys.. But when it come down to it, kinda like the military we band together. If people want to be assholes about little shit they will. Hell my vmax has HD highway pegs, they were free...Not like I could see myself on a HD unless it was won or given to me..They just want too much and to charge the hell out of you for a service...Most of my motorcycle gear was bought being on sale.. I have a $300 Nolan helmet, I got for $80 on closeout. If you like it screw them.. Now If I could find a nice Vmax leather jacket in Gray( black is too hot) for a great price I would jump on it. Until then, I wear my mesh jacket, you can't tell who made it.. Just don't go get hot pink crap and your ok.. Besides once the bike stops my gear comes off.

I've ordered a set of leathers identical to this fellow's rigging.
Will anyone be offended that it doesn't have "Yamaha" splashed all over it?
Should be here in time for Thunder (I'm leading a ride)...should be a great time!
Cheers!

Attachments

• My new outfit for the V-Max!.jpg
    My new outfit for the V-Max!.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 42
I guess I'm not concerned to much with it. I got a deal on a new Shoie helmet ($190) that had a Suzuki brand on it. A comfortable helmet with an S for Steve-o in the front. I admit I walked right by the HD boots at Sears without even a thought of trying them on.:rofl_200:

Had no clue that there are people who cares about it. I just wear what I can afford, suites well, protects me and looks good for my taste. The rest, who cares?!

I have never understood the whole brand loyal thing.

I have never bought t-shirt, jacket, etc... that had a motorcycle/ automobile brand name on it. I am just not that brand loyal.

Rode Harleys for nearly 20 years and never even bought an HD t-shirt. Owned Vmaxs for 12+ years and don't own anything other than the bike that says Yamaha.

Can't see myself paying money to advertise a company/brand name. If they give it to me, than I will wear it.

Mike

I wear an Icon jacket and helmet. They fit my taste and work with any bike i throw a leg over. I say as long as youre not going down the road wearing boots, helmet and a purple thong, who cares.

I wouldn't wear gear from one brand while riding another, unless I couldn't afford other gear, but that's just me. For almost this exact reason, I prefer to buy gear that isn't motorcycle make branded. My jacket is Castle X Streetwear, by chaps are River Road, my boots are RedWing, and my helmets are Bell & Fly. Even though all of that stuff doesn't "match" I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of my gear or how I look. I'm safe and protected, and if I happen to leave my Max for something else (hopefully a gen2) I'll still have gear that'll work for me.

Whatever you have, wear it. Who cares what they think. You just have to be fast enough that they can't read the jacket. ;)

I'd bought an HD jacket a number of years back when I thought I'd never be able to find (afford) a proper ride... a VMAX. I wear it ONLY on cold cold days now.
I had a club member tell me once that "You could get hurt wearing that on a Jap bike". I laughed, and subsequently told him that the guy I took it from wouldn't run for pinks, so I took his jacket. LMFAO True story.
Anyhow, wear what you like it's the ride that counts... ON ANY BIKE. Just ride...

I guess I'm not concerned to much with it. I got a deal on a new Shoie helmet ($190) that had a Suzuki brand on it. A comfortable helmet with an S for Steve-o in the front. I admit I walked right by the HD boots at Sears without even a thought of trying them on.:rofl_200:
Is that a Dig at my Bieber Boots ?!?!?! :rofl_200:

And the funny thing is I only bought them because they were on a shelf at my local Honda dealer and he sold them to me at less than his cost just to get them off the shelf. He said they'd been there for over a year and no one else even tried them on.
I have to say though, they are nice boots.
And that damn Harley symbol will not fly off even at 145 mph. ;)

Attachments

• Harley-91680-Brake-Light-Boot-Right-Side.jpg
    Harley-91680-Brake-Light-Boot-Right-Side.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back