"slimline" mirrors?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtoebaert-5311

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi! Am almost near completion of the transformation of Llamrei into Punisher, last time got some real good advice here when I was looking for a "short tail" for my bike :clapping:, so I`d like to repeat the experience regarding the mirrors! As you can see from the mini-blinkers, I`m trying to "slim down" the front view of the bike (more pics in my "Punisher" album), so the wide mirrors need to go...I was thinking something bar-end like, but not necessarily. Preferably some kind of skull-and-bones look, but not essential if they otherwise look "streamlined." Any suggestions? Experiences with bar end? Can you actually see anything in them or are they just to fulfill the legal requirement to actually have mirrors :ummm:. Now I`m looking at the picture, are there alternative parts for the "Yamaha" nameplate on the fork brace? I'm not at home right now, can't check/remember if it's bolted on or an integral part of the brace...

Attachments

• SAM_3541.jpg
    SAM_3541.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 90
There are a number of small bar ends that will work and a few mirrors that are smaller heads like you're looking for. The bar ends will work more effectively though some (including myself) don't much like the look all that much.

The lower headlight bracket has the letters cast in. You could have it filled in and simply painted to eliminate that.

I think my Ken Sean Extreme Mini Teardrop Mirrors are BOSS. Their shape with black match the 2006 ghost flames very well. Their size is quite a bit smaller than the factory bull moose horns. They're available in chrome as well. To boot they were extremely inexpensive too.
Dumped the OEM chrome rubber grips for a set of Avons to darken/blacken things, and help shrink the look of the front end. Also for $20CDN, I replaced the clear turn signal lenses with smoked. Still am not fully enjoying the chrome turn signals, BUT, the lenses tone down the SIZE look of the factory chromes. With the mirrors and grips, the overall LARGENESS of the factory front end is visually reduced without straying too much from the stock look.
Next I will be either powder coating or simple black paining the mini windscreen hardware. (Suggestions anyone?) And possibly acting tint or iridium to the glass. (Again suggestions anyone?)
Just my designer thoughts... sometimes, less is more, but appearances can be HIGHLY manipulated with correct application of colour and form.

Attachments

• Flames, smoke and mirrors.jpg
    Flames, smoke and mirrors.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 66
I think my Ken Sean Extreme Mini Teardrop Mirrors are BOSS. Their shape with black match the 2006 ghost flames very well. Their size is quite a bit smaller than the factory bull moose horns. They're available in chrome as well. To boot they were extremely inexpensive too.
Dumped the OEM chrome rubber grips for a set of Avons to darken/blacken things, and help shrink the look of the front end. Also for $20CDN, I replaced the clear turn signal lenses with smoked. Still am not fully enjoying the chrome turn signals, BUT, the lenses tone down the SIZE look of the factory chromes. With the mirrors and grips, the overall LARGENESS of the factory front end is visually reduced without straying too much from the stock look.
Next I will be either powder coating or simple black paining the mini windscreen hardware. (Suggestions anyone?) And possibly acting tint or iridium to the glass. (Again suggestions anyone?)
Just my designer thoughts... sometimes, less is more, but appearances can be HIGHLY manipulated with correct application of colour and form.

Sorry to hijack, but you seem to want to black out your Max, Mr.Toss. Check this out.......
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=34342&highlight=gaitors
Love the look! (I'm Old School) probably will give my bike this treatment soon.
As for the upper forks, they could be vinyl-wrapped, OR covered with pieces of 1 1/2" ABS pipe. No need to disassemble your front end-just take a section out of the pipe (about an inch), then the pipe has enough flex to open up and snap over the fork tube. It can then be rotated so that the slit is not seen,
Cheers!

Whatever mirrors you choose please make sure they give you a splendid view of inattentive drivers looking to park in your colon at a stoplight.

I have to agree that the OEM mirrors look dated, blinkers to but from what I can find mirrors are hard to find in larger sizes.

That sounds like a real win/win. Great looking machine. I love the look of the smaller mirrors.

If I didnt plan on touring i would do drag bars and billit bar end teardrops.

Yeah. I TOTALLY agree, the OEMs for functionality cannot be beat.
And, I'm totally aware that with my smaller units, I'm able to see less. I simply compensate for them with more aggressive shoulder checks and bobble head movements.
Remember guys all the proactive efforts you'd been taught at you course at the college years ago.

Mr Lonnnnnngggg. Thanks. After having looked at the gators on the forks... not really my thing. I'm not looking to black out my MAX, but rather reach a pleasing balance of colours, forms etc that make up this bike. All the while holding true to what I fell in love with back in '85.
In fact, after having seen the windscreen hardware blacked out, I'm not quite certain that this would work for my Max either.

No need for apologies....most "slim" looking front I ever saw ; no fan of the fork protection, but do like the grips and mirrors a lot, will look up the owner's page and try to find out where to buy!

Sorry to hijack, but you seem to want to black out your Max, Mr.Toss. Check this out.......
As for the upper forks, they could be vinyl-wrapped, OR covered with pieces of 1 1/2" ABS pipe. No need to disassemble your front end-just take a section out of the pipe (about an inch), then the pipe has enough flex to open up and snap over the fork tube. It can then be rotated so that the slit is not seen,
Cheers!

Ah it's cast in - no go then. I wasn't sure; I don't mind the lettering, just thought that it was separately removable and would have replaced it with a custom plaque.

Actually don't like the look of mirrors at all :rofl_200:so want to replace them with anything nonconspicuous that still has some functionality, not sticking out the grips preferably (not increasing breadth of bike) - so the ones folding back into the handlebars kinda caught my eye now....

There are a number of small bar ends that will work and a few mirrors that are smaller heads like you're looking for. The bar ends will work more effectively though some (including myself) don't much like the look all that much.

The lower headlight bracket has the letters cast in. You could have it filled in and simply painted to eliminate that.

I like the set up with the mirrors under the drag bar. I plan on doing it on my vmax, but I wonder what are the pros and cons.

Now you got me hooked on those grips :bang head:

Back again! Best hijack EVER :worthy:
Totally hooked on Rusty's grips/levers/mirror set ; hope he finds the comment I left in his album; I guess he'll get a message automatically that someone left a comment?

Cheers!

Attachments

• barend.jpg
    barend.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 31
I installed a pair of Pro One Pro-Mini Contour mirrors, had them on a Vrod I had to:punk:

Attachments

• WP_mirror_pic.jpg
    WP_mirror_pic.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 38
Back again! Best hijack EVER :worthy:
Totally hooked on Rusty's grips/levers/mirror set ; hope he finds the comment I left in his album; I guess he'll get a message automatically that someone left a comment?

The mirror set looks very good on the bike but remember that you will have to get used to move your head down to look at them , specially if you use a full face helmet.
I already got my mirrors to change, grips and new bar ends with some blue on it and I still need to buy a black drag bar and will install in the end of the season. Then I will see if I can get used to look down, but if not, can always be flipped up which it also looks good.

Latest posts

Back