New Tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poolio

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had the dreaded head shake/wobble at well over the speed limit. Definitely grabbed my attention. After checking the torque on the neck nut, I was looking at a bit of cash for the solid motor mounts and frame braces. After reading about people's experience with shinko tires and needing New ones I purchased a set. Bike is a 2002 and was completely stock, original brakes and tires. What a difference, the shinko's may have a short life but for $148 for both I don't care. They are super sticky and the head shake has seemed to go away. I never would have thought a worn fire could cause such violence in the bars. Once again the VMax forum to the rescue! Still plan on adding the braces and mounts, just have a little more time to budget it now

Good deal.
I only had the high speed death wobble once and that was enough for me.
It was caused by a cupped front tire.
I put on a new tire and the wobble disappeared and hasn't been back since.
I do check my steering head bearings every spring as apart of my regular maintenance and keep a good check on the condition of my front tire.

Had the dreaded head shake/wobble at well over the speed limit. Definitely grabbed my attention...... I never would have thought a worn fire could cause such violence in the bars.

+1

My 02 had a worn front when i got it a couple years back......worn on 1 side really bad...so i was thinkin there might be more wrong than meets the eye.

A new tire (and also the 'bounce test' got me adjusting the bearing nut correctly) fixed the issue.

Thanks again vmax forum.

T $

If the conversion was cheaper Id go with a big Avon or bridgestone battle ax. The 15" wheel really limits your choices. Especially if you try to match them. You pretty much limited to Dunlop, bridgestone and shinko. All the others are mix and match

I personally like a Shinko TM 230 rear with a Bridgestone Battlax BT-45V front.
I've ran that setup for 2 summers and liked it a LOT.

But I will probably try a Shinko TM 230 front at some point just to see how I like it.

I'll tell you my bike enjoys the corners at a different angle and confidence level with the shinko's. Get that 170 on the back warm and it's pretty easy to get the front up

If the conversion was cheaper Id go with a big Avon or bridgestone battle ax. The 15" wheel really limits your choices. Especially if you try to match them. You pretty much limited to Dunlop, bridgestone and shinko. All the others are mix and match

Funny,I got the Metzler 880 matching pair.I can get 8,000 miles out of my rear!Works for me..

Which metzeler? The me880? I thought I looked pretty good and could find a lot of v rated tires that matched. There were tire companies with 2 different models you could match up. But not many tire sets

Which metzeler? The me880? I thought I looked pretty good and could find a lot of v rated tires that matched. There were tire companies with 2 different models you could match up. But not many tire sets

I ordered mine through motorcycle superstore .com.I am on my second set now.That is the Metzler me 880 marathon.I upsized it last time on the rear to the size bigger on the rear and it worked with no mods.It gives it a little beefier look and ups the gear ratio a little to help out on the highway,especially on the interstate..

The ME880 and ME888 are H Rated though and pretty hard so they last longer.
They are good tires if you mostly ride straight roads or on the highway.
But if you ride a LOT of twisty roads, fairly hard, you'd be Much better off with the Shinko's.

There's an Excel Spreadsheet of tires that fit the Gen 1 Stock Rims here:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?p=281550#post281550

Avon can match as well.
I have matching Avon VenomX AM41/42 tires in 120/90-18 and 170/80-15.
The Venoms are no longer offered in my preferred size, but they have their Cobras which I will try next.

Shinko's on my 07. Night and day handling after swapping out my old Dunlops.

If radials aren't an option, go Shinko. You won't be disapointed with the grip and I would defy a radial running bike to to show you a clean pair of heals through anything but the tightest curve

Chris.

^ Eactly invalidsession,
I've ridden with a few guys that have radials on their Gen 1 and they couldn't lose me in the twisties with Shinko TM 230 rear and Battlax BT-45V front on my Max.

Last edited:
I love hammering the gas out of a turn and the front wheel trying to pick up why the ass does its own thing lol. For $148 I'll burn a set or two of shinko's for now. Maybe I'll find my way into a new rear wheel next season so I have more options. I've ridden a lot of bikes, this thing is just wild and gives me ear to ear grins every time I get on her

The ME880 and ME888 are H Rated though and pretty hard so they last longer.
They are good tires if you mostly ride straight roads or on the highway.
But if you ride a LOT of twisty roads, fairly hard, you'd be Much better off with the Shinko's.

There's an Excel Spreadsheet of tires that fit the Gen 1 Stock Rims here:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?p=281550#post281550
The metzler's work good for me,guess I don't ride that hard,but I do occasionally see 130-140 mph and have not had a problem with them.I may ride 200-250 miles in an afternoon and soft tires don't last long doing that.I don't want to change the tires every season.Depends on your riding preference.

Hi all.
I am a new V-Max rider and new to the forum but have been riding many years. For you guys that are running the Shinkos front and rear, what model Shinko are you running? I have Dunlop Qualifiers on it now and the rear has very few miles on it but the front will need replacing before long. I have never been a fan of Dunlop tires and have never had a front Dunlop that didn't cup. I thought the cupping was causing my front end shake but then I read the Steering Head Bounce test, did the adjustment and now I can let go of the bars at any speed and she tracks smooth and straight. Thanks forum

Hoppy

Latest posts

Back