Any advice on what to pack/carry for the trip to Thunder

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falaholic

Reaction score
Wanted to ask the vets what they recommend I take with me for the trip up to Thunder. This will be my first long distance trip.

Wanted to ask the vets what they recommend I take with me for the trip up to Thunder. This will be my first long distance trip.

I packed kinda light when I went last year. Among other things, I forgot to bring my ironing board.:biglaugh:

Attachments

• Blue Ridge 014.jpg
    Blue Ridge 014.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 57
A small inclusive medkit, chapstick, drinking water, dont forget your phone charger and have a way to plug it in on the bike. Tire plug kit/air cyl. ,I carry xtra oil to. GPS, neck gaiter, gloves, sunscreen, cash, and energy bars. It sounds like alot but fits into a tankbag easily. I usually carry my Colt A90 where legal, and my rainsuit. Whatever clothes you need. I put a firestarter, compass, bivi, and Gerber multitool from my bug out bag. I enjoy solo touring and often take the road less travelled and prepare for having to handle any crisis alone. Extra fuel is a very good idea to. I have not been to this ralley but these are all things you may need if things dont go according to plan. I was always a sucker for adventure and easily sidetracked. I have needed most of these items before and while numerous to list most of it can be compact.

To my toolkit i added a few lengths of wire, small 3M duct tape, zipties, sealed tube of permatex, small dia 5' roll of siphoning hose and JB weld. I avidly avoided superslabs and cities and often stayed out days longer than planned. If you are sticking to highways and not going to far you can lighten it up according to your own judgement. Im probably forgetting something someone else will mention.

I really want to attend a Vmax ralley someday.

Have a blast!

0.jpg

Sig 238..... Small and easy to conceal. Doesn't bother me wearing leathers.

All you need is duct tape. Everyone knows that if it can't be fixed with duct tape that it's completely broken!

Seriously though, you might want a lawn chair for sitting outside in the evening. If you are trailering, a canopy is also useful to park / sit under if it should rain. I use (4) 5-gallon buckets filled with water and attached with tie-downs to hold it down.

Now, if you are RIDING to the event, then you'll probably have to forgo all except for the lawn chair(s). I have successfully carried (2) on my bike.

20150531_171517_zpsutaxhf45.jpg

I don't always pack the same stuff for each trip, it depends on the itinerary, weather and any activities at the destination. But one thing I always bring is my tool roll. I thought long and each tool that is included was tested on the bike in the shop so I know it works. I don't ever take anything out of it just because they are exact duplicates of my shop tools. I put together a little video of my tool roll incase anyone wants to copy me, you would be wise to at least take my tools under consideration.
Here ya go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsLPIMr6MWc

I am gonna suggest whatever Rx you may be taking, if any. If you don't now, later in life, you will, assuming you go to the MD regularly. Not that they are 'pill pushers' but as you age, the majority of us develop issues like hypertension, prostate problems, maybe a metabolic illness like type 2 diabetes, CVA's, atrial fibrillation, ulcers, skin cancer, cataracts, rheumatoid arthritis, tinnitus, etc. each one of these has its own set of care requirements. Carry extra, including an extra pair of prescription glasses, and sunglasses; don't forget sunscreen. Bring a wide-brim ventilated hat which has a circumferential vent system (some type of mesh), not just a couple of useless brass grommets on each side. The 360* brim is much better than a mere baseball cap. How many times have you seen some idiot wearing his baseball cap backwards, and holding his open palm above his eyes, on a bright day? Learn how to use what you have. A folding pocket knife is another good tool, and a small pocket compass may help you if you're unable to get cell reception or if your Tom Tom doesn't have a charge.

A credit card w/some "room" on it, a charger for your cellphone and GPS, a charging port out of the weather on your bike, and a medical history list and contact info on your phone (google 'ICE") will help if you have need of it.

I don't always pack the same stuff for each trip, it depends on the itinerary, weather and any activities at the destination. But one thing I always bring is my tool roll. I thought long and each tool that is included was tested on the bike in the shop so I know it works. I don't ever take anything out of it just because they are exact duplicates of my shop tools. I put together a little video of my tool roll incase anyone wants to copy me, you would be wise to at least take my tools under consideration.
Here ya go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsLPIMr6MWc
Ichiban videos always bring a smile. They are "bad ass" [emoji1]

Back