Speedo bulbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 12424

Reaction score
1985 - how do I get into speedo to replace bulbs? Only have the supplemental manual and can't find a anything. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Remove the painted or chrome cover and you have access. The manual says they are 3 watt bulbs and the idiot lights are the same watt value as the bulbs for the speedo. Without opening my own speedo I couldn't tell you what style the base is.

Last edited:
Thanks. By the cover do you mean the ring on the side facing me? Does it twist off?

Thanks. By the cover do you mean the ring on the side facing me? Does it twist off?

No the 'can' looking piece covering the speedo below the lens and chrome bezel, the ring around the lens. Some models it's 'chrome' on the plastic, some it's just black plastic. Remove that and you'll see where the wire harness rubber bulb covers press into the speedo body.

I'm fairly sure they are type 74 wedge base bulbs. Very common. There's a sticky here about "bright gauges" with photos and info. LED "bulb" replacements are widely available so you can make the gauges light up any color you want.

Ra, long time no hear, glad you are back giving us good info.

Yes, they are wedge-type base bulbs, 3 watts, about 3/4" long. Here's a pic I took of one since I posted earlier.

I'm fairly sure they are type 74 wedge base bulbs. Very common. There's a sticky here about "bright gauges" with photos and info. LED "bulb" replacements are widely available so you can make the gauges light up any color you want.

Attachments

• instrument bulb_three-fourths inch long.JPG
    instrument bulb_three-fourths inch long.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 39
I have the can loose but can't figure out how to get it off. Can only pull it a little back.

Copy on breaking something. Thats what I'm afraid of. Didn't see anything there about getting to the bulbs. Just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding which part is which. There is a ring around the speedo display, and a "can" behind it. I need to remove the can. Underneath the can is what looks like a white plastic casing. I need to remove the "can" Does it come straight back? Up? Appreciate your help. Would me sending a pic help?

Sorry, that that thread had photos showing how.

The speedo ring won't come off.

You need to remove the cup off the back. That requires removing the trim piece that holds the turn signals. Once it's out if the way you can see the back of the speedo. the cover is screwed on.

I find it easier to remove the 2 bolts that secure the whole speedo unit to the bike and then remove the cover

Got it apart and replaced bulbs. They are not very bright. Would LED bulbs work? Tried LED turn signals with no luck.

Latest posts

Back