back tire washer swap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellboy

Reaction score
I'm mounting my new 170/80/15 rear tire on Tuesday and was looking at fire-medics write up on the washer swap that I keep hearing about. Hopefully, my Commander II won't need it but is it better to just go ahead and do it or wait and see if it's needed? It seems that putting the washer inside the diff, that you are affecting the mesh between the diff and the wheel hub by not allowing them to push up snug to each other. I know you shouldn't, but I do assume that this isn't the case since it seems like a common "fix". Can someone just reassure me that it won't cause any diff gear problems or if it's only a last resort thing?

Thanks, Matt

I don't recall ever hearing of a problem related to the washer swap but you are absolutely right....it will reduce contact between the driver & driven sides of the spline by the thickness of the washer. I've never felt that was a good idea and probly won't be needed with a 170 anyway.

All the tire has to do is clear the swingarm because as soon as rotation begins centrifugal force causes it to grow taller, pulling the sidewalls inward.

Yeah, It's so simple to remove the tire, I thought I'd probably just fit it and check the clearance first. I think in this case, a miss is as good as a mile.

Matt

180's have been mounted in a stock swing-arm without the washer swap. Though I also haven't heard of any issues doing the swap, I would notch my swing-arm if I needed clearance. The off-set is far enough already on some bikes.

I don't think you need to do the washer swap with the Commander II 170.
But I have never heard of any problems caused by the washer swap.
So even if you have to do, it shouldn't be an issue.

I forgot a posted this on "what did you do to your bike today".
I just thought I'd put it here as well. The Michelin Commander II 170/80/15 easily fits without the washer swap. I love the wider look and surprisingly it seems to handle nicer in the turns. This could be due to the fact that all new tires feel better than old but I'm pretty certain that it is also actually a little more "rounded" maybe, allowing what seems to be a smoother transition from upright to leaned??? I like it a lot either way.

Matt

I forgot a posted this on "what did you do to your bike today".
I just thought I'd put it here as well. The Michelin Commander II 170/80/15 easily fits without the washer swap. I love the wider look and surprisingly it seems to handle nicer in the turns. This could be due to the fact that all new tires feel better than old but I'm pretty certain that it is also actually a little more "rounded" maybe, allowing what seems to be a smoother transition from upright to leaned??? I like it a lot either way.

Matt
What tire were you running on the rear before the Commander II ?
If it was an OEM Bridgestone Exedra or Dunlop Qualifier ANY tire will feel better In the curves because they are both fairly flat shaped tires.

I personally have used more rounded rear tires for years and I like the 150 better than the 170 for cornering but that could just be me.
Years ago I tried a 170/80 ME880 after using a 150/90 Michelin Macadam 50 and it just seemed like I had to work harder to get the bike leaned over.
After the ME880 was spent I went to back to a 150/90 and stayed with that size.

I had the Exedra, didn't know it was ever OEM though. It's nice that we at least have enough choice to keep most of us happy.

Latest posts

Back