have to pump clutch after interstate runs?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstone8952

Reaction score
recently my max has developeda new bug- after long rides on the interstate i pull on tge clutch lever and its like nothings there. i have to pump it about 5 quick times to get it to fully engage, the clutch grabbing a little more with each pump. this continues until i park it and after a while when i come back its fine again.

what gives?

recently my max has developeda new bug- after long rides on the interstate i pull on tge clutch lever and its like nothings there. i have to pump it about 5 quick times to get it to fully engage, the clutch grabbing a little more with each pump. this continues until i park it and after a while when i come back its fine again.

what gives?

Sounds like it needs bleeding.

I agree with Dan
Check level, bleed.

If the problem comes back you got a problem that could be anything from the master to the slave or inbetween including banjo bolts, crush washers, or the line itself.

well i finally has time to bleed it. seems fixed but i guess time will tell.

If the problem returns soon, then you probably need to rebuild the master cyl and/or the slave cyl. If you don't have fluid leaking-down the clutch handle then it's probably leaking internally past the front seal closest to the banjo bolt, if the slave is working properly.

Mine was doing the same thing. It was leaking at the handelbar lever. Not enough to show fluid just enough to let air in. I discovered it was leaking at the lever when I loosened the master cylinder cover and let it set over night. The next morning there was fluid dripping from the lever. Hope this helps.

Mine was doing the same thing. It was leaking at the handelbar lever. Not enough to show fluid just enough to let air in. I discovered it was leaking at the lever when I loosened the master cylinder cover and let it set over night. The next morning there was fluid dripping from the lever. Hope this helps.

That sounds more like your fluid level was too high in the reservoir, and when loosened, the lid allowed the brake fluid to seep past the top. This could happen when too much fluid is put in while the bars are level, and then the bike was sitting with the bars tilted to one side or the other as the lid was loosened. :confused2:

what gives?

Had this problem on both of my bikes previously. Bleeding worked for periods of time until the problem returned.
It was failing slave seals for which there is a replacement kit and fixed it for good.
Of course it could be master cylinder or something else but my first suspicion would be slave.

Latest posts

Back