How to Install 12V Outlet / Fan Switch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motomick76

Reaction score
Since it is too brisk to ride, I am wondering on how to make my day useful. Along with installing a manual fan switch I decided to install a 12 outlet. Since we depend on our phones/smart phones, what are the chances of being out and then phone dying? I have been there with the car, but out riding I think it is more critical. Plus the outlet was laying around in the garage and wanted to put it to use.

So today I installed a 12V outlet and fan switch, and here is how I did it.

12 Volt Outlet:

Parts Needed:
1. 12V automotive outlet that is two piece screw together
2. Fuse-able link to protect circuit and black wire
3. Spade connectors for outlet, shrink tube, solder, iron

1. First I decided where I was going to place the outlet, which is on the plastic cover near the ignition switch. Make sure there is plenty of clearace behind cover. (Refer to picture)

2. I traced out diameter of outlet, and cut with Dremel, then installed outlet on cover. (Refer to picture)

3. Take ignition switch out. Carefully cut sheathing back, and splice into the red wire with fuse-able link. I used a soldering iron to make connection, then sealed with shrink wrap. I installed a female-spade connector on other end of fuse-able link and finished with shrink wrap. (Refer to picture)

4. Solder ground wire to outlet, finish with Shrink wrap. On other end of ground wire I installed a eyelet connector to go through one of mounting bolts for ignition switch assembly. (Refer to picture)

5. Install covers and enjoy new outlet to power your stuff. (Refer to picture)

There may be some controversy installing it on the red wire of ignition, (reliability) and that is main reason I soldered connection. I felt it would be more useful long term if didn't need to to keep lights on to use outlet. I also did not want to splice in main harness, and that is also why I chose the switch harness. If you would rather have it switched, splice it in the brown wire.

Manual Fan Switch:

Parts Needed :
1. Single Pole Rocker Type Switch
2. Female spade connectors and wire

1. Make template for switch, and transfer to plastic cover for ignition switch. Cut out with Dremel and file to proper fit. (Refer to picture)

2. Make two lengths of wire about 1 ft long. On each end install a female spade connector and shrink the end. (Refer to picture)

3. Expose wiring harness for the fan switch. This would be the white plastic connector with the blue and brown wire. Carefully expose blue and brown wire. Solder pre-made wires to the blue and brown wires. Finish with shrink wrap then re-wrap harness with electrical tape. Route wires to front where switch is located and install spades on switch. (It does not matter where the blue or brown go on switch, it will work the same.

4. Install cover and WOLA! Manual switch for fan.

One more thing I did today, I installed the Sequential Taillight, but could not find the little chrome covers, I even went to a plumbing wholesaler in town and they did not have any. So I improvised by installing 3/8 SS cap screws with spacer, washers, and nut on back. Now if I carry something, I have a place to hook a bungee strap. (Refer to picture)

Attachments

• IMG_0218-001.JPG
    IMG_0218-001.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_0223-001.JPG
    IMG_0223-001.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_0225-001.JPG
    IMG_0225-001.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_0226-002.JPG
    IMG_0226-002.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_0232-001.JPG
    IMG_0232-001.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_0234-001.JPG
    IMG_0234-001.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_0235-001.JPG
    IMG_0235-001.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_0238-001.JPG
    IMG_0238-001.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_0237-001.JPG
    IMG_0237-001.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 440
That looks factory....very good job. Ive thought about adding a 12 volt outlet, and now I will just follow your instructions...Thank you

Since it is too brisk to ride, I am wondering on how to make my day useful. Along with installing a manual fan switch I decided to install a 12 outlet. Since we depend on our phones/smart phones, what are the chances of being out and then phone dying? I have been there with the car, but out riding I think it is more critical. Plus the outlet was laying around in the garage and wanted to put it to use.

So today I installed a 12V outlet and fan switch, and here is how I did it.

12 Volt Outlet:

Parts Needed:
1. 12V automotive outlet that is two piece screw together
2. Fuse-able link to protect circuit and black wire
3. Spade connectors for outlet, shrink tube, solder, iron

1. First I decided where I was going to place the outlet, which is on the plastic cover near the ignition switch. Make sure there is plenty of clearace behind cover. (Refer to picture)

2. I traced out diameter of outlet, and cut with Dremel, then installed outlet on cover. (Refer to picture)

3. Take ignition switch out. Carefully cut sheathing back, and splice into the red wire with fuse-able link. I used a soldering iron to make connection, then sealed with shrink wrap. I installed a female-spade connector on other end of fuse-able link and finished with shrink wrap. (Refer to picture)

4. Solder ground wire to outlet, finish with Shrink wrap. On other end of ground wire I installed a eyelet connector to go through one of mounting bolts for ignition switch assembly. (Refer to picture)

5. Install covers and enjoy new outlet to power your stuff. (Refer to picture)

There may be some controversy installing it on the red wire of ignition, (reliability) and that is main reason I soldered connection. I felt it would be more useful long term if didn't need to to keep lights on to use outlet. I also did not want to splice in main harness, and that is also why I chose the switch harness. If you would rather have it switched, splice it in the brown wire.
There is always the USB outlet that you can use to charge your electronics. Check it out: Burns Moto

I had one of those (cigarette?!) lighters that looked like a thin CB microphone back in 86. You key the Mike and it made a wire grid glow red hot. Easy to take 12 v off just about anything up front. I made mine with removable connectors so I could remove it neatly or use for an outlet. No cell phones, USBs and the like. Radar detector yes.

Great idea. i clamped mine to the handlebar and it has served me well, but have come to see it as "eyesore"ish. I will be blatantly copying your mod. Very nice!!!

Mine was zip tied to the frame, and was useless because of placement. I took it off, and then yesterday there was the flash of brilliance!

There is also the idea of using for the trickle charger port, but the connectors are backwards. You wouldn't want the voltage on the male connector, unless you were very careful when plugging it in.

I am picky about having smooth lines on the bike, and hate 'hanging stuff' on the bike. I had an extra 12v charger laying around with micro-usb and on charger is USB port too. I put it in my tool pouch under the seat, and I will never forget it.

Mine is connected directly to the battery, with a 15A fuse in line. Brilliant for weekends camping, I can blow up my airbed without turning blue and seeing stars, and a good way to get talking while other people wait for theirs to get hard (ooer Mrs). Got a 12v lighter extension lead from AldiLidl and a '3 x lighter and USB' splitter box so I can use/charge all sorts.

Another useful mod is some hefty cables from battery to a forklift connector under the dummy.tank and a matching cable with big clips for jumpleads - the VMax (or ZZR1100, t'other bike) battery is a bit buried...

I did the same thing under my passenger seat, flip up the seat like your gonna fuel and its right there.. I hooked mine directly to the battery as well and then bought a male plug for it and hooked my tender plug up that way, or you can charge you phone between stops or even run the cord between the seats and keep it in your pocket while charging but I've never done it that way, I use it mainly for the tender..

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Good work looks nice.

I work on 1 few months ago for my vmax. I may try your location you use and plug the end of the 12 volt socket plug wiring to my trickle charge plug so I can pull it a lose when I need to.

Right now it's hook to 12 volt converter I open up cut the wiring wire from the circuit board end wires and splice in a plug to match my trickle charger plug and 1 on the other end that runs up to my gps that also can be use for my cell to.

The circuit board is tape up real good and under the seat I did this about 5 months ago works find.

I hook up main lights switch, that I cut off my lights when crank the bike up To cut back on the amp draw from the battery when starting the bike.

Attachments

• P1010719.jpg
    P1010719.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 121
  • vmax gps.jpg
    vmax gps.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I this 1 is cool to. I found this on amazon.com for $29.00 usb drive that plugs in a trickle charger plug. It had a 5 stars from people that use it so far.

Attachments

• vmax usb power 1.jpg
    vmax usb power 1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 102
  • vmax usb power.jpg
    vmax usb power.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 95
I this 1 is cool to. I found this on amazon.com for $29.00 usb drive that plugs in a trickle charger plug. It had a 5 stars from people that use it so far.
I like that. All of the other options are great also. I just like to not make changes I can't reverse easily.

Thanks guys for all the ideas. I use my phone on the bike alot since I got my Scala G4.

I like that. All of the other options are great also. I just like to not make changes I can't reverse easily.

Thanks guys for all the ideas. I use my phone on the bike alot since I got my Scala G4.

I installed one on my handlebars. It connects to my Battery Tender hookup on my battery. When not in use it is not connected. Easily removed leaving no modifications to the bike. Might be able to see the set-up in my pictures.

I bought a cig lighter USB adapter at Dealextreme.com for 2 bucks. 1A output, and workes fine. Free ship, but it takes a week or so to get it from China. I've seen them locally for like $8.00.

I used your idea yesterday motomick76. It looks really good and clean. The only thing wrong (that I didn't notice ahead of time) is with a phone charger or GPS cable plugged into it, it obstructs the right fork with a hard right turn. Little too late now huh? lol

I used your idea yesterday motomick76. It looks really good and clean. The only thing wrong (that I didn't notice ahead of time) is with a phone charger or GPS cable plugged into it, it obstructs the right fork with a hard right turn. Little too late now huh? lol

That is why I installed mine on the handlebars. Also, already have two switches on that plastic piece, the fan over-ride and the rectangular driving light.

I love the under seat idea, fantastic!
Now for my question that may or may not be related to this subject.
I have a female 1/8" "jack" that looks like I could plug in a set of headphones on my '98. This "jack" is located just behind the handle bars just below the feux tank on the left side of the bike...imagine almost opposite of the ignition switch. What is this "jack" for? ....and is it even factory?

Latest posts

Back