Easiest way to put it on the center stand

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 wood block, 2x4 to be exact. but now that i've lowered mine 1-1/2", i'm using the 2x4 as a "ramp" onto a 2x6 piece of scrap concrete landscaping edging. LOL

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Right before I disassembled the bike and the center stand was permanently removed and tabs were cut off, a 1 ton chain hoist was the easiest way to get it on the center stand...

Canadian models all came equipped with this nifty fold-out lifting handle.
Lower than the rear grab bar, and directly above the c.s. foot pad.
Makes the job super easy.
Cheers! :punk:

Attachments

• P1010912.jpg
    P1010912.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 84
  • P1010914.jpg
    P1010914.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 88
That would do the trick Miles, seems like it would allow you to use more of your legs for lifting force.
Q: does it have a detent to maintain it's open position while lifting?

That would do the trick Miles, seems like it would allow you to use more of your legs for lifting force.
Q: does it have a detent to maintain it's open position while lifting?

Yup, basically just involves straightening your right leg, while keeping a firm grip on the handle.
A. No detent, just a snug fit at the pivot point. I often forget to fold it back in after using.
have a great day, Brian

That grip is a really good trick.
I'm always in the shit since I don't have grab bar.
Don't laugh but I'm still wondering how to put the bike on the stand with my light weight lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Since I lowered the front with shorter radials, raised the forks 1 inch, got old and weigh about 155 plus gear, I haven't been able to get it on the center stand without using the 2x4 trick. There was a time I could do it but have lost much of my strength with age. :confused2:

I find the grab handle's too far back, so pull on the frame rail between the shock mount and swingarm, bike pops right up and I'm not a big guy, 5'6 and 150 pounds, I did a 17" wheel convert so it rides lower that stock, too (need to shorten the sidestand, puts it so upright that it can tip t'other way on a bad camber).
Here in Thu UK it's a fail in the bike test if you can't get it on the centrestand, so it's taught on day one - maybe that's relevant? With a 27" Inseam there's no way I can get it on or off the stand astride the bike...

Anything you can do to help lift with your legs is going to make it easier. I think that Miles Long's adaptation of adding a lifting handle is a very useful method.

I finally discovered the method that works best for me. The trick that works best for me, is to steady the bike with the handlebars straight, while I feel for both of the center stand legs to touch the ground evenly (very important). After that, I rock the bike back-and-forth, while lifting with my right hand placed on the grab rail and pushing down on the stand with my right foot. Getting enough inertia is the key. By the third rock backwards, there's usually enough inertia for me to get the bike on the stand with little effort. Bear in mind that I weigh in at 150 lbs and of average strength. If I can do it , anybody can.

get a large threaded Eye bolt as long as you can find and drill a hold in the ceiling of your garage where you want it.

Stick the eye bold in the hole.

Crawl up into the attic of your garage and find where it's sticking up.

Use 4x4 about 4 to 6 feet lumber on both sides of the eye bolt so that there is just enough space for the bold to go between the lumber. Bolt that stuff down and then but a bunch of fender washers and a nut on the eye bold and tigghten finger tight. Now put a lock washer and another nut on and tighten the crap out of that.

Watch "Lake Placid" Make a sling like the one they used to fly that cow around suspended from the helecopter.

Put that sling on your bike and connect it to a manual winch or "come-a-long"

Winch the bike up off the ground and then lower the center stand. Slowly drop the bike onto the floor.

Re: Easiest way to put it on the centrestand

Thanks for that guys , tried with left foot no joy but right foot did the business
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Could be because when using the right foot when facing your ride, your centre of gravity is closer to the bikes heaviest area, it's engine. If you use your left, while facing the bike your centre of gravity is a foot or more away from the engine.. Body placement and correct technique will always surpass brute strength. As we get older, our strength usually begins to disappear, while technique can improve till we die. Setting the stand down first till it touches than a crisp, commited movement will do.
This is the basis of Martial Arts such as TaiChi and Aikido.

-KarmaKatt-
VMOA 5652

Archimedes said "Give me a lever and a place to stand and I will move the earth."

Huffed and puffed the other day and walked away saying that thing is just to heavy. Watched the video and went out to give it a try, pop up on the stand easy as pie.

Before I got my VMax, I would muscle my Virago, sometimes going so far as to get a "running start".

That was 10 years ago while I was going through my idiot phase.

Now I am wiser...

Do this in a series of steps:

1) straighten the front wheel
2) grab the bike by the left handle bar and left side passenger grab handle
3) lean the bike so that it is vertical and balanced upright
4) with your right foot, step on the center stand foot peg and gently rock the bike toward you and away from you to ensure that both pads of the center stand are engaging the floor.
5) this is the only hard part- COMMIT to the move: put all your weight on your right foot, at the same time lift the back end of the bike with your right hand.
6) visualize that you are Hercules and enjoy the ride as your bike magically ends up on the center stand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bike is lowered (USD forks, 17" wheels, and shorter shocks) so it's a bear to get onto the stand. Having a UFO exhaust doesn't help because the regular center stand bolts don't fit, I have to use 3/8 bolts and there is a lot of slop in the setup.

I have a 2x8 with a cleat nailed on the end I use to load the dirt bike into my truck. I lay that on the floor and back the bike onto it. Makes putting the bike on the CS much easier.

Once on the board, left hand goes on the left grip, right hand goes under the grab rail, and I put all my weight on the CS foot. Push down with my foot and pull up with my arms and it pops up.

My bike is lowered (USD forks, 17" wheels, and shorter shocks) so it's a bear to get onto the stand. Having a UFO exhaust doesn't help because the regular center stand bolts don't fit, I have to use 3/8 bolts and there is a lot of slop in the setup.

I have a 2x8 with a cleat nailed on the end I use to load the dirt bike into my truck. I lay that on the floor and back the bike onto it. Makes putting the bike on the CS much easier.

Once on the board, left hand goes on the left grip, right hand goes under the grab rail, and I put all my weight on the CS foot. Push down with my foot and pull up with my arms and it pops up.

I've lowered my bike 1 1/2" front and rear, so that even with my lifting handle, getting it on the centerstand was a bitch.
So I resort to using a piece of 2x8, just like Mike does. Works great, and you have the added benefit of more room to work with, when removing the rear wheel.
I tried removing the stand alltogether, but soon put it back on. The little darling just comes in too handy, when doing maintenance. I did, however, cut off the leading tabs, to retain ground clearance.
Cheers!

Attachments

• retracted lifting handle.jpg
    retracted lifting handle.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 55
  • extended lifting handle.jpg
    extended lifting handle.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 56
Try backing the bike on to a flat 2x6 or more ,brings the bike up halfway closer ,then have your kid pull up on the rear grab bar, this bike is harder to get on the centerstand than the 900lb goldwing

Re: Easiest way to put it on the centrestand We live on a steep hill so I pointed the max uphill and let gravity assist me, yey ! Does anyone know how to get a max OFF the centrestand ???????????

Well, there was a guy with 1985 #103 (3rd bike made) that was running his bike on the centerstand and somehow rocked it enough where it proceeded to propel itself (and him) right off the stand and into a crash. I think he was so embarrassed by some of the guys here (and his dumb situation) that he left the group. IF you decide to try that method please get video evidence!

Latest posts

Back