Possible starter clutch problem?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constantinos

Reaction score
I tried starting the bike after a flat battery using a booster. I drove it until the battery charged and then when i tried starting it i heard a small knock from the starting clutch. The bike started ok and has been behaving ok for a couple of days. Should i start worrying for the starting clutch?

I tried starting the bike after a flat battery using a booster. I drove it until the battery charged and then when i tried starting it i heard a small knock from the starting clutch. The bike started ok and has been behaving ok for a couple of days. Should i start worrying for the starting clutch?

It could be that the starter clutch is starting to loosen up. If it comes back, and starts sounding like a Box-o'-Rocks, then you do have an issue that will be corrected. If the weather is good tomorrow, then I shall be opening up the engine cases to fix this same issue on my bike.

My starter clutch problem didn t even gave any warning sign.
Always started good and suddently, from a moment to the other, it just did not start the engine anymore. because of the three bolts loose.

Thing is that we checked the starter clutch 2 weeks ago and no bolts were loose...everything seemed ok. We changed the gasket at that point. I really hope that it is not the starter clutch. It seems that the bike spends more time in the garage being fixed for something than on the road. :bang head:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=35292

see if you can compare with my recent problem.

i have my for arround 5 months now and a nice bunch of problems to be fix, but hope this is only because of the previous owner and after i fix them, no more problems shall appear.
Because if it goes like this i will never be ablem t o make any changes on the look.

I watched your video and it seems like the engine is turning fine but darnnnnn....1000 euros for a new assembly? Not even in Cyprus de we see these prices. Despite your starter clutch though, i think you may have an electrical problem rather than the starter clutch.

Thing is that we checked the starter clutch 2 weeks ago and no bolts were loose...everything seemed ok. We changed the gasket at that point. I really hope that it is not the starter clutch. It seems that the bike spends more time in the garage being fixed for something than on the road. :bang head:

I'd suggest securing the 3 clutch bolts if the stator cover is removed for any reason. Loc-tite didn't work for me the first time. After replacing the clutch, I welded the bolts and milled the beads down flush. Peening, like Joe mentioned, works well too. Some high temp silicone sealer around the stator grommet/wires helps keep the oil in the case.

I'd suggest securing the 3 clutch bolts if the stator cover is removed for any reason. Loc-tite didn't work for me the first time. After replacing the clutch, I welded the bolts and milled the beads down flush. Peening, like Joe mentioned, works well too. Some high temp silicone sealer around the stator grommet/wires helps keep the oil in the case.

+1 on what Steve said and did. I would have a stator gasket on the way just in case. I haven't had this problem yet and will probably tack weld mine also if I ever do.

Latest posts

Back