Too Much Oil?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ga_max

Reaction score
I changed my oil and filter for the first time and I may have over filled it. I drained the oil, installed the new filter and added oil until it was about 3/4 the way to the top line. Started engine for a few minutes and checked for leaks. The let it sit for a few minutes and added additional oil to bring it back to the correct level. Went for a ride and all was well. Checked the level this morning with bike on center stand and all I see in the sight window is a bubble at the very top. Should I be worried ? If I need to remove oil, what is the best way to do it ? I knew everything went to well yesterday. Total oil added just under 4 quarts (Rotella T)

Thanks for your help.

Should be alright... its a little high but i dont think itll be a problem. I keep mine so it sits just under the top line cold and off. If you feel the need to, put a pan under the drain plug and loosen it up carefully so you can control the amount of oil coming out while watching the window. I know some people run it closer to the lower line, i never have.

Its fine i know some guys who just put all 4qts in and never had any issues even if you under fill it all you will notice is the oil light will come on more often when you roll into it.

Standard practice seems to be run it at the middle between the lines. Excess oil will pump up into the airbox through the vent tube if it's filled too high (I think). I believe there's another issue with extra oil, but my brain is fried right now from taking a final.

Well if its TOO full, it can cause windage problems. Basically the oil level is so high that the oil is whipped up by the movement of the crank, and that can cause HP loss as well.

I dont think to the top of the sight glass will do that (IE 4 quarts).

Latest posts

Back