coming apart piece by piece

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
keep the pics coming, I have stickied it. maybe move it to the engine subcategory as well.

started going back together today. First I put the front forks back on with new seals and oil. I painted the lower fork sections black and also the center piece below the headlight. I also polished the fork brace holding fender on. Touched up wheel nicks from installing new Shinko:eusa_dance:

Attachments

• DSC_0002[2].jpg
    DSC_0002[2].jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_0003[2].jpg
    DSC_0003[2].jpg
    65 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0004[2].jpg
    DSC_0004[2].jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_0005[1].jpg
    DSC_0005[1].jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0006[1].jpg
    DSC_0006[1].jpg
    71 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_0001[2].jpg
    DSC_0001[2].jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 73
just couldn't wait so I installed Morley's mid cut Muscle seat to get a quick look:biglaugh: then I installed new chrome vmax caps on brake and clutch resivors:eusa_dance:

Attachments

• DSC_0007[1].jpg
    DSC_0007[1].jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0008[1].jpg
    DSC_0008[1].jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0009[1].jpg
    DSC_0009[1].jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0010[1].jpg
    DSC_0010[1].jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0011[1].jpg
    DSC_0011[1].jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 66
Last for today I installed radiator,fan,and shroud freshly painted. Then covered max up ready for the 1300 Muscle coming soon:eusa_dance:

Attachments

• DSC_0013[2].jpg
    DSC_0013[2].jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0022[1].jpg
    DSC_0022[1].jpg
    52 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0021[1].jpg
    DSC_0021[1].jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0018[2].jpg
    DSC_0018[2].jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0018[1].jpg
    DSC_0018[1].jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0016[1].jpg
    DSC_0016[1].jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_0015[1].jpg
    DSC_0015[1].jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0014[1].jpg
    DSC_0014[1].jpg
    48 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0012[1].jpg
    DSC_0012[1].jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 63
Engine is fully assembled. Should be going for bead blasting tomorrow. Probably by end of the week will be at the painter and then sometime shortly after that will be ready for the chrome parts. Not much longer now!

Sean

Awesome!!!! Sean I left the original air setup on the forks for now. Just gonna leave out the air pressure. I plan to do the upgrade we talked about to better forks and brakes probably this winter anyways. Sounds good on the engine :) gonna repack the bearings and install the new seals in the swing arm today then switch back to the camaro for a few days

Must have been nice to be able to get the engine out so easily. I had a BITCH of a time on mine. Was almost worse getting it back in the back when all was said and done. I wish I had the money for the 1300 when I did mine....alas, the overdrive is DEFINITELY worth it!

Beware....if you're switching over to solid motor mounts, you're going to have to re-tighten everything on the bike at least twice. I've already lost a bar-end mirror, license plate screw, and had oil start leaking out of two bolts that worked their way loose.

Here is how I have my picker rigged up to handle the engine coming out and going in. Works like a charm:eusa_dance:
This will be my first rodeo with solid mounts but from what I hear it's the way to go

Attachments

• DSC_0003[1].jpg
    DSC_0003[1].jpg
    58 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_0004[1].jpg
    DSC_0004[1].jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC_0005[1].jpg
    DSC_0005[1].jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 106
This will be my first rodeo with solid mounts but from what I hear it's the way to go

I've almost been tempted to switch back to the rubber mounts. Although I'm sure once I get some BarSnake, I won't notice it at all.

Must have been nice to be able to get the engine out so easily. I had a BITCH of a time on mine. Was almost worse getting it back in the back when all was said and done. I wish I had the money for the 1300 when I did mine....alas, the overdrive is DEFINITELY worth it!

Beware....if you're switching over to solid motor mounts, you're going to have to re-tighten everything on the bike at least twice. I've already lost a bar-end mirror, license plate screw, and had oil start leaking out of two bolts that worked their way loose.

i wouldn't re do them given the chance. i lost a scoop screen screw and a couple others. including a knee guard screw. loctite is my new best friend. or lock washers. or lock nuts.

:punk: Hey, that is one nice shop you have there to work in. Very nice, Spur

thankya thankya but give it a week my son just got home from college lol I'm workin on him to keep it nice lol

:ummm:right below the top reflector on my radiator side cover should be another relfector?
Is this a sticker or an actual plastic reflector like the top?
how can I come up with that piece?

Attachments

• DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 66
I think we found another use for some of that money we saved you! Some fill that in and paint it (which looks good) but we have stainless inserts (both chromed and black chromed though I may have raw finish too). The oem insert was brushed chinese aluminum (looked like crap even new).

Sean

thats funny u said that lol I made the mistake of telling my wife the money I saved and she has already cut my budget back to compencate lol I will take a look at those inserts for sure if you have them in stock. Chromed is the only way to go lol

Thanks for documenting nd4topspd. I'm also doing a total tear down on my 85. I don't have the space to work on it like you do nor do I have the engine hoist or bike stand, so it will be interesting over the next few weeks. My bike has been in storage from 15 years and needs a ton of work. It's totally stock at the moment with zero mods so far. I still have to do a lot of reading here to see which mods I will be able to afford and which I'll have to leave out of my project. First order of business will be to tear it down and begin working on each section of the bike at a time. The main purpose top take the engine out is to blast, paint, and polish. The carbs need the most work. Anyone now where to buy carb parts cheap (slides with diaphragm, gaskets, etc)? Anyway, I don't want to hi-jack this excellent thread with my project and probably silly questions. I'll start another thread later and hope to tap into some the great people over here.

Latest posts

Back