85 vmax knocking

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randy.king

Reaction score
hey guys just got a 85 vmax with 5000 miles on it. it hadn't been ran in years. got it running and I beleave it has a rod knocking. is it worth fixing with such low miles? or should I look for a used motor?

Have you been able to drive it down the road. Check to see if 2nd gear is intact. Also, These motors are very noisey. Is it a slight sound or obvious knock.

yes I rode it. all the gears feel real good. it started as a light tapping. but got pretty loud b4 I got it back home.

If everything else is great....I would say rebuild it if you can.

A good "used" engine can go for 800-1000 dollars, so that is an option as well.

If the bike is that clean It's worth a motor. a good source might be Sean Morley One2dmax on this forum. Post a pic if you can. There's also a thread here on the earliest Max. What's the vin number.

Yep, a good used engine is not that bad. Maybe you could post some pics of your 85 find..........

Its a good looking bike....and I think that its worth putting the time and money into.

The engine will not be worth rebuilding normally if it's a spun bearing. I can sell you a variety of choices depending on your budget and if you want to move over parts like your heads/cams and covers (and trans). Basically sell you a good short block with crank, rods, pistons and block with all the gaskets needed to move your stuff over. I'd say to get that engine out first or at least pull off some oil and have it analized to see if it's going out. You can pull the exhaust and then the pan while the engine is still in the chassis. This will tell you a lot about what's going on in there.

Latest posts

Back