1300 winter project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something that would be street level for everyday use and prob premium gas level, if you do I will call or email you

12.5:1 or so is around the most i'd go though i've done as high as 13:1.

Sean

Still picking parts for the project. I think I am going with high compression pistons and now am wondering the pros and cons of using ported and polished heads on a street everyday driver. I am going with Seans jet kit and it will have the hindle completion plus old style exhaust on it. just looking for input on the heads.

Still picking parts for the project. I think I am going with high compression pistons and now am wondering the pros and cons of using ported and polished heads on a street everyday driver. I am going with Seans jet kit and it will have the hindle completion plus old style exhaust on it. just looking for input on the heads.

I wouldn't do any engine without port matching. There is lots to clean up as far as casting flaws too. To have the heads professionally ported and polished? I don't see the value for the street. I talked to Dale Walker not to long ago. He wasn't even interested in doing a vmax head set. It would be super expensive he said. He did give some great tips though. Not changing the port shape yourself was one.
Steve-o

I'm doing the same Venture project, but on a very tight budget. Not even a spin on filter adapter for this engine.
A Morley Oil pump upgrade is high on my list with aftermarket head studs. Vmax head assemblies of course. The best thickness head gasket P/V clearance safely allows, will be ordered. 11.5 to 1 compression is the target. No V-boost will be used. The stage 7 carbs are redone and ready to go on. If I have to buy pistons, it can't stop there, and the project won't be happening this winter. But, the compression is very good, so hopefully all should be a go. Labor is the major investment on this project.
If time allows, I've been saving a Vmax transmission, but the idea is to not have to split the cases. I know some members here that are going to be getting a lot of e-mails and pm's...
Steve-o

A set of fully-modified heads, Suzuki buckets & bigger valves, porting, bigger pistons, higher compression, etc. Not for the budget-minded. machining done by Mike of MJ Performance, http://www.mjperformance.net/ assembly by Steve of Under Pressure, Dania Beach FL.

Good luck w/your project, we all like pics, lots of pics!

I wouldn't do any engine without port matching. There is lots to clean up as far as casting flaws too. To have the heads professionally ported and polished? I don't see the value for the street. I talked to Dale Walker not to long ago. He wasn't even interested in doing a vmax head set. It would be super expensive he said. He did give some great tips though. Not changing the port shape yourself was one.
Steve-o

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 87
My .02...
For what it would cost for you to have the heads ported and polished, you could have the block decked and maybe even the heads milled. There are other advantages to decking the block besides increasing compression. Over the years I have always decked the blocks and shaved the heads so everything is flat and straight. Also I think you should be thinking about what kind of power you want. Head work increases HP, but not until you get to higher RPMs. In fact most port jobs hurt low speed performance. High compression is the opposite. High compression increases low end grunt, but actually limits your high RPM performance. I assume you are building this to drive on the street and low and mid range is where the fun is on the street.

For low RPM performance there is no sub for cubic inches. I'd get on the phone with Sean for a bit and see how you can get the most CCs for your dollars. Don't worry about the compression number (except to keep them from going TOO HIGH) You are going to have less then a 100mile range and you have to be able to get gas the bike will run on. I had a 560 '69 Camero that was build. I found that not all "premium" was the same and kept a couple of cans of octane buster in the trunk when the engine started to knock on unknown "Premium"

Duh, I didn't even notice the piston lol. The larger piston has the newer Y26 rods. Supposedly more desirable.

I picked up a set of heads that have been professionally ported and polished so the intake flows 124 cfm. the exhaust flows 104.The heads also have a full radius serdi valve job. They were supper cheap so I will see what they look like when I get them. Don't have much to take pictures of yet but when I get started I will post. Just in the planning and acquiring stage yet. Ya I think at some point here I need to have a phone conversation with Sean. On a budget to so I need to get the most bang for the buck in what I am doing.

Duh, I didn't even notice the piston lol. The larger piston has the newer Y26 rods. Supposedly more desirable.

Yep, showing the increase in displacement vis-à-vis the stocker. I thought you would notice the much-bigger upper-block work for the cylinders where those (bigger set of) pistons go.

Well last winters project ended up being this winter project. Hunted and scrounged for parts all last winter and the the summer. So its coming along with this update.

Using a 86 vmax frame with a 2000 venture swing arm with a venture final drive that had the shock bolt hole in it already, yes the swingarm fits fits and is 1 1/2 longer and way stronger because of the mono shock that was on it. I had to make bushings for the swing arm bolts as the venture has heavier bearings with bigger bolts, so I kept the venture bearings in the swingarm. Its wider to so looks like it doesn't have to be notched. I need to weld the right shock bolt on and will be mounting progressive shocks on the rear and progressive springs in the front forks.

Building a 1300 venture motor with high compression ross pistons, max speed I beam rods and venture crankshaft that have been balanced by a local engine builder. ARP head bolts, heads have been ported and polished professionally and the valves have been done on a serti valve machine by JR,s out of Florida, valves springs have been changed out also with kibble white springs. Mains in the block have been drilled per Seans instructions. It has the Morely HD oil kit and will have his jet kit with the modified air box. Thanks Sean for all the parts and help! It will also be sporting and ignitech TCI, thanks Dingy!

It will have the old style Hingle exhaust if I can get it to fit with all the mods. Also frame braces will be added before the frame is powder coated. Gas tank will get red coated after a good cleaing.

.Transmission was undercut by APE. I kept the vmax gears, and updated the shifter segment. R1 front wheel that has the disc brake boss machinged down so it fits in the front forks with brake pots, and Kossman vmax rear wheel and radial tires front and rear. Bussa pots on the front for brakes and again using Seans brackets to mount them. That's what I have going now and more to come.

I think I will name it the money pit :rofl_200:

Well last winters project ended up being this winter project. Hunted and scrounged for parts all last winter and the the summer. So its coming along with this update.

Using a 96 vmax frame with a 2000 venture swing arm with a venture final drive that had the shock bolt hole in it already, yes the swingarm fits fits and is 1 1/2 longer and way stronger because of the mono shock that was on it. I had to make bushings for the swing arm bolts as the venture has heavier bearings with bigger bolts, so I kept the venture bearings in the swingarm. Its wider to so looks like it doesn't have to be notched. I need to weld the right shock bolt on and will be mounting progressive shocks on the rear and progressive springs in the front forks.

Building a 1300 venture motor with high compression ross pistons, max speed I beam rods and venture crankshaft that have been balanced by a local engine builder. Heads have been ported and polished professionally and the valves have been done on a serti valve machine by JR,s out of Florida, valves springs have been changed out also with kibble white springs. Mains in the block have been drilled per Seans instructions. It has the Morely HD oil kit and will have his jet kit with the modified air box. Thanks Sean for all the parts and help! It will also be sporting and ignitech TCI.

It will have the old style Hingle exhaust if I can get it to fit with all the mods. Also frame braces will be added before the frame is powder coated. Gas tank will get red coated after a good cleaing.

.Transmission was undercut by APE. I kept the vmax gears, and updated the shifter segment. R1 front wheel that has the disc brake boss machinged down so it fits in the front forks with brake pots, and Kossman vmax rear wheel and radial tires front and rear. Bussa pots on the front for brakes and again using Seans brackets to mount them. That's what I have going now and more to come.

I think I will name it the money pit :rofl_200:

It sounds incredible though!!! Cant wait for it to be on the road and for you to post pics.

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

just a few pics of the assembly process, still working on the rear brake, shoud I stay with the stock caliper of work on using the venture caliper and bigger rotor.....hmmmmm

I do not think there is any big advantage to going to a bigger rear rotor. Grippier pads should do what you want. Long wheelbase bikes do make more use of the rear brake than the short wheelbase sportbikes, as they have less forward weight transfer. A change in pad composition should be effective for your needs.

There you go! LOL, talked me into staying with the vmax brake system, it's an easy mod to keep it, the other a problem. Thanks

So far so good. The arm can still benefit from triangulation but I like it so far!

Sean

Latest posts

Back