Save money buying OEM parts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellboy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've noticed that on all three websites that I buy my OEM parts from that if you check the same part on several different, but compatible years that the price can vary greatly for the same thing from the same place. Here is one example. The left side scoop for an 88 is $404.00 and for a 2000 it's only $234.00 same exact thing. same website. $203.00 for an 88 side cover and $96.00 for the 2000.On the same site the faux tank cover is slightly more for the 2000, go figure.
I've noticed this on most parts so be sure to check every part you order with several model years for the best price. Hope this helps someone else save some precious bucks.

Matt

I'll bet they're different because of the different paint schemes on those parts. I'd imagine the black/grey scoops and red/grey side covers are in shorter supply than the newer color combos.

Yep, I bet that's it.

I'll bet they're different because of the different paint schemes on those parts. I'd imagine the black/grey scoops and red/grey side covers are in shorter supply than the newer color combos.

Exactly, The part may physically swap over but if you were trying to get a specific color (like the 88 you mentioned) then you'd have the wrong color by getting the cheaper newer part. The 06/07 side covers are black and probably even cheaper. So, if you just want a good cover then just get it used if you're going to paint it anyway.

You will also see some parts shown as discontinued (like say an 85 faux tank cover) though any year will fit. Again it's because of the color difference and that they ran out of them years ago.

Sean

Gen 2 parts are a lot cheaper.....just saying, kinda weird.

The OEM's are only required to provide repair parts for 10 years. So, they tend to make an approx guess when they do a run of parts and then that's the parts available. The price goes up as the qty is reduced since they aren't made anymore and one way to help say they are providing parts for the required timeframe. Plus, this helps convince customers to simply buy new instead of repairing the old ones.

Sean

The OEM's are only required to provide repair parts for 10 years. So, they tend to make an approx guess when they do a run of parts and then that's the parts available. The price goes up as the qty is reduced since they aren't made anymore and one way to help say they are providing parts for the required timeframe. Plus, this helps convince customers to simply buy new instead of repairing the old ones.

Sean

So were the prices actually significantly cheaper say 7 or 8 years ago?

If only there was a good source for quality used parts!

LOL.....:biglaugh:

Yes, the 2007 front and rear fender are now about double the cost they were even say 3-4 years ago.

Sean

I was just trying to help out a few people like myself. I don't know too many of us who don't paint there bikes anyway. Even if you want the same color it can be hard to match old paint. I'd challenge anyone here to find an as new set of front and rear fenders of any color second hand for $268.00. Even if you came close, I'd pay slightly extra myself to get a factory new set. That is for the 2007 model, if you want the 1999 you'll pay $480.00.
I'm not saying I don't buy used bits and that you shouldn't, or that this is some kind of rip off. I'm just passing on what I thought some might benefit from, that's all. The last Fender I bought used that was "perfect"actually had a crack underneath where the rear mounting bolts secure to, not happy.

Matt

For sure use the 2007 for most normal parts since they will be cheaper. But like the scoops and side covers. The cosmetics are completely different then many other years so be prepared to do some painting work to get it to the desired effect.

Gaskets, bearings, and all the normal stuff this is the best method.

Back