What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered tires and Dyna beads for my Carrs so they can end their year long wait and finally get mounted!

Cracker, have you thought about getting a pair of exactreps frame covers that fill the gap behind the engine?

Adam that was very cool & generous of you offering me your engine frame covers, they came in today. I've also have done this for a few members too. That is one of the reasons this forum does so well, is because of members like you. Thank you very much & I really appreciate it. I will post pic when Installed.

Attachments

• 20150122_175115.jpg
    20150122_175115.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 20150122_175056.jpg
    20150122_175056.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 42
Stripped down the rest of a donor engine today. Crank junk as usual, pistons worn beyond use, but someone put a new oil pump in her before she started knocking,or afteter. And, a newer style segment my 89 is needing. Cases still useable for future projects. Worth all the cost of a 35 mile ride and 1\2 labor.And, that orange o-ring was a bulging.

Adam that was very cool & generous of you offering me your engine frame covers, they came in today. I've also have done this for a few members too. That is one of the reasons this forum does so well, is because of members like you. Thank you very much & I really appreciate it. I will post pic when Installed.
Those things are really making the rounds.

Well, i couldnt use em with those rearsets and they kinda match Larrys radiator covers.... lol. Maybe now theyll have a home, lol. And we all know one good turn deserves another! :eusa_dance:

Took my front tire off to check the speedo hub, well hub was full of rusty crud as I suspected but I noticed two things on this 85 I bought last fall, both tires are fairly good Metzler 880 ' but they were both made in 4509, that's late 2009, and the front wheel bearings are original that are open, not like the modern sealed bearings. I could clean and pack b them but All balls bearings are cheap.

So I am ordering new bearings and after my bills are paid I'm going with a set of Shinko 230 Tourmaster tires, I have them on my 89 Yamaha Venture Royale and I can attest how well those tires ride in adverse weather, very good.

Then I went tool crazy, earlier this week I brought home my massive Snap On top tool chest from work and brought it into the bike work room, I left the company of 19 years and kept putting off bringing it home, security was kinda lax lately, so I spent about 4 hours this morning dunking every single socket I have in my ultrasonic cleaner and then drying and oiling, especially the swivel sockets.
It's just a small one big enough f or most jobs but I really want one that bis heated and big enough to dunk a complete carburetor in it.
I cleaned t he speedo hub and repacked it with grease, put tire back on for now.

Got my tires for my Carrs today! Mounted the back one after work, no tools, just my two hands, arubber mat and a lil spit, lol. Id say im all that is man, but i didnt have the energy to do the front one tonight, lol. Guess a 13hr day will do that to ya, lol. Not worried about balancing as im going to be using dyna beads. Heard nothing but good things from my friends that have used em so i figured id check em out.

Attachments

• CAM00139.jpg
    CAM00139.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 31
  • CAM00140.jpg
    CAM00140.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 32
Got my tires for my Carrs today! Mounted the back one after work, no tools, just my two hands, a rubber mat and a lil spit, lol. Id say im all that is man, but i didnt have the energy to do the front one tonight, lol. Guess a 13hr day will do that to ya, lol. Not worried about balancing as im going to be using dyna beads. Heard nothing but good things from my friends that have used em so i figured id check em out.

Wish you had gotten someone to film that, Adam.
I have trouble with bicycle tires.
Do you crush coconuts for a living?
Cheers!
p.s. - If we ever meet in person, don't be offended if I don't want to shake your hand.:rofl_200:

Wish you had gotten someone to film that Adam.
p.s. - If we ever meet in person, don't be offended if I don't want to shake your hand.:rofl_200:

Its woulndt have been that entertaing, just lots of me turning red in the face and swearing, lol. Dont worry about that handshake Miles, my grip isnt that crushing... when used against others, lol.

Got my tires for my Carrs today! Mounted the back one after work, no tools, just my two hands, arubber mat and a lil spit, lol. Id say im all that is man, but i didnt have the energy to do the front one tonight, lol. Guess a 13hr day will do that to ya, lol. Not worried about balancing as im going to be using dyna beads. Heard nothing but good things from my friends that have used em so i figured id check em out.
Nice job of installing them yourself! They look great, and I hope you have the same luck putting on the front. You're going to love how the Vmax handles now, even if it seems to turn in too quickly, that will go away soon enough!
I was sweating bullets when I took my wheels and tires in the first time. The shop mechanic let me help even, and then only charged me $20 for doing it! I'm sure I won't be that lucky this year when I put on a new rear!

I would recommend to EVERYONE to reassess stuff every so often.

In 2013, I started upgrading the suspension on the Vmax. I went with progressive springs....and preload adjusters. I still had stock rear shocks.....set at 3. The preload adjusters were adjusted to probably around half an inch and the progressive springs are an inch lower.

It was a little bit harsh.....but WAY better than stock.

Then....I got a GREAT deal on some 418's that had maybe 50 miles on them.

One downside......at Eureka Springs....ran into 2 turns that had a series of bumps...that with the suspension that stiff, it was like hitting a washboard. NOT GOOD in a turn. Rest of the ride was great.

So....2 months ago lucked into some 444's. After putting them on....the ride was soother....but harsh at the same time.

This afternoon, I brought the preload adjusters all the way in. That made for a prefect ride. Where I live, the roads arent great, but with the progressive springs, and the preload adjusters all the way in....HUGE improvement. The best turns that I have around here, are coming on and off the interstate. I was still getting a little bit of a wobble coming out of a turn....even leaning into the turn with my body weight. So I went oldschool, and dropped the front forks 1/2 an inch. That is GREAT.......for now. Of course.....if I change the handlebars....it will be time to reassess again.

I also brought in the Can on the kerker 4-1.....so it didnt stick out as far. All in all a good day.

Attachments

• P1000241.jpg
    P1000241.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 30
  • P1000242.jpg
    P1000242.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 29
  • P1000243.jpg
    P1000243.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 28
  • P1000244.jpg
    P1000244.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 28
  • P1000245.jpg
    P1000245.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 29
  • P1000246.jpg
    P1000246.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 31
I came from the sportbike world so im used to fast turn in. I got half of the front tire on earlier today... total pain in the ass!!!! Well, hands and upper body but you get the drift, lol. Next time ill let my local shop do the front, lol. I cant wait for warm weather to experience the difference! And if anyones curious, yes my stock rims will be coming up for sale at an attractive price with good rubber on them. The only thing is though, i dont want to ship them. Ill meet anyone within a hundred miles or reasonably close to that though. Ill post em up after theyre off and cleaned up.

Pulled the Max out of the corner of the garage and put it on the lift.

First, started cleaning it, as I didn't do that when I put it away at the end of last season.

Now making a list of the maintenance and upgrades to do this winter.

Dawn this thing was dirty.

Mike

I did it!!! Damn near WRECKED my hands and upper body but I DID IT!!! NEVER again will i mount a front tire without tools!!! Now if only i had remembered to get brake parts cleaner for my rotor buttons....

Attachments

• CAM00142.jpg
    CAM00142.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 22
Did you have your wheels anodized? Or have your rotor carriers not anodized black? Mine wheels and carriers are all the same color, just curious.
Great job on the front wheel, that must have been a bitch (probably an understatement!) to do! Kudos!
Look up the zip tie tire change
I've watched the youtube on that method, it really helps keep the bead in the center of the wheel for max clearance.

Wish id have seen that earlier, lol. The wheels are anodised Redbone, but the rotors are the stock 98 pieces. Theyre in quite good shape still so im not gonna worry about changing anything on em other than a good cleaning. Down the road ill get some different ones, probably black carriers and purple buttons.

Yesterday I pulled 4 of the 6 solid engine mounts to put the stock back. I will change the last two if the engine viberation is still killing my wrists. I also pulled the UFO Drag/ slash cut tail pipe off to put on a UFO Meaphone( I have both a 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 end piece) I need to make sure it isn't blowing my ear drum out going down the highway even with earplugs. I still have to get some exhaust permitex to fix leak. I just hate how big a pain in the ass it is to get to the inside bolts for the rear headers... Crappy design. I am waiting for a buddy to finish the CNC fab of a new Plexiglas air box cover for using a auto filter. Still need to order the jet kit. I plan on giving it a spring cleaning soon also. Just kinda a pain doing it in a small shed. Gotta get the bike read for Rolling Thunder and Thunder in the Valley. Also need to adjust valves unless we could use my bike for Tech on how to there...lol hint hint hint....

Latest posts

Back