Harley Davidson History

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They forgot to mention that over 75% of every Harley ever made, is still out there on the road today! Remarkable!

The other 25% made it home!!

They forgot to mention that over 75% of every Harley ever made, is still out there on the road today! Remarkable!

The other 25% made it home!!

Not too sure where you come up with your stats Mark - I read somewhere it's closer to an 85/15 % split, with only 15% making it back home. :biglaugh:

With all due respect though, prolly 75% of them ever built are still cherished and kept running by someone. Used and aftermarket parts availability is phenominmal, why is that? Sorry to say but Harleys, unlike jap bikes, never get sold for scrap.

Harleys are a lot better than they used-to be, and that goes-back to the birth of the Evolution engine-bikes. Before that, they were a motorcycle in the traditional sense, you can run it, but you have to do maintenance on them to get continuous use out of 'em. Then-again, that goes for almost any rolling stock, but modern stuff needs maintenance and repairs less-frequently these days. We do have it good, now.

Attachments

• 1996 FLSTN left.jpg
    1996 FLSTN left.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 27
With all due respect though, prolly 75% of them ever built are still cherished and kept running by someone. Used and aftermarket parts availability is phenominmal, why is that? Sorry to say but Harleys, unlike jap bikes, never get sold for scrap.

Dat be da trut , Ah gahrontee...:punk:

The picture with the Chicago Police dept was the my Dad bought me when I was about 10, so that was my 1st bike. I just rode it around the neighbor hood, I was too tired to go any further after 30 attempt's of kick starting it.

I love my vmax and own a 82 Harley shovelhead FXR it's a great bike, Most problems I have seen are due to owner ability to fix things correctly or no repairs at all , sound familiar? I enjoy the old iron lots of character.

Harley taught Yamaha how to make motorcycles after WW II. I own a Harley,
It runs great but Harley Davidson as a company Completely SUCKS A BIG ONE..
I'll never own another, I buy only Yamaha now........

Alaska is very much Harley, not so much for sport bikes, I have only seen 4 vmax bikes up here and two of them are mine, after that you do have a small gathering of Goldwings. And when you go to Craigslist Its nothing but Harley Davidson and dirt bikes. I don't want to be the same as others, even my Goldwings all have been modded so they have unique features.
Would I own one?

Not likely as I have seen some of the best of Honda and Yamaha like the Goldwing, the older Ventures and the Vmax. My next new bike is probably going to be a coin toss between an Indian Roadmaster or a new loaded GL1800.

Back