Historic plates in MD?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalArts

Reaction score
The lady at the MVA said that they strictly only allow historic plates on bikes that only travel to events, along with weekends and holidays...

Now, with that said, I grabbed historic plates to ride to school daily. My question is how big of a deal is it?

My dad and popop assured me that it's not a big deal, but is it really? They stole 188 dollars for title ownership fee and 2 year registration so I'm hoping it's not a big deal - I was hoping to make it out of there with under 75 in fees...

Antique Plates

The MVA offers two types of unique plates for older vehicles:

Historic plates are for vehicles that are at least 20 years old that haven't undergone major alterations from their original design. Additionally, the vehicle must only be used for activities such as antique exhibitions and parades, and not for daily driving. These plates cost $51

Should a vehicle be 60 years old or older, it is eligible for a permanent, non-transferable registration for a one-time fee.

Street rod plates are for vehicles that are at least 25 years old that have been significantly altered from the vehicle's original specifications. Also, the vehicle must only be used for activities such as antique exhibitions and parades, and not for routine driving. These plates cost $51.

I'd say it could be a big ticket deal if ever a uniformed officer in the state of MD ever decided to question you. aka: It's against the law, but will the police ever notice, or even want to notice?

I ran antique plats all over in Texas & Florida. They did not pay any attention. You would have to see the same cop every day & he would have to be a real prick to stop you just for that.

My wife got let off with a warning when she took her AV plated 69 Karmann Ghia convertible to work one morning in Chicago. Is it worth the aggravation ? I'd say not.

Chris.

Ditto what Captain already said. My wife drove her 72 Beetle Convertible in Florida for years on Ohio historical plates. With these they put similar restrictions and it is a one time fee. Reasonable by the way. Car is gone but we still have the plate.
We never had an issue. I suggest not to stop at the same Donut Shop every morning but my guy feeling is you will be fine.

Also I would highly recommend trying not to be noticed :biglaugh:!!:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Let's not pretend that's an easy task with a full exhaust system xD sometimes my gf plugs her ears in the house while it warms up :eusa_dance:

Good tips on not being too routine about things, I think I'll be fine with that said :punk:

Guess I've always been blessed by NOT living in a larger urban area where the cops are too plentiful. Around my riding grounds, you tend to see the same cops every day. But that's not saying they'd be paying too much attention to the little license plate details either...

They don't know where your going either. There are so many different little rules like your allowed to take them to shows, drive to the shop, drive on weekends, events etc. If I get stopped I am headed to the shop or an event. Who is to say my work is not having a classic car or bike day or im not headed direct to the shop after work.

Back