I think this is a problem....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalArts

Reaction score
As some may know I was having trouble getting my Vgas carbs to rev above Idle, I since have run close to a tank worth of gas with seafoam treatment and they seem to rev above idle consistently so long as there is no load (commonly stalls with clutch half released still)

Either way, I got her going downhill and let out the clutch, then rode her around the neighborhood. Then I noticed this...

(It's a whole album, not just one pic if that's how it looks)

https://imgur.com/a/WqPaX

As you may be able to see, the battery is under my Faux tank (which I'm fine with) and there is what appears to be a fuel filter (no clue) next to it, that is spitting out little drops of liquid and smoking....

I feel like what appears to be a fuel filter should not be leaking fuel onto my battery and smoking, but I mean that's just my ignorant opinion, could someone enlighten me?

Holy crap!!!!

That is so F'd up on so many levels!!!!

Car battery sitting directly on top of carbs..... No air filter....... Potential fire hazard......,OMG!!!!!

I wouldn't ride that bike til I got it all sorted out!

If you don't know how it goes back to stock we can help you.

LOL yea I saw it and I was like... whoever thought this up probably got picked off by Darwin by now.

ANYWAY, I need it for transportation so unless I do a swap with Sean or another member and can sort it out in one weekend day I'm probably going to keep the Vgas FCR set up.

With that said, pluhz tell me how to not catch on fire and die xD

I have a feeling something can be corrected to make this semi safe. The battery will have a mount fashioned so the weight isn't loose and whatever that thing is spitting liquid out needs to be moved or dealt with some other way I'd imagine

And that "filter" is a makeshift crankcase breather outlet, the steam is essentialy cylinder blow-by gases with some oil mist

That filter is a crankcase breather. Its spitting oil out. Im with whats been stated above, id park it and get things sorted out before any more riding!

That filter is a crankcase breather. Its spitting oil out. Im with whats been stated above, id park it and get things sorted out before any more riding!

But how do I sort it out in an easy manner? :confused2:

I finally got her to get past idle and I want to warm her up and flog her :bang head:

OMG!

That's a lawn mower battery, and must weigh - what? - a ton, maybe a ton and a half?

If you swap out those Vgas carbs and go back with stock, or Morley's Muscle carb setup, I think you are going to have to restore the factory air box setup, and relocate a battery to back under the seat where it belongs.

PRO: you surely have enough CCA's to spin that puppy over, a bunch, when it's being fussy and not wanting to start right away.

Just looked it up, it's legit a $25 lawnmower battery... That might explain why it will crank for days but cranks at the speed of a snail -.-

Just looked it up, it's legit a $25 lawnmower battery... That might explain why it will crank for days but cranks at the speed of a snail -.-

Well, it's for sure a lawn mower battery, and prolly fairly cheap most everywhere, but if it is in good shape, it would be cranking that starter every bit as fast as any mc specific battery ever could. If you are also experiencing slow speed cranking, you have even more "issues" that may need dealt with in the upcoming days/weeks.

Might need a new starter. The battery as Jim mentioned is got far more power then the stock battery (or even most upgrades). We could sell you a lithium ION battery that is a lot smaller and have close to the same power.

What's back where the original battery went? Under the seat.

As much cobbling as has been done you may want to consider cleaning some of that up.

Might need a new starter. The battery as Jim mentioned is got far more power then the stock battery (or even most upgrades). We could sell you a lithium ION battery that is a lot smaller and have close to the same power.

What's back where the original battery went? Under the seat.

As much cobbling as has been done you may want to consider cleaning some of that up.

Figures lol, how much is a starter? It turns the bike over well enough to start it but if the bike backfires while turning over it makes a spinning-while-not-engaging type sound.

The original battery tray under the seat is just empty lol. And I want to but I don't want to mess anything up - I'll take a hose to it sometime this week.

Sorry to sound negative mate but that's a complete abortion imo. IF YOU MUST leave the battery there (though lord knows why you would) you need to relocate that breather and clean up those terminals and connections on the battery.

Chris.

If it's working i'd just leave the starter/battery for now. BUT, it sounds like you may need to fix/repair/upgrade the starter clutch if it lets loose (typically can sound like a box of rocks rolling around in there when they start going bad).

Sean

If it's working i'd just leave the starter/battery for now. BUT, it sounds like you may need to fix/repair/upgrade the starter clutch if it lets loose (typically can sound like a box of rocks rolling around in there when they start going bad).

Sean

That's exatly what it sounds like, but it holds strong until the motor backfires.

Sounds like I should clean everything up in the area either way. At least I know the oil coming out of the filter isn't flammable now :eusa_dance:

Also!!! If anyone could please confirm my theory:

Bike idles very well once it's warm, but if I hold the throttle at 1.4k (won't get past 1.5k without feathering in any gear but neutral) the left rear carb spits every couple seconds and that's when the bike bogs down.

I did a test on a hill (going up) and it makes more power at idle than 1.4k rpm with the clutch half out, in fact it almost stalls everytime that carb spits.

My theory is that Left/Rear carb in question has a clogged piolet/low end jet. Is this the case or is it something else?

That's exatly what it sounds like, but it holds strong until the motor backfires.

Sounds like I should clean everything up in the area either way. At least I know the oil coming out of the filter isn't flammable now :eusa_dance:

Are you really that "green" when it comes to this stuff? Since when is oil not flammable? Heck, mix it with some acid fumes, and you might be sitting on a 1/4 stick of TNT. :ummm:

Seriously, I think you'll be OK in the short term though - as long as those battery terminals/connections remain firmly connected and no sparks allowed to jump around in there. I would, at the very least, try to fashion some sort of shield partially around that crankcase vent so that it deflects any more blow by away from the top of that battery.

Are you really that "green" when it comes to this stuff? Since when is oil not flammable? Heck, mix it with some acid fumes, and you might be sitting on a 1/4 stick of TNT. :ummm:

Seriously, I think you'll be OK in the short term though - as long as those battery terminals/connections remain firmly connected and no sparks allowed to jump around in there. I would, at the very least, try to fashion some sort of shield partially around that crankcase vent so that it deflects any more blow by away from the top of that battery.

I was emailing Sean and he or someone else using his email said that it wouldn't catch on fire - my initial inclination was "this is obviously going to catch fire" but if Sean says it won't then I'm inclined to believe him haha

But yea you're right, what would be a good material to fashion a shield out of? I don't particularly want that liquid running down the motor etc either

Also!!! If anyone could please confirm my theory:

Bike idles very well once it's warm, but if I hold the throttle at 1.4k (won't get past 1.5k without feathering in any gear but neutral) the left rear carb spits every couple seconds and that's when the bike bogs down.

I did a test on a hill (going up) and it makes more power at idle than 1.4k rpm with the clutch half out, in fact it almost stalls everytime that carb spits.

My theory is that Left/Rear carb in question has a clogged piolet/low end jet. Is this the case or is it something else?

Building off this, could it also be a valve issue? If so can anyone tell me what/how to adjust them?

Back