Octane question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDIMD

Reaction score
I filled my tank up with Shell 95 octane. I went for s ride but whenever tried to go above 4500 rpm, the bike would bog down. After running the bike dry, filled up with 93 octane and ran fine. Then refilled with 91 oct and didnt run as well but no bogging down.

Did i get a tank of bad gas with the 95 octane is bike very picky on fuel?

All stations were different and i think have high turmover. 10% ethanol.

1994 vmax with morley jet kit.

How does it run on just plain 87 octane? Thats what the Vmax was built to run on.

i ODD'S ARE , YOU JUST GOT A BAD TANK OF FUEL ! ............ASK ANYONE ON THIS FORUM THAT KNOWS ME , I ONLY RUN 100 OCTANE AVIATION FUEL IN MY MAX , AND CAN KEEP THE OIL LIGHT ON IN THE FIRST 3 GEARS ! :punk: ... .......... . . I ALSO ADD 2 OUNCES OF MARVEL MYSTERY OIL AND 2 OUNCES OF 2 STROKE MIXING OIL TO EVERY 5 GALLONS OF AVIATION FUEL ! :punk: .... P.S. , I ALSO HAVE A HONDA MAGNA THAT LIVES ON THE SAME FUEL !

I've tried all variations when I got my 91 2 years ago. No difference other than cost, so I now use what's recommended in the manual, 87 regular.
Granted, you might have better brands than others. I had a bad experience with Enzite fuel station. I think they pumped a bunch of plastic particles on my tank which clogged up my filter. Cost me 170.00 to get it towed back home. Been using BP ever since.

I have ran 98 octane 93 and 91 and don't notice much, if any difference in the way it runs. I now usually use the 91 because it not only cost much less, but my bike starts much, much easier after sitting for a while, no question. I've since been told that the higher the octane the more additives, which "go off" just sitting in carburettor. I don't know if it's true, seems to be though. I haven't had to drain my carbs or clean plugs to get it started for months now. On the 98 Quite often I'd go to start it and it just wouldn't fire up until I did both of those things.

Matt

I used to run 93 octane but now stick with 87. I will say that it seems to run better on 87.

They actually dont sell 87 octane in the philippines. But will try whatever lowest octane they have.

I've always run 87 octane and then use some seafoam once in awhile to clear out the carbs good. I also use chevron fuel additive now and then too for keeping the carbs all cleaned out. I still perform the shotgun each season when I sync my carbs to always assure all is running optimal.

Ride safe!

Latest posts

Back