Advice on buying my first Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Curtis, welcome to the forums :) I just mapped out a rough route from your location to approx where Chopcor is located and it's only a little over 300 miles by road with a drive time of 5 or so hours. Could you beg, steal or borrow a trailer or pick up truck to get down there ? With an early start you could be home with your new bike in time for dinner and you will have saved a nice chunk of change. I can't pretend to know much about registering the bike in Canada but with a well written bill of sale and an inspection at your DMV you should me home and dry. http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Mississauga&2c=Pittsburgh&2s=PA#d495176d18918212b7f1e981

Chris.

My brother has an 87 Max with an older Corbin seat from back then. The vinyl has become rather "rock hard" but the foam was always stiff from the factory. The petrol filler cap is accessed through a vinyl patch on this old Corbin. He is using the Yamaha OEM backrest with his. I find it doesn't really match the Corbin well BUT, he can carry a bit more than I with spider bungies.
I too bought my Corbin a couple of years back for my 06. It too is stiffer foam than the "plush" feel of the stock factory. I bought the Corbin integrated tombstone backrest at the same time. I find it looks much better than the factory Yamaha backrest. I can pull the backrest on it in a matter of a minute if I like sans-back.
The difference of factory seat or Corbin is that the Corbin supports the inner thighs and wider pan of your ass much like if you were sitting on chair. Unlike the factory which has more curved slopes following your thighs and legs as if you were standing. I find this puts more of your weight on your tail bone and the sparce meat in there so to speak. Shorter riders will probably like the factory since it allows them to reach the ground a bit easier.
I'm 6'3" and the Corbin works perfect for me. I could never go back to the stock seat. I can drive MUCH further with the Corbin than the stock seat. Proved it to myself MANY times. Now if only I could get other parts of the Vmax to work better with my size.

Attachments

• side corbin.jpg
    side corbin.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 25
  • back corbin.jpg
    back corbin.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 26
There's a guy here any who is offering two VMAXs for sale at $4500 for the package. One runs, the other doesn't but would be good for parts. I'm not really interested in doing another but wanted to through that out.

I found the stock seat to be terrible after about thirty minutes and had Rick Poirier make me one of his MAXGASSER seats which is significantly better..... It's worth the investment for enjoying your ride.

PM sent with my number- call me or text me with your e-mail address or phone number and I'll send you some new pics and a video of it running.

Thanks lip toss. Good to know. I am also in your height range (6'2"). Like I said , the bike is a 2005 with 62k on it. Corbin seat etc. I am seriously hunk about some of the bikes that Are being suggested here though. I just want the most bang for the buck.

Wel ome in VMax World Curtis, take your time my friend and keep your eyes open for you Bike. I ride the Max for 29 year, ik like it.

Yes, take your time, advice I'd give on buying ANY second (third, fourth) hand ride. Especially when you're looking at profile bikes such as the Vmax. Ones that you encounter MAY have had a hard life.
My brother bought a 1985, sold that and picked up the 1987 model and began the mod-monkey. He was not the only one bit. I bit my lip until about 5 years ago when the stars aligned, both right place timing and money wise
I truly lucked out with my purchase. I saw it on my work email posted for sale. Saw it in person the next day. A mint, other than dust, stored in a heated garage for 5 years, quite obviously never rain ridden 2006 Ghost Flames Gen 1. On the clock were only 3900 KM's (2400 miles)!
It was a no brainer... I bought it that day.
Then the mod-monkey bit me too. Started with Barnett, Hindle carbon fibre, DJ Stage 7, Galfer, Corbin, NGK, (not pictured Sean Kens, Avons ,smoked signals and rad-fan switch). I've fallen in love for a second time with another bike and will never sell it, much like my XJ750RL I've had since high school.
ONE WORD OF WARNING though... once you buy you become part of a brotherhood (sisters included of course). And the Mod-Monkey will MORE than likely get you too!!!

I think I'd look elsewhere. I got my 03 w/ 17k miles for 4,500. Maybe I got a steal but it is mint.

Soynds like your getting some better deals here than the one you first talked about.

If you weren't so far away i'd say to buy the one I have here at the shop.
$2500 - 1990 w 12k miles

Nice. I bought a '90 with 5K on the clock with a 4-1 Kerker , aftermarket cams , Stage 7 and polished everywhere . Cost me $5 K about 8 years ago.

Then the monkey bit.

Attachments

• Rollies '90 Big Blue Antique - Collectibles.jpg
    Rollies '90 Big Blue Antique - Collectibles.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 14
Back