Slight twist on a common question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longburn

Reaction score
First let me say Hello to everyone as I am new to the forum.
I just got my 2005 Vmax Oct 1of last year. Lovin it so far with the limited riding I have done (only 500K).

Anyway the question I have is about what tires to run ( asked a million times before) now here's the twist. The dealer put a new Exedra 526 on the back and I think the front needs replaced due to checking between the treads. Tread depth is good I just think it's an old tired tire. The bike only had 14000K on it so if it's not original tire its the second.

Any ideas, I don't really want to ditch a new tire so do I just go with an original front or does someone have a better idea?

Thanks

You can put a Shinko Tour Master 230 or a Metzeler ME880 on the front (or whatever you think you'll be using on the rear when that G526 wears out).
I personally run a Shinko TM230 rear with a Bridgestone BattLax BT45V (sport touring) front because I ride most twisty, hilly roads and want my Max to stick to the road as much as possible.
Another good option for the front is the Metzeler Lasertec (I've run one with a Shinko TM230 Rear as well).
A lot of guys like the Mezteler ME880s because they last a bit longer but they don't stick to the road as well.

PS
Be careful in the curves on that Bridgestone Exedra G526, they tend to slip out from under you if you give it any throttle while cornering.
And if you lean too far over you will catch the edge of the G526 sidewall and the bike will actually skip around a curve (which is extremely scary).

PSS
Here's an Excel Spreadsheet that lists all known BIAS ply tires (mileage, handling, etc) that fit our stock rims:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55030067/V-Max%20Tires.xlsx
If you don't have Excel installed you can use this viewer to look at the tire spreadsheet:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10

Hi Dennis
Thanks for the reply the spread sheet is very helpful.
You mentioned that you run a Shinko tm230 with a Battlax . If you do mind me asking what sizes do you prefer.

I personally stick with the stock sizes 110/90-18 front and 150/90-15 rear.
I have run the 170/80-15 rear but I like the feel of the narrower stock size better for my riding style and the roads I ride.
But a lot of other guys here run the wider 170/80-15 on the rear and like them.
I think it just comes down to personal preference and the type of riding you do.

PS
If you look at the tread pattern on the Bridgestone G525 (the match for your rear G526) you'll see that the Shinko TM230 front and the Battlax BT45V are both pretty similar.
So either of those should work well for you.

Hey Longburn, I run the Pirelli Night Dragon in the rear and the Sport Demon in the front, I like them way better than the Bridgestones that came with my 04. There are lots of varying opinions on tires, I have only had the two brands, so can only speak on my opinion of them. On a side note, I noticed you are in Waterloo, if you are ever in the London/St. Thomas area and are looking for a riding partner, just throw me a message. I like to run the lake shore from Port Stanley to Port Dover a few times a year as it is the only run around here with some decent corners and some views.

I just want to say how crappy that excesses tire is for a Vmax. Obviously the dealer does not want to spend money on tires so the slap the cheap stuff on. That tire is fine for a small displacement cruiser bike but as the guys already mentioned, there are some much better options.
Metzler if you want longevity and decent sticktion ( my word) but pay a little more or Shinko for cheaper but stickier but shorter lived rubber.
Choose wisely Grasshopper...

Twisted can you give me Info on the Pirelli Night Dragon so I can add it to the Vmax BIAS Tire Excel Spreadsheet ?
I need:
Mileage (life of tire)
Straight Handling
Cornering
Wet Handling
Overall Handling

Listed as Poor, Fair, Good, Very Good or Excellent.

Last edited:
Kinda what I was thinking are the prls under or over sized, not sure and not being a reg vmax rider just want to be correct.

Could you elaborate on the pirellis, Bias? size? and so on.
The Pirelli Sport Demon Front comes in the stock size (110/90-18) and the Night Dragon only comes in 170/80-15 H which is slightly wider than stock.
And they are both BIAS Ply tires like our Stock Tires.

^ I have no idea, I've never run that Pirelli Night Dragon.
You'll have to wait and see what Twisted says.

Here is the link for the Pirelli tires, they also carry another rear tire that fits called the MT 66 route, rear tire sizes for our bike range from 150 to 180 in the MT 66.

Latest posts

Back