Front Wheel "free" spin

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcoop99

Reaction score
Just tinkering around waiting for fork seals to come in when I decided I would ask a few questions. When I was riding last year, I noticed that I could hear a rubbing sound while riding. It was coming from the front and got louder when going fast and quieter slower. I'm not sure if it is the brakes or the speedo unit. I've attached a video showing the wheel spinning when I give it a good spin. How much should it spin before friction slows it down? And if it is my speedo unit (you can't hear it in this video, that is my heater running) how much are they? Thanks!

OK so I can't get video uploaded. It spins about 3/4 of a revolution or less when I spin it hard with one hand.

There is some brake pad drag, so the spinning will tell you little. Speedometer cables can be noisy.
Disconnect the cable from the speedo. and spray some lube in there, something light. I used wd-40 last time. Pack a little grease into the unit on the forks. The cable is only about $20-$25 to replace.
Steve-o

Calipers hanging up maybe? Seems it should spin more freely than that. Pop the calipers off and try it again. Could also be wheel bearings.

It will surely spin very free with the calipers off (already removed the fork so I can't test that). I know it will have some drag, just not sure how much.

If you haven't checked/ greased the bearing it would be a great time to do some maintenance. Like Steve-o said lube up the speedo cable and check to make sure your calipers are working properly; maybe time to bled them too?

I just got through replacing my front bearings, the original ones were the open non sealed type, also I took the speedo hub apart and completely cleaned out all the old grease, repacked it with some high quality red grease I get from Texas Refineries. And took the speedo cable housing off and flushed it with brake cleaner.
Flushed brake fluids in both calipers, I can feel just a small drag, probably the speedo to a small degree plus some minor brake drag.

I think...ummmm, wait a sec I cant seem to get past redbones post, why does he do that to me

Latest posts

Back