UFO Maxdaddy Wheel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. I wouldn't have thought that the machinist could have turned the centres so far off!

Were the bearings faulty or incorrectly seated?

I purchased another Maxdaddy off ebay from a local guy who was changing bikes. He hadn't even used them. They both checked out as running true.

By the way, what are chicken strips :ummm:

Chicken strips are the strips of tire towards the sidewall that haven't been used yet as the bike hasn't been leaned over very far while corning. The strips of still new tire or not worn tire are called "chicken strips".

I have The 17" MaxDaddy on the rear of mine (180/55/R17) and 18" on front (110/80/18). I like the looks of them. Dont care that they are 3#s heavier than stock. Seem to hold up well. I dont see a blemish on em and ive had em for 2 years, the guy before me longer. I think there are better lookin wheels out there, IMHO, but thats a guys preference. Im glad the guy that had my bike before me had to pay the 1800$ per set (i think they are close to that in a pair). Someone said you want to get the same 18" in rear as front cant remember why. Good luck. I think you will like which ever you get.

Wow. I wouldn't have thought that the machinist could have turned the centres so far off!

Were the bearings faulty or incorrectly seated?

I purchased another Maxdaddy off ebay from a local guy who was changing bikes. He hadn't even used them. They both checked out as running true.

By the way, what are chicken strips :ummm:

The center hub was off... Check out my rant in the dealers section under bad Vmax vendors...:damn angry:

Chicken strips are the strips of tire towards the sidewall that haven't been used yet as the bike hasn't been leaned over very far while corning. The strips of still new tire or not worn tire are called "chicken strips".

Yep! I pride myself on getting rid of them but the Vmax is too low now to do a proper job of it. :bang head:

I know it is a sticky area for some but what are the costs? A one off project can have great results which I think this project has but at what cost? Would I end up with the cost of a Carrozerria? or Max Daddy? Mad Max has the bigger and fatter stock looking rear too don't they? Thanks, Patmax

Well, I may be setting up and having the option of buying the "Max Daddy" wheel in the very near future. Anyone interested can email me. I won't probably know pricing for a few days yet.

Sean Morley

Sean,

I haven't heard anything more on this. Do you have this as an option? Are you going to have one in Topeka?

Kent.

I spoke to Sean, about this acouple of weeks ago, he can set you up with one if needed for probably a whole lot less then anyone else.

I am setup and can order one any time. I won't be stocking them since they tie up a lot of cash I can use for other projects.

Sean

I am setup and can order one any time. I won't be stocking them since they tie up a lot of cash I can use for other projects.

Sean

Not that I need one... Trust me I don't, but how much are you needing to get for them? :ummm:

I have to get with them and make sure but I don't think they include some of the bearings. I am going to estimate about $1000-$1050 for the 17x5.5. Not a lot less the Jon but some anyway. If it comes with the bearings in it then it will be $1000. Still not cheap but at least it matches the front and does actually look very nice.

Sean

I have to get with them and make sure but I don't think they include some of the bearings. I am going to estimate about $1000-$1050 for the 17x5.5. Not a lot less the Jon but some anyway. If it comes with the bearings in it then it will be $1000. Still not cheap but at least it matches the front and does actually look very nice.

Sean

I believe that there is a special Yamaha only bearing that you have to get but that may be just yet ANOTHER lie Jon told me...:damn angry:

Here's a direct quote:

"I can do any size you want for the MaxDaddy. It is priced with our Level 1 pricing + the shaft drive upcharge. We do not press bearings in only because John Cornell never wanted us to, but if you give me a bearing size or axle size, I can get bearings for your applications. The hub we have is a cush drive set up, and we shrink fit new nylon bushings into each rear hub. For John, I usually run 17x5.5 wheels for him, but the 17x5.5 wheel blank has a different lip profile than our other sizes. So keep that in mind if you have a customer that wants a full set of wheels in one of our other patterns, we will have to build a 17x6.25 or an 18x5.5 if they want a matching front wheel from us. The 17x6.25 takes a little more work to fit into stock swingarm...I believe you have to take the brake caliper off, then fit the wheel in, and then secure the shaft and caliper back on once wheel is in position. We do wheels for another company by the name of MadMax. They usually do custom V-max builds. For example, we have done 300 and 330 wheels for a few of his turbo charged custom builds. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns, I would be happy to address them."

Sean

Here's a direct quote:

"I can do any size you want for the MaxDaddy. It is priced with our Level 1 pricing + the shaft drive upcharge. We do not press bearings in only because John Cornell never wanted us to, but if you give me a bearing size or axle size, I can get bearings for your applications. The hub we have is a cush drive set up, and we shrink fit new nylon bushings into each rear hub. For John, I usually run 17x5.5 wheels for him, but the 17x5.5 wheel blank has a different lip profile than our other sizes. So keep that in mind if you have a customer that wants a full set of wheels in one of our other patterns, we will have to build a 17x6.25 or an 18x5.5 if they want a matching front wheel from us. The 17x6.25 takes a little more work to fit into stock swingarm...I believe you have to take the brake caliper off, then fit the wheel in, and then secure the shaft and caliper back on once wheel is in position. We do wheels for another company by the name of MadMax. They usually do custom V-max builds. For example, we have done 300 and 330 wheels for a few of his turbo charged custom builds. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns, I would be happy to address them."

Sean

See and Jon told me he could NO LONGER get the 5.5x17 which is why I got stuck with the non fitting 6.25" lump which weighed 3 times what my current wheel weighs. :bang head: I sold it for 6 something to a VMOA member:damn angry: Lie after lie and people still buy from the F'r!:damn angry:

Just do the 5.5" for stock arms. The curved lip on both of them was very cool looking...

OK sorry Sean... Every time I think about that ass...:bang head:

Just ordered up a 17x6.25 from Jon...found him very helpful...even got $100 knocked off price for a unpolished wheel (I'll be powder coating them myself here in Au)

P.S....We're making a custom s/arm so no probs with tyre width,caliper mount etc.

Just ordered up a 17x6.25 from Jon...found him very helpful...even got $100 knocked off price for a unpolished wheel (I'll be powder coating them myself here in Au)

P.S....We're making a custom s/arm so no probs with tyre width,caliper mount etc.

Major thread revival, wow!

I'm running a set of RC Wheels purchased from UFO, that's the company that build the max daddy for UFO.

I've had no problems with them either during purchase or since.

They are heavy as fuck tho, close to the stockers.

Be ready of he calls you back and gives you a song and dance about wanting to raise the price because (blah, blah, blah) he tried that shit with me and I told him very quickly to just cancel the order and he changed his tune.

I paid around $1650 5-6 years ago I think.

Another revival one !
I'd like to buy the maxdaddy 17" but looking at this thread, it looks like UFO is not the best company to do business with...
Any recent experience with these guys from members of the forum ?
Do they still make the 5.5 or just the 6.25.
Could I get the maxdaddy elsewhere ?
Any other wheel options in 17" with the stock swing arm ?
I'm not into the "racing look" with my vmax. I'd like to keep the original spirit, so no RC wheels for me.
Thanks for your help !

Back