what fuels do you run ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7 various vehicles. I use 91octane, non ethanol because I store 33 gallons prepped for long term storage. 4 require at least that octane to run. I save trips to the gas station. Saves lots on repairs to small engines too over Ethanol.

I usually run non ethanol 89. On 87 it sounds like it knocks. But then again, after 6 yrs of ownership, im still finding things the P.O. did that i didnt know about, lol.

The difference between regular, plus and premium gas is the octane rating… 87, 91, and 93 if I remember correctly. Every bike has its own rating, and I am going to guess that your bike is 87 or 91. A lot of people think that giving a bike a higher grade of gas is a way to give it “extra treatment,” but this couldn’t be farther from the truth. The higher octane rating means that the gas *burns hotter*, and if you give an 87 octane bike 93 octahedral gas, you are making the combustion process burn much hotter than what the engine is designed to handle, making the bike wear out much faster! If you gave your bike premium gas every day it would wear out sooner than expected, and giving it premium gas even one day (like a birthday) is not a present at all. If you want your bike to last as long as possible, stick to the octane rating it calls for.

In theory you may be right except I had a bike that proves you wrong.My father bought a 88 Yamaha venture new.He put 55,000 on it then I bought it from him and put another 30,000 on it then sold it to a neighbor.It now has over 120,000 on it .It still does not use a drop of oil and runs perfect.All while running premium gas.Might also be worth mentioning that this is basically the same engine as the vmax.Very few vmax owners will ever put over 120,000 miles on it.

I use premium because i get close to 20 miles more per tank than I can with 87 octane,plus it runs better.

Most premium fuel has more detergents in it and will keep the engine cleaner. In addition "Top Tier" fuels (Sunoco,Exxon, Shell......etc)
have to meet higher standards than non top tier suppliers. That's one of the reasons they are a little more expensive. I only run top tier premium in my F-150 and Gen 2 VMax. It's more important with the F-150 because it is a direct injection engine.

In theory you may be right except I had a bike that proves you wrong.My father bought a 88 Yamaha venture new.He put 55,000 on it then I bought it from him and put another 30,000 on it then sold it to a neighbor.It now has over 120,000 on it .It still does not use a drop of oil and runs perfect.All while running premium gas.Might also be worth mentioning that this is basically the same engine as the vmax.Very few vmax owners will ever put over 120,000 miles on it.

I use premium because i get close to 20 miles more per tank than I can with 87 octane,plus it runs better.

You had a bike that proves me wrong- a bike-:clapping:

I for one am DEFINATELY glad for your sharing of info Eric! Its been MUCH appreciated!

Only need the 87 but I have a ethanol tester and the only fuel in town with no ethanol is 91..... Now 91 up here ain't 91 so winning on two fronts lol.....
Sea foam every third fill up and heck if I can't make it to the gas station little 100LL might find its way in there just to get me to the station.....and smell cool lol.

That says RON (Research Octane Number, the system used in Europe) 91 and is equal to 87 US ([R+M/2]) Octane:
http://www.pencilgeek.org/2009/05/octane-rating-conversions.html
And it says only use premium if you engine knocks or pings when using 86 US Octane (91 RON) fuel.

PS
You are letting yourself get worked up for no reason.
It's your bike so use what you want and be happy.

Thanks for the info.
I'm not worked up. just laughing how some people. will pick what you are doing to pieces. because it's not what they do. And will argue till they are blue in the face.
Just to make you think just like them.

I bet if i started a thread on (how often do you replace the air in your tires?)
someone would have a opinion and believe they are right.

But back on track, thanks to all who answered what they run for fuel.

I run 87 with seafoam and alternate with 89 BP. Works for me and I do notice a difference.

Back