Tour Tank Setup

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Sean's 5 gal tank retrofit of a stock tank. It is possible because I have a 3" extended swingarm and the tank extends into some of the vacated area leaving space for suspension travel of the rear tire. It keeps the fill location, vent, fuel line on top and sensor on the bottom all in the stock locations. I normally get at least 160 miles to the red low light and I have been to over 180 miles on a tank, 183 IIRC. I can carry 2 33 oz MSR fuel bottles for long trip insurance but I'm usually ready for a break after 150 miles with just my little Givi Airstars 123 mini windscreen.
EDIT: I have Morley's jet kit and Mark's 4 into 2 exhaust. I also have PCW's stage 3 valve kit installed by Damon. Bike runs great and gets good mileage, but having a good tune is key for distance riding too, along with a judicious use of throttle.

I was going to mount it about 8" further back so I could still fit my tail bag on with a passenger, but I wanted to get it on and running first. Plus, I added Fatmax saddlebags... Are you carrying a passenger? You could put your trunk on over half the rear seat and still fit one of these tanks. It's so little. My mom even called it cute...
Doesn't all that extra weight so far back affect the C/G? Which will then affect the handling? I had a CX500 years ago, and put a 12v auto battery on the rack to take it somewhere. Getting on the gas going up an on-ramp, it developed such a bad head shake it was unrideable! I had to go real easy. The bike was totally stock, except for the rack.

Back