Best handling combo for 17 rear 18 front?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CruisinVA

Reaction score
Hey guys. Hope this hasn't been beat to death, but lots of searching yielded no answers to what I'm after.

I just picked up my Vmax and it needs tires. It has a 17" rear wheel, and an 18" front wheel. It currently sports a 170/60zr17 rear tire and a 110/90mc18 front. I don't feel like this is a good match up, it feels a bit strange, of course its a new bike to me aswell.

My question is for any one with this wheel combo, whats the best handling mix of tire sizes. I know on one of my R6's i got it with a 190/55zr17 rear and 120/70zr17 front. I didn't care for the handling at all and changing back to the 180/55 rear helped alot, i liked the way it felt much better than the 190.

I see some people run the 180/55 rear but how will that jive with the 110/90 front? Should i change the front size as well? I know these bikes can be finnicky so i want the best radial match up i can get.

So in short, what are you guys running? I want tires that i can have the same brand front and rear, and prefer a street bike tire. I'm just looking for the magic combo for best handling and stability.

Thanks for reading guys! Look forward to your feedback!

Paul.

Well first of all.....are you certain that the front is a 110/90-18? If so that's a bias ply.....a radial that will fit the front is a 110/80-18. That might be the main reason why it feels weird.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Well that would explain a ton right there. Its a Dunlop D404F 110/90-18 MC 61H.

The wheels are Dymags.

I ran the 110/80/18R with the 180/55/17R and it was an improvement over stock. When I found the matching 17" wheel (tks to Sean) and mounted a 120/70/17R the handling really was significantly improved with more of my weight on the front end. Drag bars also put you even more forward, aiding this. You're messing with heights and changing front/back ratios a little. All for the better in most cases.

Awesome info guys!

Anyone run a 120/70zr18 front with 180/55zr17 rear? Wonder how that would mesh for handling.

Harley designed a bike mixing bias & radial tires, but you shouldn't!

Any quality tire set should be suitable from a reputable manufacturer. Sport touring will be a harder compound so less grip, sport bike performance rubber will give you the best 'feel' but won't last as long. I have radials and have been happy w/Bridgestone Battlax tires. I'm not sure mine are current but as I recall BT-023.

I would think that they would mesh pretty well. The only difference between the 17 vs 18 inch rear, is the 17 is smaller, and so will give you better acceleration.

The 120 would give you a wider contact patch, and so should give you better cornering. BUT....is this a stock front rim? Or is it a dynamag on the front as well? If its a stock front wheel, then the 110/80-18 is the biggest that you can run on the front.

Michelin pilot road 3... 190/50/17 rear and 110/80/18 front.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

While i cant say for certain, you guys surely know more about these Vmaxs than i do, the wheels appear identical in construction, and have matching Dymag stickers. Thats not to say someone didnt slap stickers on them? I will attach some pictures. Any input is appreciated.

At first view they look like the older Dymag models. Didn't know they did a 18 incher

Really think I'm gonna go 120/70zr18 fr and 180/55zr17 rr. I think that will handle really well. Sound like a winning combo for the Max??

Really think I'm gonna go 120/70zr18 fr and 180/55zr17 rr. I think that will handle really well. Sound like a winning combo for the Max??
Sounds good. If I had a front that would handle the 120.....that's what I would run. Let us know how it works.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I'm going to use a 180 on the back next time. This 190 is too much of a pain if I need to do anything.

Back