Oil Change Help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HondaGuy

Reaction score
Hello all,

First time poster here. I have a pretty dumb question, and I'll be honest, I'm a bit embarrassed to ask it. I'm a pretty competent wrench, and have restored quite a few bikes over the years, but this is my first time getting my hands dirty on a VMax. I'm helping out a friend who recently took possession of his dads long neglected 99. I've been through the whole bike, rebuilt the carbs, adjusted the valves, new fork seals, rebuilt the slave cylinder, changed the final drive oil and coolant, rebuilt the starter, new fuel filter, rebuilt all the brakes, and generally undid a lot of neglect.

My question seems pretty stupid, but I cant see the oil level through the window. It's totally opaque, and I have no idea where I'm at with the oil level. My Clymer manual says 4 quarts for filter and oil change, but I seldom trust those books. On old Goldwings I've restored, there's a little wiper you can turn that will clear the window, but there's nothing like that on this bike. Am i missing something, or should i just trust the Clymer manual and dump 4 quarts in it?

Welcome to the forum..

I guess the 1st thing I would look at is,,, after the oil is drained;
1) how much did I remove.
2) what was the condition of the oil. Was it just dark in color, or was it brown and milky? In other words, if it was smeared on the site glass, would it look opaque?
3) or, are you simply looking through the window and seeing past the site glass?

If it's milky in color, you may have some water or coolant going where it shouldn't be.

If its just dark in color, I'd change out the filter and put what is recommended and watch the site glass. You should see the level rise.. (make sure you're on a level surface).

Good luck with that.

The site glass should be clear. Shine a flashlight in it and make sure you can see the silver behind it. Real bad oil will be just black. If white (opaque), could be bad crystal or water intrusion.

I've been doing oil changes on my 1985 for 33 years now. 4 quarts come out, 4 quarts go in. With a new filter every time. Don't beat hell out of it, it will last a long time.

Thanks for the input everybody. The oil doesn't look coolant contaminated, just very, very black. Honestly it's probably 10 year old oil. Unfortunately its previous owner had some demons, and this bike was seldom ridden sober, let alone taken care of.

But I digress. I think it may not be a bad idea to drain out the fresh 4 quarts I have in there after a touch of seafoam is added and run for a short while. I'm hoping that will clear up the window. It's just totally sludged over right now. Hopefully that will clear things up.

I'd pull the pan and clean everything well, and at the same time check/secure the Orange o-ring oil tubing. Making sure the o-ring is seated. I've been safety wiring the tubing down tight for peace of mind. And you'll surely become acquainted with Morley's Muscle. Anything Vmax, he has it, can get it, and knows all about it. And welcome.

4 quarts will work.
I typically pour in 3-3/4 quarts. That gets me in between the max and min lines. 4 quarts puts me up near the top of the sight glass.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'd pull the pan and clean everything well, and at the same time check/secure the Orange o-ring oil tubing. Making sure the o-ring is seated. I've been safety wiring the tubing down tight for peace of mind. And you'll surely become acquainted with Morley's Muscle. Anything Vmax, he has it, can get it, and knows all about it. And welcome.

How big of a job is it to drop the pan? Does the motor need to come out?

How big of a job is it to drop the pan? Does the motor need to come out?

Engine doesn’t have to come out, bike lift would be ideal. Unplug the oil sensor, un route those wires and should be pretty straight forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All good fellas. I ran it for a few minutes with some seafoam in the fresh oil, drained it, and now I can see right through the window.

Thanks so much for all your help!

I'll be honest, I'm a bit nervous to test ride this bike once I'm done putting the tires on tomorrow. I'm afraid after one ride, I won't want to give it back!

There's still oil left in the engine after draining it out of the pan. You never get the full 4 quarts. out. The are other plugs that will drain small quantities out, but the heads and trans. hold some too.

All good fellas. I ran it for a few minutes with some seafoam in the fresh oil, drained it, and now I can see right through the window.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Nice to know that's an option.

Tallmadge as in Ohio?
I remember driving out to Summit Racing a few times 20+ years ago with one of my buddies. Sometimes you just couldn't wait for it to ship to you.

Nice to know that's an option.

Tallmadge as in Ohio?
I remember driving out to Summit Racing a few times 20+ years ago with one of my buddies. Sometimes you just couldn't wait for it to ship to you.

Funny you should say that. I've been working there for the last 6 years doing commercial sales to performance shops around the world. Its kind of a double edged sword. I get to work in the industry I'm passionate about, but I usually end up just giving half of my paycheck right back to the company!

Funny you should say that. I've been working there for the last 6 years doing commercial sales to performance shops around the world. Its kind of a double edged sword. I get to work in the industry I'm passionate about, but I usually end up just giving half of my paycheck right back to the company!

Hopefully you get a decent employee discount!

Latest posts

Back