ADVICE to BRING TO LIFE: 1985 vmax 1200 sitting in garage for 3 years

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRBishop

Reaction score
Hello -

I am newbie not only to this forum, but to the VMax. I did some searching within the forum before I posted, but was not able to find exactly want I need to know.

I just picked up a 1985 VMAX 1200 which has been sitting in a garage for 3 years without being started or covered. Flat tires, dead battery, etc.

WHAT ARE MY STEPS TO GET HER RUNNING AGAIN?
  • New battery
  • Drain old gas from tank and carbs
  • Change oil and filter
  • Flush and refill radiator

What else am I missing as to not damage anything? Do I need to clean the carbs first just to to get it running OR can I do that after once I hear it running?

One thing I thought was odd is the throttle will not turn when I try. Thinking carbs and cable are just gunked up.

What else do I need to check???

Thank you in advance for any info you can share for what I need to do to get running and then even after what do I need to check. Fork seals, brakes, etc.

THE BIKE: It is an 85 painted and 95 red with newer front wheel and seat as well.
vmax.png

Don't know myself what all to check aside from what you listed to fire it up . Before getting it on the road be sure that throttle is addressed, tires are safe and brakes work.
Curious of the last four of the vin?

And welcome to the forum

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Not sure the VIN number yet because I'm picking up on Sunday. Why do you ask?

Not sure the VIN number yet because I'm picking up on Sunday. Why do you ask?
A lot of us are interested in finding the oldest v max. The last four are the indicator of that. Someone will have to chime in cause I can't remember but I think 0101 or 1001 would be the oldest.
There's a disscussion on the forum for that

3 years isn't all that bad.

Fuel, air, and spark.

Check airbox for signs of a mouse nest.

Drain float bowls. Check the tank too. If the fuel is dark and nasty maybe just rig up a different source. I have a little lawnmower tank I like to use for such things.

If the coolant was good when the bike was parked, it should be good enough to leave in for testing purposes. I wouldn't bother changing it till you get further along.

As far as the throttle goes, it just opens the butterflies and not the slides. You can pop the airbox off and see if you can manipulate the butterflies by hand. If that works, you know the main problem lies in the cables or throttle assembly itself.

The VIN question is in regards to this thread. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=14872

Sort of a '85 registry.

Vmax carbs are a bit finicky. They may require a full cleaning. Then again, it may fire right up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

A lot of us are interested in finding the oldest v max. The last four are the indicator of that. Someone will have to chime in cause I can't remember but I think 0101 or 1001 would be the oldest.
There's a disscussion on the forum for that

The first 100 were not available to the public only dealerships--0101 would be the first one for sale.

Dont forget the brake lines themselves. They will deteriorate with age, and if they are the bigger black rubber looking lines, chances are they are original.

Thank you for all the feedback! I'll keep you posted as to the VIN

And throttle cable is a two cable push/pull design. My best advice is to buy a shop manual first and foremost and then use this site. Hope your carbs don't need a rebuild but there a few "tricks to clean them on the bike which saves you a few hundred right there. Keep us posted ! And welcome

And throttle cable is a two cable push/pull design. My best advice is to buy a shop manual first and foremost and then use this site. Hope your carbs don't need a rebuild but there a few "tricks to clean them on the bike which saves you a few hundred right there. Keep us posted ! And welcome

Thanks again... I downloaded a service manual. Are those tricks to clean the carbs on AND OFF are in a thread?

I downloaded that manual also.. It was a good start.. When you finally get your own manual, you'll see that it's WAY worth the cost..

SO it turns out she sat just a tad longer than 3 years... plate tag says 2003! Tank is a little rusty do going to get that cleaned up, but planned to fire by running fuel lines to an external tank. I decided to check the coolant and found this white/yellow crystalized goop that used to be antifreeze / coolant in the coolant manifold which is a mess. From what I can tell it is mainly in the manifold. I pulled the radiator hose off the front of the manifold and there was a little in the hose but not like the pile of it in the manifold which I think I can clean out. Shoud I be worried here or can I just try and flush this out? I may also post this in another thread as I could not find anything on it...

radiator1.jpg

radiator2.jpg

I replied to the issue in your other thread. As a suggestion, try to keep your requests for the same thing in a single thread. You are more-likely to have people see them and to respond.

I replied to the issue in your other thread. As a suggestion, try to keep your requests for the same thing in a single thread. You are more-likely to have people see them and to respond.

Sorry about that. Will do! And thanks for the info!!

Latest posts

Back