What main jets should I go with next???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlopes

Reaction score
Aloha everyone. Well, I'm trying to dial in my carbs and she is starving all over the place. I need to change my mains, but not too sure how much bigger I should try. Here is my set up.

Morley's muscle jet kit
Kerker 4:2:1
Ross Pistons
Needle is at second richest slot towards point end
Pilots are 3.5 turns out
PAJ 1's are 90
PAJ 2's are 170
Main jets are 150's
Carbs are sync' perfect

Here are the main sizes that I have

I also have 177 PAJ 2's

Any suggestions on what size I would try on my mains?

Whenever jetting rule of thumb is 1 step at a time-152.5 mains should be next if you are lean.
I am assuming these are dj and not mikuni's now?

I had to go to 147.5 needles on the 3rd clip 650 ft elevation with Morleys kit and Kerner 4 into 1

Well, at these settings, it was popping all over the RPM range, I kept adjusting the needle more rich and the popping got a bit better, but still popping all over. When I pulled the plugs, they were white as snow. Very lean. I cleaned up and tried it again with a half of turn out on the pilot and one more clip of the needle.....still popping all over and plugs still showed very lean. Trust me....this setting is not rich at all. Also, it was starving at the higher RPM's, 7000 and up. Morley said this indicates I need to check my float levels and increase my main's if the floats are good....which they were in between 15 and 16....on the lean side. I got all 4 right on the nuts at 16 now. I now installed 155's, because I don't have 152.5's. I readjusted my pilots back to 2.25 turns out (per spec), and have the needle clip at the middle slot. I kept PAJ 1 & 2 at stock, 90 and 170. I'm about to sync and take her out. I'll update you guys on my progress.

Well, at these settings, it was popping all over the RPM range, I kept adjusting the needle more rich and the popping got a bit better, but still popping all over. When I pulled the plugs, they were white as snow. Very lean. I cleaned up and tried it again with a half of turn out on the pilot and one more clip of the needle.....still popping all over and plugs still showed very lean. Trust me....this setting is not rich at all. Also, it was starving at the higher RPM's, 7000 and up. Morley said this indicates I need to check my float levels and increase my main's if the floats are good....which they were in between 15 and 16....on the lean side. I got all 4 right on the nuts at 16 now. I now installed 155's, because I don't have 152.5's. I readjusted my pilots back to 2.25 turns out (per spec), and have the needle clip at the middle slot. I kept PAJ 1 & 2 at stock, 90 and 170. I'm about to sync and take her out. I'll update you guys on my progress.
Mine is close to that as I am below sea level- Stock piston w/stock airbox and 157.5 mains. Some carb and coil tricks and redegreeing cams. Let us know.

It is likely related to the float settings taking that size on the mains. Erics dyno thread goes into some detail on his discoveries with this.

Having lived in Hawaii for 3 years, he might want the 147's unless he was over on the big island, and it really doesn't have the highest elevation unless you go from the base of the big island which is underwater.. 152 were or are the stock mains that come in the carbs if you still have them. Here in VA my bike likes the 147's the most.. but everyone has their own setups on what seems to work the best. Climate in Hawaii is very humid, I enjoyed riding there at times... minus the traffic.... Never before have i been passed by a scooter doing a wheelie, oh and I was doing about 45 in my car at the time....

Mine is close to that as I am below sea level- Stock piston w/stock airbox and 157.5 mains. Some carb and coil tricks and redegreeing cams. Let us know.

Well I've worked my way up to the 157.5's and she is sooooooo close. I only have a slight hesitation at 7k, but just for a tiny second and she gets good. Do you have that same thing blackmax? You guys think I should try the 160's to fix this at 7k?

It is likely related to the float settings taking that size on the mains. Erics dyno thread goes into some detail on his discoveries with this.

I read Eric's dyno thread. I'll set the floats to 17 like Eric's set up and try that. Then I'll experiment with the jetting and needle clips.

Well I've worked my way up to the 157.5's and she is sooooooo close. I only have a slight hesitation at 7k, but just for a tiny second and she gets good. Do you have that same thing blackmax? You guys think I should try the 160's to fix this at 7k?

No actually I don't have any hesitation anywhere. I am running cops is the only difference between mine and yours. I have a 1/2 step washer under the needle and tied 4 rounds of spring together in the slides.

No actually I don't have any hesitation anywhere. I am running cops is the only difference between mine and yours. I have a 1/2 step washer under the needle and tied 4 rounds of spring together in the slides.

Stock springs or the stage 7 length? And are the slides drilled?

Wouldn't the Kerker set up with the Stage 7 require at least 165 mains?

Back