What to do when your fuel pump clicks like a SOB

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
Does your fuel pump click for about 5 seconds EVERY time you turn the bike on? If the bowls are full, you should not hear the pump at all. There are multiple possible causes of this problem, but I wanted to post a solution that seems to be fairly common. I got some great advice when I asked about this issue, and here is how I fixed it:

The problem (for me at least) was a misplaced diaphragm in the fuel pump. You'll need to remove the fuel pump and take it apart to reinsert the diaphragm. Sounds a lot more difficult than it is. Start by removing the drivers seat and the faux tank. The next step is to remove the coolant reservoir. It comes out very easily - just remove the two hoses and slide it up:

IMG_6166.jpg

Now we want to disconnect the power supply to the pump. Just follow its wire and undo the connector (there is a small tab to push on the underside):

IMG_6165.jpg

Next you can slacken the two nuts holding the pump:

IMG_6159.jpg

And remove the four frame bolts (take note of the three ground wires attached to the rear bolt on the right side):

IMG_6163.jpg

IMG_6164.jpg

Now you can compress the clips on the two fuel hoses attached to the pump, slide them down the hose, and remove the hoses from the pump.
You'll need to twist them a little a tug pretty hard.
Make sure you have a cloth underneath as a bit of fuel will leak.

IMG_6161.jpg

IMG_6160.jpg

Remove the nuts and washers from the frame and pull the fuel pump out.

Now remove the five screws from the same end of the pump that you took the hoses off and carefully take the top off. Be prepared for some more fuel to spill out, and look carefully for a flat rubber diaphragm about the same diameter as a pencil. You will have three sections: a 'lid', a center piece about a half inch thick, and the rest of the fuel pump body. Inspect everything. I had some rust-colored gunk that I cleaned up. The inside of the lid:

IMG_6149.jpg

The middle section looks something like this:

IMG_6151marked.jpg

Notice that there is a rubber tit sticking out of the top right hand hole, but nothing in the hole that the arrow is pointing to. The missing diaphragm in my pump fell out when I disassembled it, but you may need to look for yours. Here is what it looks like:

IMG_6152.jpg

Place the diaphragm into the hole so that the tit sticks out where it is supposed to. I had to use a small screwdriver to get it in. It should look like this when you are done:

IMG_6154.jpg

Thats it! Put er back together, start the bike, and then turn it on and off a couple of times. When the bowls are full, the pump should no longer engage and you won't hear the clicking. Oh yeah, make sure you put the pump back together correctly - When the lid sits on the body it should look like this:

IMG_6156.jpg

Everything else is just in reverse. Good luck!

Great report! You're not the first that I've heard having to do this repair. Now we all know how. Thks,

Dale #2592

Well done and thanks for this!

One little note: you don't need to disconnect the puke tank hoses, you can just slide it up and place it aside.

I always wondered what that fuel pump looked like inside, great write-up and pics. :clapping:

Nice step by step instructions Dave,
My fuel pump clicks every time I turn the key, just thought it was normal so, thats why I didn`t pay attention to it so, now I have something to do to my vmax tomorrow LOL.
<<DAVE>>:punk:

Nice step by step instructions Dave,
My fuel pump clicks every time I turn the key, just thought it was normal so, thats why I didn`t pay attention to it so, now I have something to do to my vmax tomorrow LOL.
<<DAVE>>:punk:

It should click every time, it just shouldn't click for a long time. The pump is haveing trouble building pressure which is why it clicks for a long time. I had to do this same thing last year.

Before bothering with this turn your machine off and on 3 or 4 times, waiting each time for the fuel pump to stop. If it still clicks more than once or twice after the third time, I'd say its a problem. The only time mine clicks now is the first time I turn it on after having it sit for a while. I shut it off today and ran into the post office to drop off a letter and when I came back 30 seconds later it didn't click at all when I turned it on.

great write up. I had this problem with my 85 max. problem is after doing the fix my fuel light comes on after about 5 seconds and stays on. I seem to be getting fuel. please any ideas what i may have gotten wrong. sorry if this is a newbe question.

I am assuming you mean the loud clicking? I get it about 25% of the time. Get other almost electric sounds every single time

Great job!

After reading this, went immediately to tear apart my fuel pump.

Last few months my Max has been rather difficult to start when cold. It has required some time of rotating the starter motor. Until recently it used to start immediately without too much effort - regardless whether cold or hot.

Misplaced diaphgram sounded like natural reason - and that was just the case -pump pressure could not be built up quickly enough, and the engine did not start easily. Now the diaphgram is placed correctly again and the problem was solved!

Thanks for good explanation and photos!
clapping.gif

Regards,

AT

nice instructions! I bought my 95' about one year ago, it clics for 5 sec. every time, even after just a shot period off. I tried to do the repair, but... THERE WAS NOTHING THERE! rs It must have been forgotten out somehow by the old owner. Does anyone knows something to replace it?

Diaphragms were missing entirely? Is there any chance that they fell out when you disassembled the pump (that's what happened to mine)?

no, it didn't... I even did the job over a white surface so I wouldn't miss the part... well, It's workin, so I'll leave it alone. hahaha
I guess the first owner did something to the pump, maybe he forgot it out.

Note, the diaphragms are very small. Maybe a dime in diameter and very thin with a stub in the middle to lock into the steel fitting.
Sean

Latest posts

Back