Looking for a good Vmax mechanic

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eh .... Bikerchris

I sure did find that better then good mechanic. He goes by the name Brad, or was it Jim, or was it Glen ........ Oh yea it was all of these guys and a lot of the local VMOA members. This is to say that even members not so local have been a great help with many issues over the years. Without help from all of these guys my 1994 Vmax would not be what it is today. You can post questions here on the forum and usually get a response very quickly with lots of offers of help both with suggestions and actual hands on help from many. Be very careful because once the " Mod Monkey " bites you it is hard to know when to stop.

Hey Guys,
I'm up in Collingwood and was wondering the same thing...any local shops or one-man-shows that are very familiar with carb set up? I've got a '98, new to me this season, with Dale Walker pipes, jets and air filter kit. Ran great earlier this summer then has gradually gone "off" and now running rich and backfiring. I thought it may have been a sketchy tank of fuel, so I ran some water-remover through it (a tank of gas) and it seems a bit better, but still not crisp like when i bought it this spring. Do the carbs need to be synced each season??
Thanks,
Colin

^ CM55,
try draining the carbs into a Glass container to check for rust or any discoloration.
I'd also check out your Fuel filter (it's under the front seat) and see what it looks like.

As for Synching the carbs, I do mine every spring just because, but it is supposed to be checked every 10,000 km according to the Owners Manual Maintenance Schedule.

Last edited:
Thanks Dman. I'll check the filter. My max is hibernating now...hopefully not too long before I can wake her up (and my neighbours too!) I think I'll touch base with Jim too, Kincardine is not too far from me. I'd love to have someone run through the carb sync with me once before i screw anything up too badly. Hey, I'm heading down the the Indy MOto Gp in Aug, and will be doing the scenic route through Pennsylvaina...maybe you could show me some roads??
Colin

Hey Jim,
Your offer to Mr Bill was very generous...maybe you would also consider a trip over to Collingwood for a carb-sync seminar later this Spring?? This will be my first full season with my Max and I don't want to be trouble-shooting any carb issues in June when we should all be riding!!
Thanks for your consideration.
Colin

Thanks Dman. I'll check the filter. My max is hibernating now...hopefully not too long before I can wake her up (and my neighbours too!) I think I'll touch base with Jim too, Kincardine is not too far from me. I'd love to have someone run through the carb sync with me once before i screw anything up too badly. Hey, I'm heading down the the Indy MOto Gp in Aug, and will be doing the scenic route through Pennsylvaina...maybe you could show me some roads??
Colin

As long as I'm back up and walking/riding I'd be happy to show you some great roads to ride in my area that will get you headed into Western PA.
If Not I can still recommend some good routes via Google Maps or MapQuest.
And if you don't have your Carbs synched by then I could show you how using my Carbtune also.
But I'm sure you'll be able to hook up with some of he Ontario guys before then to get them synched.
There are a lot of Great (Vmax) guys in Southern Ontario.

Colin
Jim is now located in Milton, just west of Toronto.

Good, maybe you can help me!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
George, you probably should talk to Michael Moore, aka Vmax2extreme on here as he will have some tech days posted up. I'm not sure of his and your actual proximity but you do live in the same state. Here in Michigan that can be as far as 7 hours apart. I'm about 4 hours away from the closest regular on VMF.

I've been following this thread and have to ask a question regarding a previous post. The member said his carbs seemed to be stock, but the slides were drilled out and he was wondering if he should replace them with stock undrilled slides. My question is... If the carbs are stock and the slides have been drilled, how will this affect the way the bike/carbs perform compared to slides that haven't been drilled out?

Latest posts

Back