Changing out your pick up coils (1st Gen)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Hymen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I'm changing out a bad pick up coils, but you can use the steps below if you need to work on your starter clutch, flywheel, stator or slave clutch master also.

First put your VMax on a work stand or center stand. You can lean it to one side if you want to minimize the oil loss.

1.jpg

The flywheel/stator cover is on the left and the middle gear is to the right of it. Some oil will come out when you remove both covers so have a pan ready. Also oil will end up on your exhaust so you will probably want to put a cloth on that too.

2.jpg

Before you start, make sure you have both gaskets. Silicone *can* be used on the middle gear cover if you want but not on the stator cover due to clearance issues.

2a.jpg

First, you have to remove the gear shift bracket and the footrest. The bracket is held on by 2 bolts as is the footrest.

3.jpg

Swing the shifter assembly out of your way. I mark the alignment of the shifter to the case so there is less adjustment time when I put it back on. Remove the bolt by the lower arrow and remove the assembly. It is on a spline so you may need to do some gentle prying.

4.jpg

With that hardware out of the way, you can start removing the covers. However, the bolts holding the covers are different lengths, so it is wise to create some type of template to keep track of the where the bolts go back in. Here is my high tech carbon fibre one made to look like cheap cardboard.:biglaugh:

5.jpg

Here is the middle gear cover removed. If you are replacing your slave clutch master, it can be seen to the left of the middle gear.

6.jpg

Middle gear cover. I lucked out and the gasket came off in 1 piece so I will reuse it.

7.jpg

The arrows show 2 of the most common oil leaks for the VMax. This is especially true if you have an older one that has cloth covered wire. The oil wicks along the cloth cover and drips under the bike. I have updated mine with the non cloth covered wire.

8.jpg

When taking off the stator cover, the wires for the stator and pick up coil are not long enough to let the cover sit on the ground. I use my dirtbike stand as a little work table and place it on that. It's also a good height to hold your beer! :biglaugh:

8a.jpg

When removing the stator cover, you will feel resistance from the magnets as you pull it off. And as an added joy, parts will fall out!:damn angry: The parts will be part of the gear cluster for the starter. It may be 1 to 3 gears and up to 2 support posts for the gears that *may* fall out. The arrow points to one of the gears that has slid out of place (the support post is stuck in the cover).

9.jpg

Here's a close up to see the post hole in the back and the gear has slid down. The gear off the starter motor is to the left.

10.jpg

Here is the stator cover. The one support post with a gear is stuck in it and the arrow show the hole for the other post. When putting the cover back on, have both posts and all gears set up on the motor. You can see the gasket did not come off in 1 piece so I will replace it.

11.jpg

Here are the pick up coils. It is held in place with 4 screws (red arrows). as you can see, when I got in there, 1 of the screws is missing!! :bang head: I looked around for it in the motor casing but can't find it.:confused2: The green arrows show the metal tangs that you bend to hold the wire in place.

12.jpg

Pick up coils have been removed. When reinstalling, you can put a bit of silicone around where the grommet goes through the case, but that is all that is really necessary.

13.jpg

Meh... camera just died... reassembly is pretty straight forward. If you made a template for the bolts, it will be easier putting everything back in. I use a bit of anti seize on my bolts.

14.jpg

When I get the camera working, I show a final picture of how the starter gear assembly should look.

Note that the green mark you made on the case for the shifter clamp isn't 100% needed. You can see the little dimple in the end of the shaft aligns with the gap of the clamp.

Sean

Very nice Buster! FYI, you don't need to remove the stator cover to get to the slave cylinder. Just a 5 mm allen bit with 5 inch extension.

Note that the green mark you made on the case for the shifter clamp isn't 100% needed. You can see the little dimple in the end of the shaft aligns with the gap of the clamp.

Sean

Good eyes! I never saw that.

Very nice Buster! FYI, you don't need to remove the stator cover to get to the slave cylinder. Just a 5 mm allen bit with 5 inch extension.

Hmm.. I had to change mine out once... I don't see how you can reach it without removing the middle gear cover. I'm assuming you did a typo when you said stator cover.

Buster, I removed the middle gear cover only. I didn't touch the stator cover.

Buster, I removed the middle gear cover only. I didn't touch the stator cover.

:hmmm: I'm pretty sure I put that in my write up... once the middle gear cover was off, you had access to the slave clutch master.

Thank you for all of the diagrams. I just removed my stator cover last night to replace the stator. I discovered the magnets that sit around the stator (seen in image #11 above) have a few chips and 1 is cracked. Can anyone assist with A part or parts I would I need to replace these?

I don't see the image you've noted. Can you get a picture of your part and the damaged areas. Also, need to know what year the bike is so I can accrately tell you if I have the parts.

Sean

I don't see the image you've noted. Can you get a picture of your part and the damaged areas. Also, need to know what year the bike is so I can accrately tell you if I have the parts.

Sean
I dont have access to a camera at the moment.
I am referring to the images in the first post on this thread. (#11 down)

I have a 92. The damaged area is the magnets that sit just outside of the stator (not the ones attached to it). Is that helpful enough?

Thank you,

Paul

Last edited:
It looks like the magnets are attached to the Flywheel and therefor I may need to replace the flywheel.

Uhg!

I would still like to actually see the cracks. Not to say you don't know what you are looking at but want to ensure you aren't talking about expansion cracks (much like seen on your stock rotors that many confuse as cracks).

I may have a few flywheels on hand I can sell but them suckers aren't terribly cheap. I show they are nearly $800 new! Shoot me off an email and i'll check stock and get you a price. I want to make sure that you really do need it first. I'm wondering even if they have some cracked magnets if it will even hurt anything. I've not ever replaced one except to damage caused by outside sources (crash/drop/etc...).

Sean
[email protected]

I changed my whole unit out (got a good deal on the whole thing....cover, stator, pickup coils etc...) EXCEPT the cover didnt come with the center cover!
Soooo....I go to swap mine over onto it and the #$%^&%$ bolts wont budge! I think now they are actually stripped!!!!
drill them out???
and if so....what size bolts should I use???

Since you have the whole cover off and are just trying to get the center cover screws out, maybe a little heat from a propane torch on the back side would help expand the metal a bit which in turn may make the bolts fit in a bit looser than they are now:confused2: I've removed damaged hex head bolts before by finding a torx that was just a bit larger and tapping it in. I then put a socket on the torx and away I went. I had to resort to doing this on my boss's HD Dyna lowrider. He bought a new, gold cover that went on the primary and the existing screws were all loctited in and would not budge. :bang head:

The screws are 6mm x 1 I believe. Not sure on the length though

Thanks Mike, didn't know the pitch. Length is 16 mm from top of head to end.

got my stator/and pickup coil assy changed....put the vboost on open 100% of the time....drilled the plates off the pipes....drilled the holes for added rumble
(decided to leave the plates off on this exhaust....sounds throatier!)
my neighbor will surely hate me now if she already didnt....hahaha!
BTW...THANK YOU ALL for all the help with my latest problem (pickup coils!)
special thanx to Mark for putting up with my stupidity with ohm meters!
and thank you to birdoprey for the COPS!
IF no one has tried them yet....let me tell you, the bike starts REAL quick now!
peace out all....I'm going cruisin!!!!!!:punk:
Randy

I'm replacing my stator and have done the steps, hex screws out, but the cover won't budge. What am I missing?

Latest posts

Back