Can one use too much Seafoam?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93max

Reaction score
Well 1.5 weeks ago I put her away running great! I've been bragging on it and everything.
Before I left for vacation I put Seafoam in the tank.
Unfortunately me being the idiot I am, I poured it in without measuring .
Soooooo today, I go to take her for a rip go into the garage put the choke on and it starts up and idles high.
After about 20 seconds I start lowering the idle and as I do it it starts running rougher and rougher.
I take it all the way off and it it stalls?
I"M LIKE WTF? I put this thing away purrrrrrring like a kitten and NOW it runs like shit! :bang head:
I finally get it to start part choke part throttle and it sounds like shit I limp it for a ride around the block and it won't idle at all and still sounds like junk.
Could the seafoam be messing the pilot jets up?
I just went out at lunch and bought a helmet and a jacket!
This sucks!
!st time in my 50yrs I used this stuff and I could have messed up a good running bike!
These are my thoughts.
IF it is the seafoam, I'll drain the tank and bowls.
Put fresh fuel in the tank,
Open bowls and flush them out with fresh fuel.
Install 4 new plugs.
I'm REALLY hoping this is what happened.
Is this possible?
Any thoghts would be GREATLY appreciated.

I've never put seafoam in a bike tank before. Only my vehicles. Always used Stabil if Parker. I'm curious on this situation too because I get a discount on the stuff and was gonna just dump some on the tank and go but who knows? I know it can break up and junk in the bowls that was in there.

You can't put too much seafoam. I was having some carb problems on a xs400 and was running straight seafoam from a makeshift tank. Motor seemed to run similar to non ethanol premium. If anything, you probably just broke some debris free and it is plugging the jets a little. I say take her for a hell of a ride and see if you can't break that free.

I used a whole can in my '85 several times after I bought it. (carbs were bad shape) It only ran better. I don't believe it is possible to use too much. It may have broke some junk loose in the fuel system while parked.

The weird thing is I poured it in and never started it till yesterday.
1.5 weeks later.

Are you running a coated / sealed gas tank?, if not, chances are, the seafoam is doing its job by loosening up rust and crap from inside your tank. Of course, that crap will make its way into your carbs / jets.

Most likely cleaned some crud from out of the tank which promptly went into the carbs. As said, an engine will run on straight seafoam so you really can't "overdose" it.

Can try draining the bowls and fresh fuel, but sounds like some crud plugged the pilots.

Most likely cleaned some crud from out of the tank which promptly went into the carbs. As said, an engine will run on straight seafoam so you really can't "overdose" it.

Can try draining the bowls and fresh fuel, but sounds like some crud plugged the pilots.

Yeah, it doesn't even want to start without some choke/throttle and when it finally starts, it has to be on the mains.
Looks like a "shotgun" is in order!

I'm going to drain the tank and put plugs in it ....but I suspect I'm going to do the above as it won't idle. So to me that's pilot's.
At least on any other bike I've owned.
Just blows as it WAS running great!

The weird thing is I poured it in and never started it till yesterday.
1.5 weeks later.

I don't think it's the sea foam. I've used it twice on mine, never hurt it. Maybe just coincidence that happened like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's the sea foam. I've used it twice on mine, never hurt it. Maybe just coincidence that happened like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How come I can't win the lottery like that.

Put it to bed purring but as I've read it can wake up with a cold!

Just a note:
I'm selling a coated tank from a 91. Never have to worry about rust in your system again.

Ok looks like the left rear carb/cylinder is most of the culprit.
All of them need some love!
I drained fuel,replaced plugs and did the peashooter to that cylinder..
I also backed out the FS to 3 turns.
The front left carb was at I think 2.5 out so I matched it.
One warm it now will idle. Not good but at least it's idling.
It won't take throttle with the lid off.
One other weird thing is, My neighbor put both his hands over the intakes on the box and it revved up to I think 3500+!
So my guess there is other issues with the carbs.
Looks like shotguns going to happen after all.
There also is rust in the tank.
So that will get done also.
OH WELL, I got 2 weeks of fun out of it!
Looks like I gotta take the nova out now to get my thrills!
Poor girl got neglected since mr max came along.

How do you get the f'ing seat off of this thing! I took the 2 silver flat head screws off and couldn't get it to budge!

OK, Just pulled the seat to check the filter and it look like it was replaced not too long ago.
I mean the filter element looks brand new and the plastic is bright white!

How do you get the f'ing seat off of this thing! I took the 2 silver flat head screws off and couldn't get it to budge!
I had a hell of a time to find out how to pull the seat for the first time as well.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Did the shot gun to the carby in question and she seems to be running great!
Now to do the other 3 and a sync !

Latest posts

Back