Jetting up or down

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racerboy

Reaction score
I am sure this has been discussed, but I cannot find a thing about this topic. So, fellows, my current setup, K&N filter, Dale walker slips, bike runs fine, but I believe its running maybe rich, without pulling the plugs, the tip of the pipes are alittle black, I heard maybe jet it down one size? Not sure what the stock mains are, never ever checked, appreciate some feedback.

152.5 is stock main jet and that does seem rich on every Vmax that I've had, regardless of mods. "Lean is mean" as they say. Just put 150's in my 05, it really isn't that hard on these bikes.

rgr that, I know how to do the chg out, just a slight ass pain. So, I'll jet it down to 150's, Mikunis right? I priced them out, Mang!! $12-13 a piece! Ive had a many carbureted bikes, a slew of jets, hard part is reading the numbers! At least I can tell a Keihin from a Mikuni! see what happens.. thxs Paul.

Jets R Us has them. 3-4 bucks for non mikuni or 6-7 bucks for genuine mikuni. Haven't had an issues with either.

i am running stock everything aside from COPs and drilled exhaust and my plugs are white,even with 3 turns a/f.
i live at sea level.

Well fellows, happy to report, my pile O jets that I have collected thru the yrs beginning with my 1986 FZ 750 and the FZR 1000, found 4 150's still in the Dyno jet bag, black ink stamp still on them!! next step, ass pain time.

Be careful, DJ 150's are not Mikuni 150's!
Jet_Numbers_Cross_Reference_Sheet.jpg

Well fellows, happy to report, my pile O jets that I have collected thru the yrs beginning with my 1986 FZ 750 and the FZR 1000, found 4 150's still in the Dyno jet bag, black ink stamp still on them!! next step, ass pain time.

150 Dyno's are going to be kind of lean, don't you think? Many with similar set-ups use the Mikuni 150's with success.

DJ 150's will be way too lean, I know I tried 650ft elevation, screaming fast on the low end but you'll loose everything on the top, I'm at 147.5 Mikuni's but I have a full exhaust now 3rd clip on the stage 7 needles and spring's slides drilled blah blah blah LOL, oh and I had the stock set up when I played with the DJ 150's just sayin. good luck sounds like the mod monkey's gonna bite you soon haha

Now, the float valve brass seat, it will twist in its hole, but will not come out. Not much room at all, the best I can do is grip them with needle nose vise grips and twist, pull alittle, chances of bending the float rod is high. any ideas?

DJ 150's will be way too lean, I know I tried 650ft elevation, screaming fast on the low end but you'll loose everything on the top, I'm at 147.5 Mikuni's but I have a full exhaust now 3rd clip on the stage 7 needles and spring's slides drilled blah blah blah LOL, oh and I had the stock set up when I played with the DJ 150's just sayin. good luck sounds like the mod monkey's gonna bite you soon haha

Well, I tell ya, I'll put the DJ's in, then take it for a run, see how it goes. If its worse, I'll go ahead and order the genuine 150s. BTW, Im in process as well of replacing all the shitty phillip screw heads with allens, also, all the rubber O-rings etc, and gas lines. Also, the brass drain bolt on the bowl? I ended up using O-rings from my race chains, fit perfectly, even did a leak down, no leak!

DynoJet 160's are equal to Mikuni 150's.
Look at the chart on the first page of this thread.
I would NOT run DJ150 mains, that's way too lean.

Well, I tell ya, I'll put the DJ's in, then take it for a run, see how it goes. If its worse, I'll go ahead and order the genuine 150s. BTW, Im in process as well of replacing all the shitty phillip screw heads with allens, also, all the rubber O-rings etc, and gas lines. Also, the brass drain bolt on the bowl? I ended up using O-rings from my race chains, fit perfectly, even did a leak down, no leak!

Pretty sure you can get a good price from Dannymax at brc carb works for those parts.

Latest posts

Back